“Really nice food, nice atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rainforest - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Rainforest
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Really nice food, nice atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

The food is very nice and the desserts are jaw dropping. I liked the food - and the prices are very reasonable. Worth a look.

Visited July 2012

Invercargill
“Appalling customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Two weekends ago we were intending to be in Dunedin on a Sunday night and so decided to go the The Rainforest as it was very close to where we were staying. Rang the restaurant four times on Saturday evening and nobody answered and there was no answer machine - just the beep of a fax machine (which is a bit strange as according to their website they do not have a fax number). In the end I sent them an email (via their contact page on their website) asking for a table for two for the next night and giving them my contact details and asking them to confirm the booking. Did not hear back from them so once we got to Dunedin I rang them two more times - but once again got no reply. I asked at the reception desk of our accommodation and they said to their knowledge they were still open. Ever optimistic we went along at 7.30pm to find the place closed up - but no sign on the door saying they were no longer open. If they were closed for a vacation or a bereavement I totally understand - but they need to update their website/have an answer machine with a message stating their availability and maybe put a sign on the door saying closed and for how long.
Very disappointed in the total lack of customer service - I have still never had a response to the email I sent them and after the total absence of contact from them or availability information I most certainly will never waste my time again attempting to go there for a meal.
I therefore warn any potential customers to check first that this restaurant is open and in fact still operating rather than just turning up hoping to be served.

• Visited March 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

Terrible service, the chicken meals not cooked thoroughly, very dissapointing, won't be coming back?...............,,,,,,',',,

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Zac123076
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Food was great - best Beef Rendang we have had since 5 years ago in Cape Town. A bit of a fuss when we arrived - we had taken our own beer as their website said BYO but when we got there they insisted it was only for wine. Eventually they relented and let us drink our beer!

Visited November 2012
TAUPO
“Real Malaysian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Enjoyed the food so much my Malay wife insisted we return so dined here both nights we were in Dunedin.Reasonable prices for good sized portions in pleasant surroundings most mains in the NZ$20-25 bracket.

• Visited October 2012