“Huge Rainbow!”

Wild Angler - Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: South Island, New Zealand fly fishing guides for Queenstown, Wanaka and Dunedin. Queenstown-based helicopter wilderness expeditions to the classic backcountry rivers of Fiordland and Mt Aspiring National Parks. Lower South Island fly fishing road trips connecting Queenstown and Wanaka to Dunedin. Dunedin- and Queenstown-based day trips to the Mataura River and other Otago and Southland streams. All-inclusive packages available. Corporate inquiries welcome. Quality gear and professional photography.
“Huge Rainbow!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had an amazing day fishing with Casey. Took me to a remote lake where we were not merely the only the fisherman but also the only signs of human life; it was absolutely beautiful in such a prescribe setting. The weather was challenging but Casey worked tirelessly to find the good spots for fish. Caught a nice brown, several strikes and ended the day with a monster rainbow! All in all I would highly recommend Wild Angler to anyone serious about fly fishing and serious about catching big fish!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank michaeljaffee

Wanaka, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fishing with Casey Cravens”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Beautiful river, great company and guiding, rising trout. I'll fish with you again anytime Casey! :-)

Visited December 2013
2 Thank DerekGrzelewski
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Best Fly Fishing Guide the New Zealand Has to Offer”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Fishing with Casey of Wild Angler was one of the highlights of the 6 months I spent in New Zealand. Casey is a superb guide and has tremendous knowledge of the land and (more importantly) the waters of New Zealand. Casey is a also a terrific and a very patient teacher. After 2 days on the water with him I was casting further and more accurately than I have in my whole life (a necessary improvement if one wants to catch the intelligent brown trout in the big waters).

In addition to his excellent knowledge and teaching, Casey brings a passion for fishing that made the days on the river unforgettable. He came to collect me at 5 in the morning and we fished until after the sun went down -- when you're spending the day with Casey you are spending the day with a man that loves what he does and who wants to share that joy with you. Spending the day with Casey felt more like spending the day with a good friend; in addition to discussing what the trout are biting on we discussed movies, literature, drama, and our favorite travel and fishing destinations around the world. Since I have been back home in the states I have continued to stay in touch with my friend Casey and it is always exciting to revisit our adventures on the Mataura, and sharing new stories and pictures from the fishing we have done since. Fish with Casey -- you will have an adventure you'll never forget.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Charley S
Paris, France
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Wild Angler is run by an american guide Casey who have settled in New Zealand more than 25 years ago, so he knows what Living The Dream means!! Taking you fishing for Casey is not just putting you in the right place with the right fly, but a truly human experience where it's all about sharing a common passion for fishing, nature, cooking, good books... everything that makes us happy to be alive :)

Visited February 2013
3 Thank bdevilmorin
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“South Island Fly Fishing Heaven”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have fished with Casey from Wild Angler on three occasions and have never been disappointed. Casey is not only an expert angler but a skilled teacher of the great art of Fly Fishing.
If you are a seasoned expert or a rank beginner Casey is able to build a trip that will not only meet your needs but improve your ability. Casey has a amazing knowlegde of the New Zealand South Island and has consistently put me onto great trophy fish. I have done a fair bit of fly fishing and days on the water with Casey are always my favorite.
In our last adventure Casey guided a friend who had never caught a trout before, and myself, at the end of this back country trip my friend had released around 15 fish in excess of 5 pound including an 8 pound trophy while I managed over 20 fish released up to 11 pound.
If you are l;ooking for a trip tailor made to your needs give Casey a call

Visited November 2012