“Comfortable stay”

Econo Lodge Alcala
Brisbane, Australia
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Good sized kitchenette and a really cute loft bedroom for the kids up a pretty steep staircase. The room was more that adequate for our needs and the staff were friendly and helpful. Loved the free washing machine and dryer. Very handy after a day out sightseeing and packing up our uni student. Nothing was too much trouble for Gary and we appreciated the personal touch! It is on the main drag but we didn't notice any traffic noise.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vernon, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We found the location to be very handy and convenient to attractions and places to eat. While the room décor is a little dated, that to me is not important is the room is clean, the beds are comfortable, and the price is fair. On all these points, the Alcala comes through. Rooms are very spacious. The staff is friendly, and helpful. The hair dryer in our room did not work having a cut cord. Another one was brought to us promptly. One negative is the WiFi did not work well. Even moving outside on the second floor gave a poor connection well within sight of the front office, where I presume the router was.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I found myself without accommodation in Dunedin recently after a mix-up with bookings at another motel. It was pouring with rain and after walking George Street I came across the Alcala. I wanted somewhere that my uni daughters could also come to and sleep if they wanted time out from flats / halls of residence and that I could cook in. I planned to stay just one night at the Alcala and then move into something more 2013 but after the first night we were so cosy we cancelled the booking and stayed where we were for the full 3 nights. The unit was large and tidy and although dated it had everything we needed plus a very helpful front of office staff. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to all.

Room Tip: I stayed in 21 which was on the top floor corner room . It was light and the only drawback was a bit...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Takamatua, null, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is a place I have returned to several times over the years. It is handy to town. Very 70s, a bit of a lost era architecturally - pseudo spanish come gothic. Now looking tired. For all that the proprietor is very friendly and went out his way to be of help when I turned up without the booking I thought I had. The room rate was very good value with free wifi for 100Mb. The smell of cooked fish lingered in the room from a previous occupant but I could hardly complain, given the muddle up and the help I received. I was allowed to leave my car there for the morning without cost which was very helpful.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are better and the back (east side) rooms quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Niall H
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Want to step back into the 70's then this is the place. In MAJOR need of an upgrade. Stayed in a family unit. Toilet had round window with blue glass. Toilet was also blue with the cistern and seat being badly scratched. Stairs to mezzenne floor ( 2 singles beds) were dangerous - very steep, carpeted with each narrow step being partially cut out to make them even narrower.. Very dangerous coming down especially if minimal light. Friendly reception.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have been staying at the Alcala one night at a time every few months on business trips for the past six years. I have no need to look for anywhere else in to stay in Dunedin. Gary and his staff are always very welcoming and this place is always spotless. Although a little dated (as all motels get as time goes by) the Alcala is comfortable except for the lounge chairs which could do with updating, there is a variety of units available, all of which are spacious. It is just 10 minutes walk to a variety of retaurants and bars so the location is very good. I have no hesitation in recommending the Alcala to other travellers, especially for those on a budget, very good value for money here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Palmerston North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

We have discovered an excellent family motel unit in Dunedin - sleeps up to 7 people & very suitable for adults. it has a separate bedroom with queen bed plus an upstairs mezzanine area in 2 parts both with 2 single beds. This has proven very helpful with an adult family attending graduation ceremonies (probably not so suitable with younger children with the stairs?) There is a single bed in the lounge as the 7th bed. The kitchen is compact & the only slight negative is the smallish bathroom but that is manageable ...though the toilet is a separate room but only accessible via the bathroom. The unit is tucked right away from the road so nice & quiet. The staff are very helpful & friendly. We would warmly recommend -in fact we have booked it again for another graduation ceremony weekend!

Room Tip: Excellent family unit sleeping 7 is Room 12
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family