“Comfortable, welcoming hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Dunedin
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Comfortable, welcoming hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just returned from spending 2 nights in this property while combining work and chasing Newcastle United to Dunedin.
The hotel worked for both our double room being clean, comfortable and contemporary.
Conveniently located on Dunedin's main street its ideal for exploring this charming and historic city.
Staff were exceptionally helpful and gave useful advice with (as well as arranging) transport.
As a business location, it could probably benefit from having a stand-alone business centre rather than the two computers adjacent to the lobby.
Also, and this is a general issue I have with mid-range and premium hotels, if adjacent backpacker hostels can offer free Wi-Fi how come hotels charge for the same service?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotelstaffmember, Manager at Scenic Hotel Dunedin City, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Nigel B,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay wirh us. Thanks also for your great comments regarding our clean and comfy rooms - but best of that our staff were exceptionally helpful - all staff are delighted to read this. Thanks again and hopefully we can host you another time in the future.

Kind regards. Greg.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Thai first
Arrowtown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Lovely room on the 8th floor. Extremely comfortable king size bed, great pillow selection. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel is situated on the Main Street, lots of restaurants in the area and less than 5 minutes walk to the casino.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, book an executive room on the 8th floor, but ask not to be put in room 812, the a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotelstaffmember, Manager at Scenic Hotel Dunedin City, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear gillgs,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate all of your fantastic comments, and all staff will be especially happy that you mentioned staff to be friendly and helpful - you have made our day! Thanks again and we look forward to hopefully hosting you again some time.

Kind regards. Greg
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have regularly stayed at the Scenic City Dunedin, it has always been my go to hotel for Dunedin partly because, as others have noted, of the friendly and helpful staff. On this business trip i was upgraded to the new top floor with a room for me and a work room. These are a real addition for business travellers to Dunedin and for larger family groups as well. The views are wonderful there was a lovely deck(would be great in summer), the non bedroom room is really well appointed for all sorts of purposes (it has a small kitchen, a non shower bathroom) and once again I could not fault the way this hotel operates. The staff really are outstanding.

Room Tip: If you are on business and need a work space to see people this is a very good option. If you are a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sarah2708,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Also thanks very much for your great comments concerning friendly and helpful staff who were outstanding, and well appointed rooms. Hopefully we can host you again some time soon.

Kind regards. Greg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed with the family and booked two doubles for the room.
Place was good also walking distance to shops and movie cinemas.
Hairdresser was also in part of the building.
Car parking was available which is handy.
Only negatives was I should have booked queen size rooms as the double beds was quite small.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotelstaffmember, Manager at Scenic Hotel Dunedin City, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Michelle L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback and hopefully can host you again some day.

Kindest regards. Greg.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Two small disadvantages, otherwise very good hotel. Didn't think the full hot breakfast was very good value for money. Have had much better. And not very sound proof rooms - noise above and beside us kept us awake. But otherwise, staff were very friendly and helpful, room was very large, clean, warm, with extra comfy beds and good facilities. Great location - walking distance to Octagon, train station etc. Room service dinner was nice too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotelstaffmember, Manager at Scenic Hotel Dunedin City, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear TeddyRiva,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Thanks also for your wonderful comments regarding the staff being friendly and helpful, room being very large and clean with extra comfy beds and good facilities - also that our location was great and room service dinner very nice - we really appreciate all of these comments and hope that one day we may host you again some time.

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were fortunate to stay on the top floor with fabulous views across the city and towards the harbour. The team are fantastic with a special mention to housekeeping who take particular pride in their work. Had both dinner one night in the restaurant - the Blue Cod with Crayfish sauce was a stand out!! Also recommend breakfast - we dined off the a la carte menu - fantastic eggs! The buffet selection also looked comprehensive. Great location, cheap Valet Parking and I almost forgot ..... the down mattress toppers guaranteed a blissful nights sleep! We'll definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotelstaffmember, Manager at Scenic Hotel Dunedin City, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Jac B,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate all of your great comments especially regarding the fantastic team with stand out mention of the housekeeping team - you have made their day! Also the kitchen team will be very happy with your lovely comments regarding food - so thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again sometime.

St. George, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I found this hotel to be well located and the reception staff friendly. The rooms were very clean and the views were indeed scenic. I was here for five nights. The two downsides were that I could hear the guests above me walking about as the building is older, and he lifts running also woke me up. I just put in my earplugs and made do. The thing that perplexed me was the policies of the restaurant. I bought a very nice bottle of local wine to share with clients, however my new clients do not drink. I did not want to waste this $75 bottle of wine and wanted to drink it before my international flight in the morning. This hotel offers room service. Their restaurant is quite good. However, I did not feel like eating alone in my room again this evening. I called to ask if it was OK to bring my glass of wine with me to eat in the restaurant. They refused to let me do this. I pointed out that if I ordered room service and had the food delivered I could happily drink my own wine, so what is the difference to them? They could not grasp the concept, so I ended up eating elsewhere this evening. Too bad they were inflexible on this matter, since I will end up spending over $100 on a celebratory meal for my last night in New Zealand at an establishment that is more accommodating.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Brian Head C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Thanks also for your wonderful comments regarding our great location, friendly reception staff and that your room was very clean. We are sorry that our policy of not allowing guests to BYO their own beverage was not to your satisfaction. Thank you again and we trust you had safe travels back home.