“Best place”
Review of Kiwis Nest

Kiwis Nest
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Very good place to stay. Pleasent atmosphere and very freindly and helpfull staff. Al times clean. We stayed in a double room ensuite and sleept great. The best hotel stay on our 3 week trip to NZ and one af the cheapest. So its more than excellent to the price.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helge M
Jeremy H, Reception /Housekeeper at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for your very nice review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
May you continue to have favourable stays in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed here two nights in one of their double ensuite rooms- much cheaper than any hotels nearby and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Their upstairs kitchen is a beautiful place to cook and eat dinner that catches the evening sun. Really enjoyed our time here, would definitely choose this backpackers over others in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8, which was great but not as sunny as some other rooms on the other side of the h...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Siobhan M
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This place is like a home away from home. This huge villa is set in beautiful gardens on the main street in Dunedin. Just a 5 minute walk from the city centre but still very quiet. The first night I spent in a dorm room with Irish, German and Chinese girls as there were no private rooms left. We were in bunk beds which were very comfortable. It was great getting to know different people and have a bit of a laugh. The next day I was able to get a private room with a double bed, tv, dressing table, wardrobe, sink and small fridge. The room was basic but very clean and comfortable. I also had a door out onto the garden which was wonderful. I was situated next to the "common room" where everyone gathered for breakfast. There are 4 or 5 kitchens dotted around this huge villa so I was able to take my pick. There was tea and coffee available and the kettle was always hot. The staff were laid back and very helpful and friendly. I usually stay at more "upmarket" places but found "Kiwis Nest" so lovely that I will definately be staying there on my next visit. I thoroughly recommend this place for anyone wishing clean and cheap accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Theby
Jeremy H, Owner at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Thanks for your great comments, will pass on your appreciation of the gardens to my Mum, as she has spent many hours there, pruning roses , weeding and trying to set up a fresh herb garden.

Reviewed 17 November 2010

I travel quite frequently for work, and find this place to be really convenient, with nice modern decor (but with the comfy home feeling going on as well). Kiwi's nest is always clean and the beds are really comfy. Showers are good and the staff are really friendly -nothing is ever a bother. Its an excellent alternative to the more expensive motels nearby .
Well done Kiwisnest and keep up the good work. I'll be back again (and again!)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank plonky67
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We only stayed here for a night in a double en-suite room. The room was quite cramp but tidy and clean. There's a TV, a fridge, coffee/tea making facilities, a writing table and an old cupboard. The size of the basin is just enough for you to wash your hands. I have to fill the kettle from the tap at the lounge. The lounge area was spacious and bright. The new kitchen at the roof top looked cool. It's located close to the universiity, walking distance to CBD and the Dunedin Botanic Garden, convenient. For a place that you could sleep well, wash yourself, relax and feel quite comfortable and private at NZD70, I think it's a good value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank qriousity
Reviewed 20 April 2008

This backpacker hostel was situated within walking distance of the city centre,but has easy parking. The person who ran it was very helpful and friendly, bed clean and comfortable, showers and the new kichen were great. This rambling Victorian villa is lovely, but it does require some decorating and updating, eg peeling wallpaper and broken lampshades, very old bedding, kitchen drawers lined with old newspaper. I stayed on a Saturday night and was kept awake by revellers shouting in the street well into the early hours. Standard backpacker prices, but I have stayed in true luxury for the same money.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank LancashireTravelfan
Reviewed 28 October 2006

I think that I stayed in the exact same room as the previous reviewer, judging from their pictures. I was pleasantly suprised by this backpackers. The comforters on the beds and the artwork on the walls are quite dated, but the sheets were clean, the bathroom was modern and spotless, and the room is equipped with extras that you might expect in a motel. In our room we had a tv, a microwave, a fridge, and tea and coffee making facilities.

The property has a unique, "character" way of heating the place--there is a log burner in the middle of the house that they light in the evenings. It provides hot water to the rooms and heats the place. I was VERY skeptical about this heater (hilariously named "Gentle Ben"). I like to have some control over the temperature of the room, but this is not possible at this place. But I must say that, for my wimpy self on a pretty cold spring night, I was completely warm enough. My showers did not run out of hot water, though they were not extremely long (10-15 minutes) and once I really had to crank the handle all the way over to get it hot enough.

When I called to book, I was told that the room rate was $10 more than their website claims. Hopefully they rectify that. I still think that NZ$70 for our ensuite room was good value.

Overall, was very happy with Kiwis Nest. The location was perfect--very close (1 block) to University of Otago, near all kinds of shops and restaurants, and about 10 minutes' walk to the Otagon. Very quiet in the evenings.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mitre10