“Friendly, cheap and excellent!”
Review of Kiwis Nest

Kiwis Nest
Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed 25 August 2014

A lovely lady came in and welcomed me and boyfriend into this large budget hostel/accommodation. We had had a very long journey so were a bit dazed and tired and Wendy could not do enough to make us feel both welcome. She showed us around and told us all the good places to go in the city. Large rooms with clean showers nearby and a warm heater with all the mod cons. A great stay here- would recommend for solo travellers who are feeling a bit home sick!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Holly C
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you so much for your review on kiwis nest
It was a real pleasure having you stay here with us
I hope if you are ever back this way you will call in to say hello
Safe travels
Kind regards Wendy

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The host was very friendly and helpful. Location was near city. The room is clean and big. There is no stove for cooking but microwave was available. It would be good if there is stove given that the common area is very big and spacious. Would recommend staying at Kiwis due to it'd cleaniness and affordable price. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Childcraft G
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you so much for your recent review & kind words
We certainly pride ourselves on our cleanliness at Kiwis Nest
There are two Kitchen areas for cooking
Our apologies you weren't made aware of this on your arrival
Safe Travels
Kind Regard Wendy

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Wendy makes this place perfect. She is very accommodating, helpful, and understanding.

I booked a single room which was perfect. I had a good bed, desk, and closet. There were plenty of hooks to hang things up. I had a space heater to warm up the room perfectly. There are numerous bathrooms available and the showers are really good. The kitchen area is upstairs and has everything you might need. There are phones that you can use for free to make local calls which is handy to book tours ect. It's only a few minutes walk to downtown and the university area.

The only downfall I would say is that I didn't meet other travelers here. It's more a non party atmosphere that is quite. Perfect for me but maybe not for you.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your recent review
It was a real pleasure having you stay with us
Kind Regards
Wendy

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Comfy warm room (we were in female dorm, room 4, complete with sink, small fridge, table and TV)
Friendly, cosy lounge area with free tea and coffee, good for talking to other guests. Free wifi!
Great location - quick walk down George St to the Octagon, loads of eating and drinking places!
Showers were fine, we didn't use the kitchens.
Wendy is lovely and really welcoming to her hostel. She was great when I left my trainers!
We would highly recommend this hostel - we chose to stay an extra night, and will definitely be coming back if we're in Dunedin again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your lovely review
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us
I am glad you received you trainers before flying home
Would love to see you back at kiwis nest if you are ever back in Dunedin
Safe Travels

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Standards of cleanliness have slipped since Steve sold. I was horrified to find someone else's toenails on the floor of my room, skirting boards in bathroom were dirty and bedside table had cup rings that I wiped off myself. If it hadn't been so late at night by then I wd've looked for somewhere else to stay.

I was staying in the self contained unit on Union street: when I was taken out to it Wendy said the reason the door was extremely hard to open was because it was a heavy door. I have opened many double glazed ranch sliders and Wendy, this door is clearly broken, get this seen to and fixed ASAP. I am a strong person and I had serious problems opening and closing it so God help any visitors who are weaker than me!

The curtain for the shower wasn't wide enough so the water went all over the floor, a large corner shower needs a bath sized curtain. Also there was nowhere to hang up my suit. Not even one hook to hang anything in the whole unit. Please remedy these two defects as well. Not hard to find a larger curtain or put up a hook or three.

When I checked out I told staff what was wrong with my stay, including handing over the offending toe nails. I didn't hear one single "sorry" but re toe nails was told "I don't know how that could have happened"!! At which I replied "I do, someone cut their toe nails onto the floor and whoever vacuumed the room didn't do a good job."

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RBerry163
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

I have discussed your comments with the staff that were on duty when you left
I sincerely apologies for the bad experience you have had & assure you that this certainly not the normal standard we try to maintain here at kiwis nest

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I can't possibly rave about this place enough. Friendly, attentive staff, one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, great but quiet location and just that genuine warm and homey atmosphere one looks for when traveling (and the prices absolutely can't be beat). I was honestly so sad that I was only there for one night, and if I'm ever in Dunedin again, I know exactly where to stay!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Emmie T
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you very much for your review of Kiwis nest I`m glad you enjoyed your stay with us & your kind words
Safe travels & if ever back in Dunedin call in & see us
Kind Regards Wendy

Reviewed 1 August 2014

awesome place! Wendy is a great host she makes the place feel very homely and makes you feel very welcome to stay. The whole hostel is very warm i didnt even need to use the heater in my room (12). very clean and quiet. love the idea of the kitchenettes around the house. kiwis nest is so close to the uni and polytech so is ideal for distance students going for block courses (as i was) and it is very close to town.
cant wait to come down to visit again next month wendy!!!

Room Tip: room 12 is nice and warm