This "4 star Hotel" is simply a well located Backpacker HOSTEL which is marketed to gain bookings as the more that "come and run" the better it suits the owner/manager who simply charges exorbitant prices for less than 4 star. A communal fridge for 15 rooms? Not 4 star! Small, cramped rooms? not 4 star. We arrived at 4:30, left at 4:55 and were notified at 5:00 pm that it cost us $350 for disagreeing with the one sided attitude of the owner/manager who ignored the first two requests to see the room as he preferred to extol the virtues of Dunedin and surrounds to HIS satisfaction. On the third request to see the room his manner became petulant and aggressive saying "This is not how we do things here!" Having clarified that we simply wanted to see the room we were shown two options. Small and smaller were the choices! Had we been out for 1 or 2 nights away from the humdrum of everyday life this property would have sufficed but as part of an extended road trip with several bags and refrigeration needs, this property failed to deliver 4 star standards.
This is not the first scathing review of this property on Trip Advisor and where there is smokethere is certainly fire. The question is, why does Trip Advisor appear to be ignoring these reviews and not re appraising the standards of this property which is a 2 Star Backpacker Hostel or B&B at best.
Owner remains friendly unless you disagree with him. We were charged for nil services and have not been the first or last to feel ripped off by this deceptive practice which will be taken up with the Otago Chamber of Commerce as well as Tourism New Zealand. Booking sites Must take some Duty of Care when allowing self regulated ratings to be offered to their clients.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to a special place in Dunedin. Relax in our European style family run Boutique Hotel close to inner city amenities with spectacular views of the City and harbour. Extensive renovations have been done to this former Christian Brothers 1920's stately residence transforming it into elegant heritage accommodation with 15 bedrooms and all with modern tiled en suites. The Brothers offers a mixture of convenience, history, charm, elegance and tranquillity, with the building retaining much of its original grandeur. Unfortunately the Hotel is unsuitable for infants, babies and young children under 16 and can't be accommodated. The Brothers is also quite different from anything else in Dunedin. The intention during the refurbishment was to be sympathetic to the building's history and wherever possible the original character has been retained. As a result most of our rooms are of a size often found in European Cities and maybe considered small by some. If room size is important to you or the prospect of walking 10 minutes uphill from the city centre is a daunting issue then other options maybe more suitable for you . A welcoming drink is offered early evening in the main Guest lounge. Book direct with us for better price and room options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Odigeo, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Brothers Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brothers Boutique Hotel Dunedin
- Brothers Boutique Dunedin