“The best!”

Ranked #1 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Sydney, Australia
“The best!”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Excellent! Very nice reception staff, good service. All is clean and new, not broken and of good quality. The room has many touches that makes it feel so luxurious. For example a light in a shelf in the kitchen and the bedlinen. The entire place breathes luxury, serenity, quality and relaxation. Quality pictures on the walls.
Highly recommendable!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I arrived part way through a business trip though New Zealand and feeling quite tired. This was such a pleasant overnight stop. The service was excellent and checkin was quick. The room had everything and more than expected - including a huge spa bath, which I didn't use, but maybe next time. A small kitchen included microwave, coffee-making gear, and everything else you might need, but only a short stroll away there are plenty of places to eat. Nice towels and other comforts allowed me to rest and I even got some paperwork done. WiFi wasn't free but there was a PC in the downstairs lounge so i was able to do some quick emails. Location is next to the university, but not so close to the centre of town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We have stayed at Bluestone on George several times over the last three years- sometimes twice in one year and generally for about two nights each time. The rooms are clean, comfortable and have everything you need for-self catering. There are lots of places to eat if you don't want to cook- all within 10 minutes walk. There isn't an extensive minibar - possibly to deter in-room parties and disturbances from these. So we would recommend getting a few snacks to tide you over until you can find a cafe etc or if you get the midnight munchies. Recommend getting a top floor room if they are available because you can be disturbed by people coming home later than you and clomping up the concrete external after-hours stairs chattering. The street noise is not bad at night as there isn't much vehicle traffic. But you're very close to the university and there can be some merry students going home joyfully who can wake you up- a common feature of George Street motels. If you are a regular booking is really easy - they just take your name as they have credit card details saved in their system.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Cosmo132
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed for a single night but wish we had booked two or three!

The modern accommodation was great: Bed, pillows, facilities, including spa. Friendly assistance when we checked in. Good location near centre of town with parking provided. We could walk to bars and restaurants. Washer/drier would have been handy on a longer trip.

Online booking via their own website easy and the price was reasonable.

Dunedin and surrounding area was lovely and deserved two or three days.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RM_Perth
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Quality fittings throughout. Couldn't fault it. Clean and very modern and elegant.
And that oh so comfortable bed. Our room had a small balcony with great views of Dunedin.

Driveway is a little steep but it is just a short stroll to City and shops.

There is a very nice reading lounge near the foyer and lots of little areas to sit outside.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catbark
Kaiwaka, Northland
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I booked a five-night stay for a conference over Queens' Birthday weekend, based largely on reviews I'd read here on Tripadvisor. The cost was a little pricey, but my expectations were correspondingly high, and I was not disappointed.

Having been picked up from the airport, the shuttle driver said as we approached that he'd drive right up to reception - I hadn't appreciated the steep driveway up from the road. It's steep! That shouldn't be an issue for most people, but if you're of limited mobility, and don't have your own car on hand to park near the entrance, it might be a hindrance.

I liked that I was escorted to my room by the duty manager after checking in. Very friendly, helpful service.

The room was very clean, and very comfortable. Also very quiet - although the motel was fully occupied every night I was there, I almost never heard any noise from the neighbours and when I did it tended to be when they were out in the courtyard when they were arriving or leaving. No noise at all came through the door connecting my room to another (which I've had problems with at other places).

I never heard the helicopter coming and going from the nearby hospital at night, either, though I did during the day. Don't know whether that was due to there being no flights during those hours or I was fast asleep, but the effect was the same. ;-)

The bathroom was a favourite - a walk-in shower always gets my vote. I loathe stepping over a lip (such as a bath) to get in. The shower had good water pressure, and you could adjust the spray pressure as easily as the temperature. Extra towels were on hand, so I could wrap my wet hair before drying off.

The motel makes much of being ecologically conscious in its information folder, and for once it was a place that lived by its word - towels left on the floor were changed, while towels on the towel rack were not (as I've had happen at other places, despite signs to the opposite in plain view). They recycle where-ever possible, and an extra rubbish bin for recyclables was provided in the kitchen.

I wish I'd paid attention to the information in front of me, and noted that there was a full laundry in my room - I would have brought fewer clothes! It's a great service to have a washer/dryer in your own room. Washing powder was provided.

The heater in the room bears a mention - it was good. I've stayed in a place in Christchurch before where a noisy fan heater was the only source of heat, and it couldn't be left on unattended (or when you were asleep) 'cos it blew its air onto the bed only a foot away, and yet some source of heat would have been nice during the night in winter. Not the case here, the heater was silent and effective, and could be turned on or off as you pleased. The heater was on when I arrived, so the room was warm. When I was there in the afternoon I could feel the cold of the night starting to creep in, but closing the curtains did a good job of stopping that.

The location couldn't be better. Close to the city shops, across the road from the Dunedin Archives New Zealand office, and only a block from the Otago Museum, amongst other attractions.

The motel can supply a cold breakfast (delivered to your room the night before), or you can order room service from the near-by Quality Hotel Cargills' "Atrium" restaurant to be delivered. It's a little bit costly - there's a charge on top of the restaurant prices - but well worth it if you don't want to go out for a meal. I ordered dinner from there on my last night, and it was delicious. There is a good range of restaurants and cafes within a short walking distance, too.

A cable is provided at the desk for an internet connection should you need it. I didn't use their service - at a minimum of $5 per day, it was cheaper to use my mobile phone as a modem even without a data plan on the phone for the small use I made of it. Not using their service also meant I could be online where I wanted to be, and wasn't restricted to the desk.

I think I got good value for my money during my stay, and Bluestone will definitely be on my list for places to stay next time I'm in Dunedin.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank wendyh65
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Great accommodation. Enjoyed the long weekend. Great studio room. Clean. Stylish. Good location. Friendly cat!!

• Stayed June 2011