“Do One Thing, and Do It Well”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Best Cafe

Best Cafe
Ranked #23 of 330 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Cuisines: Cafe, Seafood, New Zealand
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Established in 1932 the Best Cafe is a Dunedin icon. It has been through World War II and the Great Depression and has changed very little over the last 85 years it has been trading. I am very lucky to be running a restaurant that was originally started by my great-grandfather and then passed down to his son and family through until the 1980's. The following proprietors kept the traditions alive to maintain the Best Cafe's great reputation. As the proud owner of our old family restaurant my aim is to provide a truly unique dining experience, one where we can provide old fashioned, friendly service alongside a delicious plate of fresh, local seafood, golden hand cut chips and the best Bluff Oysters in New Zealand. If you want to take a trip down Nostalgia Lane and taste some traditional New Zealand fare then this is the place to visit.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Do One Thing, and Do It Well”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is quite truly my favourite fish and chip place in the whole world. Now that I no longer live in Dunedin, I find myself lunching at the Best Cafe straight from the plane when I visit. I did so this June, and it did not disappoint.

The menu is the usual basic, un-gourmet-ed, fish and chip shop offerings - fish, scallops, oysters, etc. but done fantastically. I usually consider cooking Bluff oysters an abomination, but at the Best Cafe I ordered them battered and fried and loved them. The chips are hand-cut, the batter crisp and light, the fish and seafood tender and perfectly cooked.

This is not exactly a healthy meal, and the decor is functional, but the food is worth it. They do takeaways, but for maximum freshness you want to eat in the restaurant.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank BinSF
Susannah Y, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Hi BinSF, thanks so much for your review! It's just brilliant that you enjoy our food so much as we take real pride in maintaining the great quality that Best Cafe has enjoyed over its 80 year life as a restaurant! I hope that you travel to NZ again soon as the Bluff Oysters are particularly plump and juicy this year! Thanks again, Susannah Yeoman

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A real experience and brilliant fish and chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

This restaurant/cafe was recommended by our taxi driver while we were visiting Dunedin. I understand that this is a bit of a cult restaurant with the locals and I can see why. It has the look and feel of a 1970's fish and chip diner with formica topped tables and no frills. The menu is superb with fish and chips the speciality. (Several types of fish available). We had Blue Cod and it was superb. A great place with an unusual atmosphere...highly recommended.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank TimetoTravelon
Susannah Y, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Hi Timeto Travelon, thanks so much for your review! So pleased that your taxi driver told you about us, good old local knowledge! Best Cafe is definitely a little piece of Dunedin history, with its 'unusual atmosphere', haha. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience and hope to see you again one day. Thanks again, Susannah Yeoman
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“A Dunedin legend. Not for vegos. Cheap and cheerful warning!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2008

A Dunedin legend. Not for vegos. Cheap and cheerful warning!!!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook