“Beautiful fish”

Ranked #17 of 346 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Established in 1932 the Best Cafe is a Dunedin icon. It has been through World War II and the Great Depression and has changed very little over the last 85 years it has been trading. I am very lucky to be running a restaurant that was originally started by my great-grandfather and then passed down to his son and family through until the 1980's. The following proprietors kept the traditions alive to maintain the Best Cafe's great reputation. As the proud owner of our old family restaurant my aim is to provide a truly unique dining experience, one where we can provide old fashioned, friendly service alongside a delicious plate of fresh, local seafood, golden hand cut chips and the best Bluff Oysters in New Zealand. If you want to take a trip down Nostalgia Lane and taste some traditional New Zealand fare then this is the place to visit.
Canberra, Australia
“Beautiful fish”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great fish and great value for money. Quick and friendly service as well. Stopped here just looking for something before going to the cadbury factory, this place was extremely great and well earned name Best Cafe.

Visited May 2014

Malaysia
“Excellent place for a good fish & chips meal”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Simple deco but the food was great. Loved the fish variety, we had blue cod, grouper,flounder,whitebait, and bluff oysters which happen to be in season. The batter was great and not oily. Chips was nice too.
The owner, beingonly the 4th over 82 years chatted with us. He was so honest he even told us where he got his supply. We were then directed to the supplier where we bought so much for dinner that we had to eat for the next two days!
The only thing that was rather disappointing was the bread servings. They were so thinly sliced.

• Visited May 2014
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
“Fabulous Fish!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Absolutely beautiful meals. I had the blue cod and chips which were lovely. Plenty of blue cod - a very generous serving, and my husband had the platter special which had oysters, scallops, mussels and chips. Both meals came with a side of coleslaw and bread and butter. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back next time we are in Dunedin. The decor was interesting and added to the charm of the restaurant. Very good value for money and the service was excellent. Hope they never change it!

• Visited May 2014
Wellington
“Excellent Fish and Chips”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Old fashioned cafe where you are given a plate of sliced bread and butter with your meals. Very friendly and helpful staff and beautifully cooked fish. My daughter had the blue cod bites and the meal looked so good I was envious that I didn't have that inside of the blue cod meal I had!

Visited April 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
“Tasty with retro decor”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

After reading negative recent reviews, I wasn't sure about trying the Best Cafe. I'm very glad we did. Excellent blue cod fish & chips, with a very good whitebait patty split with my husband for a starter. This was the third time I've tried whitebait on this trip, and it turns out that the third time was the charm. The tablecloths may be vinyl but the color scheme with the teal and orange chairs really works. We walked in shortly after 8, asking if we could still be served as the sign said they closed at 8. The chef said OK, and I'm thankful.

Visited April 2014