“Disappointed”

Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Re-opened Oct 2013 under new management. No Reservations We are an Italian inspired eatery overlooking the beach in St Clair, Dunedin. Wood-fired pizza and house-made pasta is our specialty. Lovely bar area to enjoy excellent espresso or a glass of Central Otago wine, available on tap. Open 7 days and nights
Reviewed 29 June 2014

As a Dunedin local, I was excited to see this beautiful cafe/restaurant take shape. Whilst it boosts a beautiful decor and stunning position overlooking the beach, that's where the praise ends. Have eaten there twice and won't go back. The food was average on both occasions and over priced. Such a shame as this is the general feeling by most people who have eaten there. I don't like giving negative feedback but I hope the owners read this and takes it as constructive criticism. We now go back to the great little cafe beside this place. Always great food at a great price. Surely it's obvious that you have stiff competition, you have to offer something special and The Esplanade needs to lift it's game as it would be such a shame to see it fail.

1  Thank ClaireS2000

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a local restaurant we visit often. Quality ingredients, great food and services is always good. Food and drinks menu are great with a good selection. The beach views are not bad either!!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went here with my parents for coffee but the menu looked so good we ended up each getting a dessert. It's an Italian cafe at St Clair and even though we didn't have a table right by the window, the views are big enough that you have great views of the sea and people surfing. It was pretty busy when we got there about 1pm on a Sunday. Service was great. Would go back to try the rest of the Italian menu, as the food everyone else was eating looked delicious.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stopped here for breakfast before leaving Dunedin. This is a great restaurant, it has recently been renovated and the decore is great, using old timbers and beams, it has a warm rustic feel.
The service was great - there were only a couple of people What really surprised me was the menu for breakfast - not your usual breaky dishes, so I was a bit anxious as to what we would get.My husband ordered a baked egg with eggplant, potato mix. He was impressed, it came in its own oven tray baked in the pizza oven. I ordered baked eggs with sage, spinach, tomato and crusty bread. It was excellent and a lovely twist to the usual breaky offers. The coffee was great, and the staff were friendly and informative. Oh I forgot to mention the view is fantastic, we sat looking out over the beach. I highly recommend this restuarant, would love to try their pizzas

Reviewed 23 May 2014

A basic menu with pretty basic food-too costly for what it was.Lasagne very nice,but at $24 with nothing else on the plate,it was at the top end for cost-Margherita Pizza $21 plus extra $2.50 for GF base.Thought this was overpriced-very minimal topping(sure,it's a Margherita but no quality in the ingredients)and 2 basil leaves just perched on the top!
Passion Caprioska Cocktail@$14-an overwhelming taste of Lime-more Passionfruit syrup was added which gave it balance,but for a few mouthfuls of liquid over a glass of ice,mmm,someone's making a lot of money!My fault for not sending it back though.
Plenty of other restaurants in this area-no reason to go back.