“So angry at our treatment”

Esplanade Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 357 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Re-opened Oct 2013 under new management. No Reservations We are an Italian inspired eatery overlooking the beach in St Clair, Dunedin. Wood-fired pizza and house-made pasta is our specialty. Lovely bar area to enjoy excellent espresso or a glass of Central Otago wine, available on tap. Open 7 days and nights
Reviewed 5 July 2014

As locals who have previously recommended this as a wonderful stylish Dunedin restaurant I have to say the customer service tonight left a lot to be desired. If you state you do not take bookings you can't then tell customers a table is booked but that we can not make bookings ourselves in the future! Bookings are either taken or not. Ps went to starfish instead ; awesome service, food and huge portions.

3  Thank Littlewelshmummy
There are newer reviews for Esplanade Restaurant

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed my first outing to this resaurant. Came with a group of friends on an exceptionally freezing cold winter evening and I was immediately struck by the cosy, warm atmosphere. Beautiful pinor noir and served at just the right temperature which doesn't often happen! Lovely fresh pizza accompanied by crispy fresh shoestring fries. Only thing I would like to point out is the prices are a bit on the high side for the type of food served...as lovely as it is.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and two young children went here on a sunny winters Saturday recently to get a couple drinks and a snack for the kids.
We were welcomed warmly as we entered the restaurant and were promptly asked how we could be helped.
We only purchased coffee, cake and fries but sometimes its the simplest things that say a lot about a place. The coffee was good the cake was divine and the lemon coated fries were quickly devoured by the kids.
My wife and I are planning to go back without the kids one night for a meal. If everything was as satisfying as our brief visit then a night in is bound to be a success. Right?
We will return either way after our next St. Clair adventure.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lunched quickly with an out of town visitor last weekend.

Pizza was simple, elegant and delicious. Beer cool and fresh. Service impressively quick given how busy they were.

And the location of course ! Can't be beaten. Good old Dunedin.

The surf looked good too

Reviewed 29 June 2014

As a Dunedin local, I was excited to see this beautiful cafe/restaurant take shape. Whilst it boosts a beautiful decor and stunning position overlooking the beach, that's where the praise ends. Have eaten there twice and won't go back. The food was average on both occasions and over priced. Such a shame as this is the general feeling by most people who have eaten there. I don't like giving negative feedback but I hope the owners read this and takes it as constructive criticism. We now go back to the great little cafe beside this place. Always great food at a great price. Surely it's obvious that you have stiff competition, you have to offer something special and The Esplanade needs to lift it's game as it would be such a shame to see it fail.

1  Thank ClaireS2000