“Absolutely delicious!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Huntsman Steakhouse - CLOSED

Huntsman Steakhouse
Price range: US$15 - US$27
Cuisines: Steakhouse, New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Absolutely delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Was staying in Dunedin for the night with two friends while I waited for my flight back to Australia the following day. Decided to check out the Huntsman after we strolled by the Octagon and took an interest. Bloody fantastic steak, cooked perfectly medium-rare, so tender and delicious. Oh and the sides! The chips were so unique and moreish, couldn't get enough. The dessert were delicately crafted and a joy to eat. All of this at very reasonable prices. Was thoroughly impressed with the meal and the service, a nice surprise to stumble upon on a cold winter's night :-) Will gladly return next time I find myself in Dunedin.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

brighton
“Always a great steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have regularly visited the huntsman for an evening meal. We have always found the steak to be cooked to our liking and to be very good indeed. There are aspects to the venue that some might find eccentric, including the sometimes over attentive (but always friendly) service and the free salad bar which feels a bit of a random add on. The huntsman is an institution and this eccentricity is a part of the appeal. Those looking for a modern restaurant with airs and graces should look elsewhere. Plus the food is always of a good standard and does not disappoint. Starters include fish dishes which are always well judged considering this is a steak restaurant. Desserts are often too sweet for my taste although the boysenberries soaked in booze are great. The only issue for me is that the coffee I ordered was poor really quite an achievement in New Zealand!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Hi well I have only been to this restaurant for my first time and the steak meal me & my wife had we could not fault it very well cooked we willbe back thanks again ray&aliti

• Visited July 2014
Wollongong, Australia
“This is a Warning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is the one - the one and only - meal i've had in my travels around NZ that I wish i could expunge from all memory.
The seafood chowder was canned mushroom soup with lumps of seafood extender added; the blue cod was deep fried fish-fingers and the fresh squid a rushed job from some nearby supermarket freezer, then overcooked. And steaks that couldn't be chewed, they were so tough.
As for the free salad bar - a few sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and a grated carrot should not be charged for anyway; in fact they should not even be offered.
We were seduced by the sign of fresh 'Bluff Oysters'. Once seated we were told they had run out. Did they ever have any?
The decor, and the bluster of the chef as we were seated and before we ordered, should have been enough warning, but in the end it was the food - every bit of it - that was the real disaster.
Sadly they advertise in their window that they are serving the 'Best Kiwi Food'.
They are a disgrace to all other Kiwi food I've eaten.
I paid my money without comment only so I could write this review.
Don't ever think of eating here.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PeterBDunedin, Owner at Huntsman Steakhouse, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
I take all reviews good and bad very seriously. Regrettably this review is so full of errors and erroneous information that I cannot be certain that the reviewer ever dined at our restaurant.

I have been back through every guest docket for the month of June and can find no record of any diner who had the combination of food that the reviewer claimed to have ordered.

Firstly we do not have a pavement sign or external signage that offers fresh Bluff oysters. We do stock Bluff oysters but their availability is subject to weather conditions.

Secondly our seafood chowder is made on the premises, does not come out of a can and it does not contain mushrooms or seafood extender.

Thirdly our menu does not and has never offered fresh squid in any shape or form.

Fourthly we do offer blue cod fillets as both an entree and a main course but the fish is never cut into fingers.

Fifthly the salad bar is unlimited and free and is never charged for - it contain a range of 13 choices - coleslaw, green salad, red cabbage salad, potato salad, pasta salad, curried egg, banana salad, peas and corn, carrot salad, pickled onions, beetroot, stuffed olives and sliced gherkins plus mayo and french dressing.

Lastly we are very particular about our steaks - both in what we buy and how we cook them - my staff always check with our guests to ensure that their steak is cooked to their complete satisfaction - if not we will recook or replace the steak.. Neither I or my staff have any recollection of a customer being dissatisfied or unhappy with their food. as described by the reviewer.

If the reviewer had indeed dined with us and been as unhappy as they claim it defies reason that they would not have commented to myself or my staff either during the meal or when settling the account.
Penang Island, Malaysia
“best ever lamb shank”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Never been able to experience such a delicious lamb shank before elsewhere... best ever! my friend who ordered rib eyes both thumbs up too!

• Visited May 2014