“Terrible service, average food.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Manchester
“Terrible service, average food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

A group of six of us ate at Metro over the weekend. When we arrived, the manager seemed quite short with us as I asked for a table for 6. I figured maybe he was just really busy so had no time for pleasantries. This turned out to be wrong as the restaurant was almost empty. He led us to a table on which a 'reserved' tag had been and removed the tag, which I thought was odd, seeing as we hadn't reserved a table.
We ordered a few cocktails, which arrived after around 10 minutes. One of them had been done wrong, but the waitress said she was just learning, so it wasn't an issue for us.
We ordered starters , including a rosemary and garlic flat-bread. We saw the chef in the kitchen take the base for this out of a packet. A little annoying but not such a massive deal seeing as it was quite cheap. It also turned out to taste really nice.
Myself and one other ordered a 'large' Margharita pizza to share. At $23, we expected the pizza to be big enough for us both.
The mains arrived after around 30-40 minutes (which was annoying seeing as the restaurant was basically empty). The waiter put down our pizza to share and both of us instantly said "I'm sorry but we ordered the large", to which he replied "This is the large"... I'd guess it was around 9". One of the other girls ordered a small pizza, which looked around 6". We didn't complain at this point as we had eaten starters, so weren't massively hungry. Had we not ordered a starter, a 'large' pizza wouldn't have filled one of us, let alone two.
We all began to eat and myself and the friend I was sharing with each had one slice and then stopped eating. It was terrible. The base was a pre-made packet base, the toppings were 'plastic' looking and it was all very chewy.
We spoke, politely, to the waiter, who went to get the manager. When he came over, he asked what the problem was and we told him and his response was "I don't see your problem, yes it is a pre-made base, what's your issue?". I told him that our issue was that they had served us a tiny, pre-made pizza and charged us $23 for it, when we could've bought the same from a supermarket freezer for $5. He refused to accept our complaint and was very rude to us. All he could say was "I fail to see what your issue is". Terrible management and we could tell that the other staff were embarassed. He even ignored us as we left the restaurant.
Hardly surprised to see the next couple of days that the restaurant seemed consistantly empty!
I would like to note though, that the other members of staff were more than polite and helpful.

If you want a really nice meal, there's a Japanese restaurant a few doors down that was brilliant, with FRIENDLY staff!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dobsd

Queenstown, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a good start to my holiday”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Having just come up to Dunedin for a couple of nights from Queenstown, where I'm struggling to find hospo work, the customer service I received in Metro was pretty abysmal and not a good first impression of the place. We were greeted by the waiter/barman/possibly owner with a simple monotone 'what do you want to order?' after having only a small time to scan the large menu. The antipesto to share was delicious, however we shared the large between four of us and we were all stuffed, yet we'd already ordered small pizzas as a main and I feel a simple heads up that the sharing platter was huge wouldn't have gone a miss but never mind. Our mains arrived promptly but one of my friends pizzas was wrong and by the time another had been made, the rest of us had already finished.

After an average dining experience we got the bill and we had been charged for a large pizza that was neither the one my friend ordered or the incorrect one which was delivered to the table, as well as a random hot chocolate thrown on at the end...to end this experience we weren't acknowledged whilst leaving the building which I found slightly rude, considering there was only about four other people in the building. Can't say I'll be returning.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank prendergast13
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great Food in Dunedin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

Great Food, service and ambiance huge size meals reasonably priced great value for money will return.

• Visited April 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Nice pizzas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Tucked away down Stuart street is a little gem. Tiny wee bar that does good pizzas. Good value that doesn't break the bank and is usually nice and quick to grab a bite to eat.

Visited March 2013
Germany
“Nice atmosphere pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Rustic pub with very friendly service. The food (chicken & bacon penne, metro burger) was delicious. The rough wooden tables, a fireplace and a several meters long bar give the pub a warm atmosphere. Compared with other near locations (restaurants/cafes/bistros) the prices were cheaper.
4 from 5 points because of the leaky door which let so much coldness in. So make sure you sit near to the fireplace at evening.

• Visited February 2013