“Great Sushi to take away - unlimited pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of savoury Japan

savoury Japan
Ranked #195 of 330 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: Japanese, Fast food, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Great Sushi to take away - unlimited pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I haven't eaten in the restaurant but have tried the takeaway sushi. Ymmmmm. You can pick it up from the cabinets or ask for it to be made fresh. They do it for you no problem. I like the tuna and avacado. One thing I love about sushi is the pickled ginger and wasabi with a coating of soy sauce. They have these little pottles you can fill to your heart content and takeaway. I fill one with ginger completely per pack I buy - if I buy a couple of sushi packs I might fill an extra. The packs are eight pieces and reasonably priced. Good for lunch or dinner. If I am having people over and want nibbly things I buy a few of these - usually vegetarian ones just in case - and put my little treasure trove from the pottles in little dishes. Very tasty, very reasonable and very popular. I notice lots of high school kids spend time in there getting food and you can get a bit trampled so timing it everything. The food being delivered to people eating in the restaurant looks and smells good - but I haven't tried it because I am a bit of a creature of habit. Soooo worth a look, and a taste. Lots of sushi flavours - something for everyone.

• Visited June 2013

Dunedin, New Zealand
“Sushi with great price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Having Japanese cuisine in Dunedin is quite costly to International Students. Savory Japan may not be the best Japanese restaurant in town but it does have reasonable price of sushi like 8 pieces for just $6.50. The second best thing is the crispy chicken roll, that's a MUST TRY!! omg! that's the best ever! I love it! Every time I visited here, I must have a chicken roll!! :)

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lemonnnn W
Invercargill, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Used to visit here often for sushi especially. Most recent visits have been disappointing. Sushi not as good as I remember and other meals not as good either.

Visited April 2013
Denver, Colorado
“always heading over there, but bad music.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

The salmon rice ball is probably the best (non-pie) lunch for under $5 in Dunedin. Unlike many of the other places, you can load up your plate with wasabi, pickled ginger, etc. and make a real go of it. The service is friendly, they have a high turnover so the food is fresh, and I end up heading over there at least once a week.

However, get ready for a blast of bad music. One day it's 80's, the next they were playing the same Chris Brown song over and over again. It's easy to take it in as part of the scene, though.

• Visited April 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Great sushi and stirfry spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Savoury Japan offers dine-in or take-away service for their extensive selection of sushi, noodle, and rice dishes. I visited on a Wednesday afternoon and my teriyaki chicken stirfry was ready very quickly after placing my order. The place was absolutely buzzing with school kids, so obviously they've won over the local crowd. The portions here were huge, especially considering the stirfry was less than $10! The amount of chicken alone left me very satisfied. Good taste and great value - check it out!