“Great Experience!”

Hare Hill Horse Treks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hare Hill is a lovely 60 acre farm located in Deborah Bay on the north side of the Otago Harbour, close to historic Port Chalmers and only 20 minutes drive from Dunedin New Zealand. Hare Hill offers horse riding suitable for the beginner right through to the more advanced rider throughout the year. We now offer a nine hole adventure golf course with a golf course buggy
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My sister and I have not been horse riding in years and were extremely excited about this trek...unfortunately we had a flat battery on our camper van the morning of our booking and had to await breakdown assistant. I rang Oliver and he was so so helpful!He offered to come pick us up or he'd keep the horses waiting for us while we waited to get our van started again (as long as it didn't take too long,don't like to keep the horses tied up too long!). Thank god we got moving quickly and he was so happy for us!When we got there, they were so welcoming!Loved the charming dog, Lucky and our horses were great!We had amazing weather and enjoyed our little picnic on top of the hill. I live in Queenstown so will definitely be bringing some friends down to Dunedin to visit!!

Visited March 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Brilliant experience, I was very impressed”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I love horse riding and try to ride as often as I can. I've not been lucky enough to have a horse to ride regularly for most of my life, so am well used to trekking centres... But this was a place with a difference.

Really accommodating friendly hosts, immaculately turned out horses that looked the picture of health, high quality comfortable tack. It was a delight to see such happy healthy clearly loved animals. I have certainly never experienced such wonderful horses at a trekking centre in my life.

Then, the Beach ride itself was spectacular. Cheryl helped me adjust to get used to riding a big horse European style when I'm used to riding a small pony western style! After we'd warmed the horses up we had some lovely canters, and I felt confident and relaxed the whole way. Even though I have ridden a lot, I do find it nerve wracking sometimes on new horses in new environments... But there was none of that here- it was clear they were well schooled.

A highlight was the lovely chats I had with Cheryl on the ride and after with a little picnic. Lovely interesting funny lady.

So, all in all, a very memorable morning. I wish I lived round the corner!

Brisbane, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a beautiful spot!”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

The ride itself is a little bit disappointing - you walk in single file as the trail is steep and windy but afterwards there's an arena where you can ride - trot, canter and jump. The hosts are lovely and very helpful, matching you well to your horse

Visited December 2012
1 Thank roaming_mum
Canberra
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not bad since you go on the beach”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We did the beach ride and the scenery was lovely and we saw seals on the beach.

Unfortunately i rated this as poor because the ride really only caters for people who don't ride much. The service was good and there was nothing overly bad about it. we just felt that for $300 we would have got a bit more of a 'ride' Since they only have a 2 horse float it means that Cheryl had to walk next to us. This meant a slow old trail ride pace when you are with someone on foot. There were no real opportunities to even go for a trot. This was made more frustrating by the fact that my horse would not leave the backside of the other horse regardless of what I instructed it. The horses seem to have a set 'pecking/pack order'

Perhaps if they had a bigger float it might be better?

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Buddenz
OliverGoldsmith45, Owner at Hare Hill Horse Treks, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Unfortunately we can't let absolute beginners injure themselves no matter how much they want to.
Customers who demonstrate that they can indeed ride are given complete freedom on thebeach
Everett
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beach ride was great fun”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My wife and I enjoyed an afternoon beach ride with Hare Hill Horse Treks. We had to adapt to riding English saddle from Western saddles we were used to. Yet, we truely enjoyed the sun the surf and the sand on a sunny Winter day riding horses along the beach at the head of Otago Bay.

Visited August 2012