“Enjoyable Stay”

Bella Vista Dunedin
Ranked #39 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The rooms are nothing special, very compact. However has all of the necessities and believe the accommodation in Dunedin to be very similar. Free Wi-Fi however the internet was apparently down and couldn't use it at all which was disappointing. What made the stay special were the hosts. Robyn was so friendly and had so many fantastic suggestions for what to do during our stay. Walking distance to town. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
bellavistadunedin, Owner at Bella Vista Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Thanks for choosing Bella Vista Motel Dunedin. We are glad that you enjoyed the friendly service and helpfulness that we are so proud of. Yes, the Compact Studios are quite small ( as the name suggestes) but we do have other options, which may suit you better, another time. The Wifi system has now been replaced with a brand new one. It is so difficult to get these things delt with quickly when it's the weekend. We once again sincerely apologize for your frustration. We do however have a guest kiosk available for your convenience.Look forward to seeing you again in the future. :-)

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed here recently overnight on business, it was a real pleasure, the hosts were friendly and helpful and the rooms comfortable, great for overnight business trip and i would definately stay there next time i am down that way

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Glad you enjoyed your stay Emma, and that everything met your needs. Look forward to seeing you again! Sincerely R and J :-)

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Been there just 2 weeks ago with wife and 2 five year olds. 1BR. apt. seemed just perfect. The hosts Robyn and John were as helpful and friendly as can be. A homely feel which certainly made the 4 night stay very comfortable. Location was also great with various dining options just a walk away. Certainly a highly recommended stay option..

Room Tip: We'd taken the room farthest from the road so no chance of road noise even when windows were ope...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Samar C
bellavistadunedin, Owner at Bella Vista Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us.We are glad that you found our one bedroom family room "just what you needed" for your stay in Dunedin, and that you enjoyed the warm friendly service .All the best to you and yours for the rest of 2013! :-)

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I spent January 2013 exploring New Zealand. One of my stops involved two nights at Bella Vista Dunedin. The room was a good size, clean, convenient, and comfortable. The location was good; on a main road near the northern end, and within walking distance of some facilities and attractions. Guests can enjoy free wifi, which was a nice benefit and helped me conserve my limited mobile data.

The hosts Robyn and John were exceptional. In my over 15 years of traveling, I honestly can't remember receiving a more genuine, high level of service, even when spending lots more money. It really felt like I was a guest at their home.

When I checked in, Robyn read back the comments I wrote when I booked the room, and addressed each point. This was the only time during my 14-stop trip that any hotel or motel specifically acknowledged my requests. I had requested a quiet room, and she said that all rooms were generally quiet, but suggested closing the bathroom door at night to reduce outside noise from the bathroom window. She gave me an area map and pointed out some local features that would interest me, including the nearby university campus (a lovely place to walk around) and the spectacular Otago peninsula.

They also offered assistance with bookings. I wanted to take the scenic Taieri Gorge Railway train, so I went to the office and John placed the call to make my booking. The way this usually works is you pay the hotel or motel, and they earn a commission. But John just told me to pay at the train station. I was surprised that they weren't earning anything from this, and they did this for me simply because I asked.

The free wifi works via a two-hour access code, and when that ran out, I would just return to the office, get one or two new codes, and chat a bit with the hosts there. It seemed inconvenient, but I always enjoyed the chance to chat with whoever was there.

This accommodation gets my highest rating! I would definitely stay here again. Robyn and John, thank you for providing me with a lovely and memorable visit to Dunedin.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BrettN886

Thanks so much for your generous comments. John and I are really pleased that you loved your stay with us here in Dunedin.We are very passionate about what Dunedin has to offer and enjoy helping our guests get the maximum value out of their stay.We always try to go that "extra mile" so we are glad that you appreciated our service! Maybe we'll see you another time in the future? Very Sincerely Robyn :-) for John and Robyn

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Reasonably priced, motorcycle friendly, close to city. Student flats next door, they get a little loud. Room very small. Staff excellent and very helpful. I use Bellavista alot, I think this one is fairly old.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QueenslandMan
bellavistadunedin, Owner at Bella Vista Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We are pleased that you found us reasonably priced. Prices are usually set in line with the local demand at the time. ie Specials in the quieter seasons. We do have larger units compared to our wee "Compact" Studios if you are looking for a little extra room.Being close to the city we all have some issues with noise from time to time however we supply ear plugs free of charge to any "light sleepers".Usually our "Hush Glass" works sufficiently well though. Great that you use the Bella Vista Group regularly. People love the consistancy of the chain Hope to see you again! :-)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at the Bella Vista for a night. Unfortunately it was a Saturday night, and being down the student end of town it was very noisy. We had the squarking and shreiking and shouting of drunken students as they all went to town in the late evening, and then again as they all trickled home in the early hours. At about 3am, two cars decided to have what I can only describe as "horn wars" over the back fence of the hotel which went on for about half an hour.
Noise aside, the place was very clean and tidy, the bedding was fresh and nice and the towels were good quality. There were tea and coffee making facilities and we were given fresh milk when we arrived. There was a kitchen which we didn't use but it was well equipped. There wasn't much of a view - just the carpark and drive thru of KFC. They had free parking and info on tourist attractions etc. It was a bit cold and damp when we arrived so it might have been nice if they had turned a heater on half an hour before we said we were coming but it heated up pretty quickly so no dramas. WiFi was a bit of a pain - it lasted for two hours only, then you have to go back to reception to get another piece of paper with a different code on it. But it wasn't too big of a deal and just nice to have free internet :)
Would recommend staying here on a weeknight unless you're a deep sleeper as it was quite loud on the weekend night we stayed here. The price was reasonable and when calling to book I asked if it was their best price and they took twenty bucks off the cost of the room - asking paid off!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aababa
bellavistadunedin, Owner at Bella Vista Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us.We are glad that you found our units clean, tidy and well equiped.There must have been a misunderstanding with the Wifi as we are happy to give you as much as you need.Sorry if that was not clearly established on check in. :-) We generally don't turn the heaters on before guests arrive as it it very difficult to judge arrival times and environmentally we try not to waste energy unnessessarily.However the rooms do heat up quickly though, as you describe.
Dunedin is a great city and the University gives it a vibrance like no other. I can only apologize if you struck a weekend when there was noise in the streets. This happens from time to time as in any large city. There is "Hush Glass" in our doors and windows, and we state in our compendium that complimentary ear plugs are available at the office for those who are light sleepers.Once again, apologies if this was not explained clearly on check in. Yes, we have Free car parking and are happy to provide tourist information, make bookings for you and share our "local" knowledge to help you make the most of your stay. Hope to see you another time. Thanks Sincerely Robyn :-)

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Bella Vista was a wonderful stop on our New Zealnd Journey. Robyn & John were both very kind and gave us all sorts of helpful advice and recomendations to make our stay even more memoriable!! We highly recomend this hotel to anyone in the area!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne S

Thanks for your geneous review. We are so glad that we were able to contribute to your stay in Dunedin being memorable, and that you found our motel "outstanding". I clearly remember our guests from Tennessee - you were "fun". It certainly makes all the effort worthwhile when we hear nice feedback. Sincere thanks! Robyn and John :-)