“Long walk to city centre/Octagon”

Bella Vista Dunedin
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Dunedin
Clearwater, Florida
“Long walk to city centre/Octagon”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I booked this room because of the price and good TA reviews. I arrived via Intercity Coach. I had initially told the manager I would take a taxi from the coach terminal, but the day before arrival I emailed and asked if someone from the motel could pick me up. (This was offered originally.) I didn't receive a reply to my email so I used the direct line taxi phone inside the bus terminal. (The bus terminal was moved to an inconvenient location outside the city center.) The fare to motel was about $10 NZ. No way would I have walked to motel (mostly uphill) pulling my small carry on. However, the motel was within walking distance of the wonderful botanical gardens, shopping and fast food restaurants.
The room was nice, with all the kitchen supplies I needed to fix my meals. The bed was comfy. A washcloth just for makeup removal was a nice touch. Free wifi always a plus. It was a little chilly in the room because A. the bathroom window didn't shut properly (there was a gap which let the cold air in and B. when returning late one evening, housekeeping had opened the room window, leaving the room quite cold. I'm sure they do this to clear the room of cooking odors, but I think they should wait until guest checks out. Fortunately, the heating unit worked well. The room door was a sliding glass door which meant you had to close the drapes for privacy and unless you reached in from outside upon leaving to close the drapes, your belongings in the room were visible to passersby. A slight inconvenience. Staff was professional but not overly friendly. See my photos for more room details. If you found my review helpful, please click on "yes." Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Bella Vista in Dunedin and were very comfortable. The motel was as described and absolutley fine. Our only concern was the location... a bit out of the way with no restaurants in the vicinity... Clean and comfortable with guest laundry...
Okay stop on a road trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
New Zealand
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Sadly we stayed here just as the university students were coming back to town, and our time here was ruined by the parties and general noise coming from nearby houses. However we would stay here again, the room was nice if not on the small size, but the bed was comfy and the bedroom clean, there is also plenty of onsite parking. This motel is not centrally located so you cannot walk to the town, but there are shops and places to eat nearby if required. The owners are very nice people who had a lovely way about them.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
bellavistadunedin, Owner at Bella Vista Dunedin, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Thanks for taking time out to review your stay with us. We are glad that you found the room lovely and clean and the bed comfortable. Dunedin city is a University city so from time to time there is noisy, so apologies for any discomfort you may have experienced. We do provide complimentary ear plugs as a gesture for light sleepers. When I walk into the shops it takes me 10 minutes at a steady pace, ( an easy walk)so I'm sorry if that hadn't been explained to you on check in. Hope to see you sometime in the future. Robyn :-)
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Wonderful people and always have a smile. Bela vista is always my first preference of stay in Dunedin. Thanks for the warm welcome always when arriving. Rooms are great and feels like home when staying. Have all u need and best of all the 50+ sky channels.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank 690vaughnl
Thanks for your lovely review! We are pleased that you feel "at home" here at Bella Vista Dunedin. Warm Regards Robyn and John
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had a couple of busy days in Dunedin with my 3 yr old daughter - the room was well equipped, warm, shower was lovely and bed was huge and comfortable. I'm very fussy on cleanliness and couldn't fault this room. Great car parking, reasonable room rate and close to uni and daughters hostel nearby uni - we'll be rebooking next year. Thanks.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for your kind review Charlotte!
We are thrilled that your stay was a nice one. Yes, the shower pressure is great! Mains fed! We get a lot of feedback about our comfortable beds, so glad that you liked them too. I will pass your comments on to our staff, because they are very fussy about their standards of cleanliness also and it's nice to have that acknowledged. :-) Glad you found our rates reasonable and the car parking very good. Happy holidays, and we look forward to seeing you again in the new year!
Sincerely Robyn and John
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed there in Sep 2013, the room was small and we can hardly move after putting our bags. The motel was located near fast food and pizza restaurant and a short drive away from the Dunedin University and train station.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate your feedback and wish to let you know for future visits that we do have other larger options if our "Compact" studio doesn't suit? We are just one block away from the university of Otago, so you probably didn't need to drive.:-)
Hope to see you again sometime in the future
Kind Regards Robyn :-)
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We are completing our third week in New Zealand so maybe I'm becoming too picky but this was a small room. In fact it is smallest of all the rooms we have stayed in. To be fair it was a "compact studio" which should have have set off bells. We stayed here two nights and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. When we checked in we were given a bottle of milk for our tea or coffee and shown to our room. Now after three weeks my wife has become adept at making plunger coffee. Their was a packet of plunger coffee supplied for the first morning which she used to make coffee. When we returned to our room later that day, besides the trash not being emptied, they had not replenished the plunger coffee packet. When I asked at the desk the lady told me that they only supply one packet and there would be a charge for any additional packets. This did not make sense to me because we were staying two nights. Other places we have stayed have always replenished the coffee packets each day. The other troublesome issue was the internet. We were given a slip of paper when we checked in with an access code and told we would receive 200 megabytes of data which was sufficient. When I logged in the first time there were only 63 megabytes remaining. When I brought this to the attention of the receptionist, she could not explain it and gave me another access code. When I logged in with this one the first time there were only 43 megabytes remaining. We just used what was available. The people we dealt with were friendly and I have no complaints there.

Room Tip: Don't book a compact studio. There are other choices.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. It sounds like your expectations were not met, as they should have been, and for this we are extremely sorry. From time to time we take a much needed break, and I believe that you have stayed while we were away. Unfortunately there has been some confusion from our motel minder. She has now been instructed to provide the extra plunger coffee when necessary. We certainly do not wish to appear stingy with that, and do our best to ensure that your stay is an enjoyable one. There was a temporary issue with the wifi not printing off the correct number of Megabites. This has now been resolved. We do offer unlimited wifi to our guests.
Yes, the Compact studio is as described, "Compact". Many of our guests find them the ideal when they are spending most of their day "out and about".We do however have other options.
Warm Regards Robyn and John