“Could do better!!!”

Southland Museum and Art Gallery
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The museum itself is quite good with some very interesting displays. However I must agree with "Prisonerfan" about the Roman exhibition as being poor value. Quite apart from the lack of information boards, those that are there contain many mistakes. Every board that speaks of legionnaires is in fact talking about members of the French Foreign Legion. Roman soldiers were legionaries. Another board is headed Mosasics whereas it should be Mosaics. Basic proof reading errors which have no place in a so called educational exhibition. This was compounded by the talk given last Monday by a so called expert from Otago University about Roman Lighting. A more halting, poorly researched, disastrously presented, mumbled display of poor public speaking I have not seen before. He actually had the audacity to say that Britain was poorly lit during the Roman Occupation and that once the Romans had left at the end of the 4th century, the lights went out!! He was confused by questions from the floor for which he was obviously completely unprepared. A disgrace in my opinion and an embarrassment to any professional organisation. Not worth the gold coin donation if they had not served cake and coffee afterwards.

All reviews
"new zealand"
in 15 reviews
"nice cafe"

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Southland Museum is centrally located on the edge of Queens Park and is host to the information centre, I-site. There is always something different to see, with various exhibitions and permanent displays. You can take a break for a light lunch or cup of coffee at the café to fortify yourself before heading off to explore the next gallery.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Our visit was in Feb 2012. This was an unexpected highlite. We were surprised to see such an extensive array of exhibits. To enjoy the entire museum and surrounding grounds can take a good part of the day, or all day. The staff was great. This is a top notch facility in my book and definitely one I would recommend.

Larry B

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Went to the i-site, where we found the museum in the same building, as i toured with my wife and had the finer points of needlework pointed out to me, I did however enjoy the displays of native maori artefacts and local southland history. It would be quite easy to spend a few hours in here avoiding the sleet, rain and wind of Invercargill.