“Good value hotel”

Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Invercargill
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good value hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Very tidy old fashioned hotel with great service and lovely basic meals. The rooms are quiet and comfortable and the hotel has free parking. We stay here often and have no complaints. In the winter it is always very warm the moment you enter the foyer. The hotel has a great house bar and also a sports bar with a comfortable resturant. Recommend

• Stayed September 2012
Bryan T, General Manager at Kelvin Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you for your comments about the Kelvin Hotel, we pride ourselves as being a good quality 3 plus star Hotel. We look forward to your return and thank you for your continued support.
Bryan Townley
General Maanger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I needed a good night's sleep before a busy day. I got it - in a comfortable bed in a homely room which had everything I needed, friendly and obliging staff, room service and good food. I was worried that my night in Invercargill would be cold, but the heating is very very effective. An added bonus was that you also had the option of opening the windows for some fresh air (you don't get that in more modern buildings). Located within walking distance of the whole town. I did not have a car to worry about. I would certainly stay here again on a business trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Palmerston North
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed here for the first time while on business. I was particularly impressed by the very friendly staff who exhibited good Southern hospitality. I arrived early afternoon and after the restaurant had closed at 2pm. I had not been able to have lunch due to a couple of late flights but the staff were only too happy to find me a quick lunch and good coffee before my first appointment. My colleague and I dined in the restaurant that evening, and for breakfast and lunch the following day. They do an express $10 lunch which was filling and delicious. The room was rather dated but a good size with a double and single bed. The toilet was separate to the bathroom which would be handy if there were two people staying. The double bed was far too soft for my liking so I ended up sleeping in the single. I am a light sleeper but the room was nice and quiet , with the exception of those rude guests who let their doors slam in the early hours! My only real issue was that there was mould in the bathroom. I raised this with the assistant manager who advised that they were in the process of getting all the tiles regrouted. I still think the mould could have been cleaned off in the meantime but it would not stop me from returning to the Kelvin if I go back to Invercargill.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Wow!!! What as fantastic setting. It looks like it had just been done up but a beautiful place to start and finish the evening. I am from Invercargill and have never thought the Kelvin would be a place to have a couple of quiets, but it is such a classy place and we throughly enjoyed it. The bar manager is a very nice guy and due to the fact that we had to wait to be served which really was an average time to be served in most bars he shouted us a free drink. Highly recommended and will go there again for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed here for one night in the middle of winter, the room was very warm and reasonably priced. The food was average - not bad and not good. I would recommend people stay there, it is for the price, excellent and I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I recently stayed a night in the Kelvin Hotel and the room was small but comfortable. Despite being on a main road, traffic noise was low and I had no trouble sleeping or just relaxing in the room and watching some pay TV. The bathroom was very small with the combined shower/bath being strangely installed so that the base of the bath was higher than the floor. This made it a little awkward to step out of the shower.

The staff were very helpful and knew the area well. While only a couple of small requests were made, they were handled cheerfully and very professionally with the advice given helping to resolve the requests. Well done to the team on Saturday.

Breakfast was the typical breakfast buffet (scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, cereal etc) and was well prepared. While my wife and I were rather late to breakfast, there was no hint of the food being old or almost forgotten.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Suffolk
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Spent three nights at the Kelvin, travelling for business. The hotel is well located in the city but the car park is around the corner so not that convenient if you have a lot of luggage and can't drop it off right outside. The rooms seem to have been put together in the late 70s and have not been rennovated since. However, they are warm and spacious. Normally, I would give this hotel a rating of 3 but the staff there bump it up. Really friendly, welcoming and kind staff who seemed genuinely pleased to be working there. Free gym pass available for the YMCA across the road which is great

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business