“Slow service & have they heard of seasoning”

The Saucy Chef on St Andrew
Ranked #2 of 104 Restaurants in Invercargill
Price range: US$15 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I went for Sunday lunch. We both had blue cod arancini which we both found to be rather tasteless, could not distinguish the flavour of the blue cod let alone any other seasoning. The pesto with it was rather bitter. The saving grace was the salad that went with it. There appeared to be only one other table filled and yet the service took approx. half an hour between ordering and getting our meals. Décor ok but not as impressive as it appears from the outside.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stumble upon this place on a saturday when we were in invercargill for 2 nights. We had lunch here and the place was so quiet, probably due to the public holiday long weekend. We ordered 3 main course, a seafood chowder , a latte and a dessert. My steak was overcooked and it was hard. Except for this, the rest were all right. The total cost was about $78. Reasonable price but the service was really slow. The staffs were busy among themselves and were not attentive. Nevertheless, we had a nice meal.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Loved the food, the service and the atmosphere. they had dishes which we don't find in OZ. Hare and Monkfish.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The service was pretty good there was one slip up but I wasn't too bothered, I liked the modern decor and the ambiance. The food lets it down, the menu is too large, there are too many dishes, it's like they're trying to please too many people. There must be a fortune lost in the kitchen on food waste. The portions are huge way too big, I ended up eating only half and took the rest home. I had the weirdest dish it was the special and it sounded so crazy I had to see it. Pan fried sole and salmon fillets with Parmesan mash, green beans and a wasabi hollandaise with steamed mussels. This was the slip up as the waitress had forgot to mention the mussels as an addition and I wasn't made aware of it till the dish reached the table. The salmon was over cooked, the beans were over cooked, the hollandaise had no wasabi flavour at all, and the mussels were superfluous. My husband had the steak it was huge and cooked well but the potatoes it came with were not very nice. But it was all perfectly edible and just average.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We had 40 people for a birthday lunch the staff were wonderful and the kitchen did a fantastic job at sending out all our meals together with great presentation and very tasty thank you

1  Thank angimlach