“Nice meal, excellent service”

The Saucy Chef on St Andrew
Ranked #2 of 101 Restaurants in Invercargill
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“Nice meal, excellent service”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We popped in for lunch before returning home from a business trip.
All of the staff were polite, well trained, attentive without being overbearing, and professional. They are a real credit to the restaurant.
I had seafood chowder and my colleague had duck salad. Both were very nice, although the serving of chowder was large and I could not finish it.
Both of us had the chocolate chili pie, it was exactly as stated - a definite kick at the end.
Overall a good meal, but it was made by the service.

1 Thank Karen T

Invercargill, New Zealand
“Amazing”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My mother was visiting from the UK and we wanted to take her somewhere to show her real New Zealand cuisine so we went to the Saucy Chef after being highly recommended by friends of ours. We were greated by a very friendly smiling girl who we presunmed to be the manager at the time and taken to a table by a window which was lovely. The decor of the restaurant is very nice and modern and the restrautant was lovely and warm. We had the hare and the sizzler steak, both of which were cooked to perfection and delicious. My mother had the blue cod and loved every mouthful. We shared two desserts between the three of us, the creme brluee and the chocolate chilli pie which was well good. The service was top notch and the atmosphere relaxed and comfortable. We will be back.

2 Thank adidas100
Invercargill
“Definitely won't be returning for the food.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My sister was visiting from Singapore and we wanted to go out for a nice meal. We looked up TripAdvisor for reviews of restaurants in Invercargill and Saucy Chef looked promising. We arrived just after 4pm for a late lunch/early dinner and were the only patrons there. The wait staff was attentive with a welcoming smile. However, the food was totally disappointing. We were told they had ran out of green-lipped mussels after we placed our order, so we replaced it with another entree, the Pork Belly, which turned out too dry and tough. The Surf n Turf ribeye steak, which my sister requested medium-rare, came out virtually well-done the first time and was medium-well the second time round. The scallops served with it were the only highlight of our entire meal. The wait staff apologized and said they have a new chef who is still getting familiar with the grill. To be honest, we thought the beef just wasn't very fresh. The salt and pepper squid entree and the other main we had, the Confit of Duck, were both only so-so. The side serve of kumara mash was overcooked and tasted bitter. We also ordered a pan-seared Blue Cod for my wee one, and it was served with a side salad that tasted/smelt like it had gone bad, and I spat it out. When we went to pay at the counter, the same wait staff was on the phone and we overheard her saying that she will let the chef know when he arrives, which left us wondering who had prepared our meals then? Granted, food presentation was nicely done, but for a bill of $130 with just one glass of Riesling, we expected the food to at least taste as good as it looks, but sadly, it falls terribly short. I would recommend Saucy Chef for a couple of drinks on a night out, given the excellent setting and ambience, but not for the standard of food served.

Kincumber, Australia
“lovely food and excellent service”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a recommendation, we walked to this restaurant. Lovely decor is just the start. We had steak and beef cheeks both were delicious. Great service. Would recommend to friends and I would eat here again.

• Visited May 2014
Invercargill, New Zealand
“Beef Cheeks”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Some girlfriends and I dined at the Saucy Chef last week. The ambience of the restaurant was great for a cold evening, the restaurant was toasty warm and the menu offered something for everyone. I had the beef cheeks and they certainly lived up to expectation, melt in the mouth!

• Visited May 2014