“Qualmark look again.”

Ranked #6 of 16 Invercargill B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Qualmark look again.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel advertised a 4 plus star rating on door. This certainly didn't reflect the experience we had at this hotel and advertising it as serviced was a joke, there was none. We arrived just after 5 on Friday evening which was a public holiday. The reception was closed and we were left outside the door in appalling weather talking to a speaker phone which kept cutting out. We were instructed to push the door to gain entry which took us three goes. We had parked our car outside as there was no obvious parking area and when I enquired about guest parking I was asked if I had reserved any and there was an inference I might have to pay which I refused to do. The parking area was an exposed lot on the side of the building, no cover or security. On gaining entry to the foyer we picked up our 'welcome letter' from the counter without 'taking anyone else's' as instructed by the voice from the speaker and proceeded to our room. This was dark and dingy, not surprising considering the age of the building. The furnishings were tired and tatty and the fit out cheap. The TV had limited channels and was about a 26inch, very small for the size of the room and floor squeaked when walking over the whole surface area. Our welcome letter informed us that the reception was only open 9am to 5pm weekends and holidays and the 'serviced apartments' were not serviced weekend and holidays either. If this had been advised at the time of booking I would not have gone there but as we had already paid our $152 for the night we stayed on. In hindsight I wish I had cut my losses and moved to one of the many motels closeby with better facilities and value for money. Finally when waiting to check out the following morning at 9am the receptionist was extremely unprofessional when the phone began ringing constantly with other guests requesting services they had been denied from 5pm the previous evening. Never again and doubt I would stay at any other property under Quest management either if I can help it.

Room Tip: Definitely not street facing as the main street is very noisy and there is no double glazing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
kent
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Thank goodness we only had to spend one night here. On the surface rooms we're clean enough but on closer inspection the carpet was harbouring goodness knows what and the duvet cover was certainly not clean. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Invercargill hotels

Darwin Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Not luxury by any std but more than suitable for a night passing through, right in the heart of town, walking distance to plenty meal options, off street parking, would be more than comfortable for a few nights. Friendly staff clean room comfy bed, no view but it's one off those convenient inner city sleeps.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Spotlessly clean, good location but this is just a very old building that has been renovated on the cheap. The fixtures and decor are mismatched and would look more at home in a backpackers (sorry backpackers)
As a managed apartment, you get the bed made but no cleaning while you are there and at $150 per night, it is just not good value.
There are a number of better motels in Invercargill. Try and book them before the Quest.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Pukekohe, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Always feels a bit strange when you walk into a place and a person emerges from the room behind reception with no other bodies in sight..... I have to say that our short stay in Invercargill ran along pretty similar lines. hotel was okay but basic and that was all we needed. Thank god for the free ride to the wonderful Cabbage Tree - see previous review.

• Stayed September 2013
Brussels
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Quest Invercargill was an unexpected surprise given its excellent quality at an amazing price. We booked at the last minute while on a road-trip and picked up an amazing rate for one night, staying in a club room 107 in this restored post office.

I've known the Quest brand from Australia, and this site certainly lives up to expectations: friendly staff and a high quality room, all in an amazing location. Sure Invercargill isn't that big, but we found nothing of this quality even close to the town centre. Parking was included, and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

I strongly recommend you take a look if you're in the area and looking for a place for a night or two.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Inverell
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We visited Invercargill and based on reviews decided to stay at the Quest. At the start of the shopping strip and with lots of bars in walking distance it is in a good location. Such a pity the rooms do not live up to all the hype. We chose a one bed apt and noticed straight away how old the furniture was in the room. BUT, the worst part was the bathroom. When signing in at the front desk it was very obvious to the reception desk I was disabled. I have spinal injuries and find it hard to walk more than 100m. When were given our keys no mention was made to me that the bathroom would not be suitable nor was I asked about preference. When we arrived in the room all I wanted was a shower but noticed on entering the shower was over the bath and there was not one handle in sight, Thankfully my hubby who is my carer was able to assist but even then with the shower curtain not being long enough there was water all over the floor and he slipped and so did I. This was not a good start to our stay, but due to being tired after travelling for three hours we picked ourselves up and decided it would be best to catch up on some sleep. This was slightly difficult due to noise out in the street, we requested a room at the back but none were available which again was disappointing. I noticed that one reviewer said to request a studio room due to the fact they are more modern, I should have taken that advice. I am really keen to find out what the building was used for previous to being a hotel, if anyone knows I would love to hear about it.

Room Tip: Studio room is much better furnished than the one bed apartments.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family