“A great meal”

Ranked #3 of 104 Restaurants in Invercargill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We dined with friends. The restaurant, whilst hidden in an arcade is lovely and has good ambience. I ordered the venison, my friends ordered the lamb and my husband ordered the pork. My friend commented on his lamb being 'melt in the mouth.' My husband said his pork meal was lovely and my venison meal was amazing! If there were any improvements it might be that the kumera did get quite sweet with the honey glaze after the first few pieces. We also had dessert and my friends had the crumble which they said was incredible and I had the black cherry bread and butter pudding.....and this ain't no ordinary bread and butter pudding!! It was DIVINE! A chocolate and black cherry party in your mouth!!!

We will definitely return. The meal was reasonably pricy so expect fine dining prices, but, we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have been to the rocks a few times now and have enjoyed every meal there. Loving the menu, we had a awesome 3 course meal, chowder, squid to start, pork belly and venison to follow, and a poached pear dessert to share. Ooh and we had a cocktail on arrival was yum! Nice friendly staff, meals arrived in perfect waiting time of each course, food was tasty, we'll seasoned and flavoursome and FRESH! Prices aren't too steep, all in all was great, thank you we will be back

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

It has been over 20 years since we last visited Invercargill so had no idea on were to go for a nice meal. After driving up and down the main street nothing jumped out so we resorted to Trip Advisor for advice.
The No 1 listing was lunch only and the No 2 listing was a little out of town ( could be wrong ) so we settled on the No 3 listing, The Rocks Cafe.
First impressions were not great as we had to go down a short arcade to find the place but once inside what a wonder welcome awaited us.
The menu offered an amazing number of very interesting dishes any of which I am sure that we would have enjoyed.
After much thought, my wife had the venison which she said was delicious and I chose the Sicilian Fish Bowl containing king prawn tails, fresh mussels, a fillet of blue cod and chorizo sausage served in a fresh herb tomato broth with a hint of spice. I thought that it was beautifully presented and tasted even better.
Service was equally good with two delightful serving staff even offering me a taste of a certain wine before having to purchase a glass.
Will I go back if I return to Invercargill? The answer is; without a doubt.

1  Thank Paremata2
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Cosy and intimate, the staff are super friendly and helpful. The meals consistently great. Can cater for large groups, indoor and outdoor seating. May pay to book in the summer as the locals fill the place up pretty quickly :-)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The food was delicious. I had the venison and the flavours were excellent, with every mouthful being one to savour. The service was good, only lacking some small details, that could be refined, but good overall. The atmosphere was relaxed and lively, perfect for a Friday night. Delicious oysters and local beer.