Open today: 09:00 - 17:00

Book in advance
from
£326.31
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Mitre Peak Cruises
from £326.31
More Info
from £71.52
More Info
1,497 results
All reviews smaller boat larger vessels tea and coffee great trip amazing cruise plenty of space personal experience pod of dolphins te anau fur seals take photos milford sound cruise hour cruise stirling falls friendly crew saw dolphins small group
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 March 2019

The cruise of the Milford Sound was the best part of Milford Sound, wich was among the top places we visited in New Zealand. Mitre Cruise organized it spotlessly. It's a long cruise that goes further that other and is highly informative. It visits amazing spots and goes right under a waterfall. Stunning.

Date of experience: March 2019
TotallyTourism, General Manager at Mitre Peak Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2019

Sounds like you had a great time cruising with us – thanks for choosing Mitre Peak Cruises!

Reviewed 21 March 2019

Since I was last here, almost 20 years ago, Milford Sound has (like every other famous tourist location on the planet) become significantly more crowded. However, the cruise companies (or the authorities) have done a great job in managing cruise departures and route timings such that once you are out on the Sound you don't feel it is overcrowded, and you are rarely near another boat. Kudos to all involved in making that happen.

I have a few thoughts on making your visit to Milford Sound more enjoyable:-
1. If you have the time, avoid doing a day trip from Queenstown. It is a long drive there and back in a coach/bus, and I would imagine by the time you get back to Queenstown you would be pretty whacked out and your memories of the cruise on the Sound would be diminished by the long, long drive
2. It would always, in my view, be best to drive yourself. Stay a night (or more) in Te Anau, and book an early cruise (ours with Mitre Peak Cruises was at 08:55). Leaving Te Anau at 06:30 there is little traffic on the road, and if you are lucky with the weather the scenery will be at its best. And you can stop either on the way or the way back at a number of lovely spots without busloads of other tourists spoiling the fun.
3. Equally, if you take an early cruise, your drive back to Te Anau (or on to Queenstown or wherever else) will also be reasonable in terms of traffic and crowds at the beauty spots. When you finish your cruise at 11:00 or so, you can grab an early lunch at the only cafe in Milford Sound (which is actually pretty good), or take away for a picnic stop on your way back south.
4. At risk of repeating myself, do try and avoid a cruise that starts between 12:00 and 14:00 as that is when the largest number of day-trippers will be around -- both on the road, the cruise boats, and on the Sound itself

Our 2-hour cruise with Mitre Peak was pretty good. The small boat has its advantages in many ways, although I do have to say that I thought there were too many passengers given the limited outdoor space available. But such is the way of mass tourism in the 2010s! Staff were good, boat was comfortable, commentary was good when I listened or could hear, and the cruise covers a lot of ground, reaching the open sea -- where, if you are lucky, you will pick up some dolphins at the bow of the boat.

Date of experience: February 2019
2  Thank Howard B

Those are some great pieces of advice… thanks for sharing.
It sounds like you really made the most of your time with us here in Milford, did your research, and as a result - got to see some of the best highlights of our cruise. Safe travels and all the best!

Reviewed 20 March 2019

Our family of four had a great time on a Mitre Peak Cruise on Milford Sound earlier this month. The cruise was very well run, with the skipper (the brother of the owner, I think) doing a great job - informative commentary and nice to be able to sit up and chat with him on the bridge (a particular highlight for our two year old!). They use smaller boats than the other operators (less crowded, more personal experience), and I think the cruises last a little longer than others. We have been to Milford Sound previously on a bigger boat, and this cruise was much better. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Bendy_Man

Thanks for the great review! The skipper you chatted and cruised with was Graeme. He is a well respected member of the team who loves showing people this little slice of paradise. We’ll be sure to pass your nice comments onto him! Thanks again.

Reviewed 19 March 2019

This was my third visit to Milford Sound, and its beauty and majesty never ceases to astound me. The up-close cruise itself was perfect--a real Goldilocks experience: not too big, not too small. Thoroughly recommended!

Date of experience: February 2019
3  Thank gregwgtnz

Many thanks for the great review. Sounds like you really made the most of your trip, and enjoyed cruising with the Mitre Peak Cruises Team. Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 March 2019 via mobile

Mitre Peak Cruises only cares about your money, instead of giving you an amazing experience. We booked the Cruise early in the morning and on our way to Milford Sound the tunnel to Milford, which is the only way to reach the harbour, was temporarily (more than 40 minutes) closed due to a construction vehicel inside. Because of this blocked tunnel, which was a thing we could'nt do anything about, we arrived 10 minutes after the departure of our ferry. The customer support had no understanding for our situation. They wanted us to pay 45 dollars more, so that we could go on the next departing cruise. When we asked for a refund of our ticket, they rudly said to us that this isn't possible. That is the opposite of a customer service that cares about the experience of their customers. They are only interested in your money, so I would recommend you to just take another company.

Date of experience: March 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry your experience with us wasn’t pleasant. We do have a policy that if you book on Bookme and you miss the cruise you do need to pay the price difference however this situation was out of your control I agree and I apologise my team wasn’t very understanding. Are you able to contact me directly with your booking details so I can sort this out with you please Office@mitrepeak.com again I apologise your experience with us wasn’t up to the standard of customer service that we take pride in.
I look forward to hearing from you and resolving this situation.
Kind Regards, The Team at Mitre Peak Cruises.