“Not for the 'oldies'”
Review of Reavers Lodge

Reavers Lodge
Ranked #58 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Read the reviews before we booked and though we'd give it a go. Like a previous review commented, drunk and loud young guests who obviously dont give a toss if anyone is trying to sleep. We were in room 31 just above the spa pool. Heavily used with lots of drinking. Very pleased to say though bang on 10 pm it was closed but unfortunately those using it continued to party on outside their rooms. Our room was clean and bed very comfortable. Front Office staff very helpful and friendly. This Lodge is definately only for under 30's. Value for money.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay ask for a room well away from the spa pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Staff were really friendly & knowledgable. Rooms were clean & tidy with the basic amenities we needed. Fairly quiet until Saturday night when our drunk neighbours came home & carried on into the wee hours, however they were gone the next morning. Sunday night our other neighbours had a domestic early on but quieted down fairly quickly. All in all a good place to stay, walk up the hill from town was a killer after being on the slopes all day, wouldn't have made it through the week without a car!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MochasGold
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked a 7 night Powder Package through Ozsnow Adventures (done through our wonderful travel agent at STA Travel).

Travelled with 2 friends and stayed in the triple loft room, room 77 or 72. All of us are 18.

I looked at this website and read all the reviews beforehand so the flaws that came with Reavers Lodge were no surprise to me. (Which I recommend to anyone before they book a place to stay anywhere!!!!! As reviews are incredibly insightful on this website.)

I believe when people review this lodge that they review their trip instead of their accommodation. If I were to rate my trip it would be a 5/5. Queenstown is absolutely incredible, so beautiful, so safe and so accommodating to all ages for a holiday. However, for the accommodation I give it a 3/5. Purely because I feel like I can't complain because I had such a great time.

Pro's:
- we were luckily placed in a room with an extravagant view. Reavers is situated quite high on a hill so you can see the whole town.
- I slept in one of the beds upstairs and the bed was surprisingly very comfy and sheets were clean and warm.
- The ladder to get upstairs was a cool addition to the room.
- Had enough power points in the room so we could all charge our phones/iPad/camera at the same time
- Tv worked perfectly fine & we enjoyed watching some reality tv after a long day at the town/snow.
- Had a working microwave, fridge & boiling jug/tea kettle. (Whatever you'd like to call it haha)
- Had enough floor space to keep our luggage and had a big wardrobe to hang up clothes and store luggage
- Reception were fairly nice. A special mention the guy that helped us out with our ski gear, he was incredibly helpful and nice. We had airport transfers organised & they were on time with that :)
- had a working heater & we never felt cold in our room.
-Their goat was adorable & a cute quirk to the place.
- Supply a free breakfast. We never ate it though! Haha. We always went down to a cafe down the road. When we checked it out though, it was just simply cereal & toast.

Con's:
- window to open outside next to the door was not closed properly when we got there and we couldn't close it the 7 nights we were there. It wasn't really a problem though with the cold weather coming through because the heater was situated just underneath it.
- my friend had to sleep on the pull out sofa downstairs. Didn't supply a pillow for this so I gave my friend one of mine. It was a HARD bed with lumps all over it, my poor friend did not get one good sleep. One of the guys that was in the room next to us came into our room one day to offer us some alcohol as he was leaving; complained about the sofa himself.
- the "double bed" upstairs was two single beds pushed together & would frequently move when I rolled over in the night and my leg would be down the middle haha.
- The upstairs had a very low roof.. I mean so low that my 5ft 3 self had to bend right down so I wouldn't smack in head on the roof.
- Despite feeling toasty warm in the room. Sleeping upstairs was way too hot and I would frequently walk down the ladder in the middle of the night because it was cooler.
- The rooms are not soundproof from the next at all. For some reason the people in the room next to us were SCREAMING the first night & making loud bangs from jumping from the 2nd story to the first till at least 1am in the morning. We had a lot of sleepless nights because of the loud drunk people next to us at least 3 of the nights. I will give credit though to the people that moved their party and apologised to us when we complained. Our sleepless nights were also because of how uncomfortable we felt in the hot room and my friends uncomfortable sofa.
- To be honest, I saw the complaints about the "hill" you'd have to walk up and down to get to the lodge & thought that people were complaining too much.... After a long day getting home with your ski poles & boots/when you're drunk/or it's 10pm at night this hill was something you'd dread while you were staying at this lodge. We had a number of people walking down the hill while we were walking up apologise to us and say "it's a pain isn't it." & "long day?" Haha. Though I will say that I did enjoy the 10-15 minute walk to and from town, the hill would just ruin that coming back.

-Our bathroom was the worst feature about our accommodation.
*The sliding door would not shut properly & I would frequently have to check to see if the shower curtain was shut properly so no one could see me in the shower from the gap.
* There was no room at all in the bathroom to just stand. There was a small space between the sink and the door. I'm a fairly short and skinny person and still found that gap ridiculously small. I wouldn't be surprised if a larger person would have extensive troubles moving around the bathroom.
- The toilet wouldn't flush properly SOMETIMES. We all had to basically plan out when we'd go to the toilet because it seemed like it took a while for it to be able to flush again.
- The dispenser that's in the shower is filled with hand wash not body lotion.

We felt a lot more comfortable in the bathroom once we went down to the pharmacy & purchased supplies, like body lotion, shampoos and conditioner, razors & toilet paper.

When I've put it in writing it seems like there was a lot to complain about, but really, Reavers Lodge isn't a bad place to stay, we were really only there for a place to rest at night & the place accomplished that (to some extent haha). Though I would put out a warning to all young families, people with a high maintenance & older, less fit people that Reavers Lodge wouldn't be an ideal place for you stay. Find a place closer to town.

Enjoyed writing my first review! I love Queenstown!

Room Tip: The rooms that were single stories that had bunk beds or just two single beds would be more comforta...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gks2195
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I liked how happy and friendly the staff were. Always happy to help you out with any requests. Stayed in a loft room; loved the style of it and the amazing view! Great value for money! Has a great deal with Ozsports for skiing! Very affordable.
- Yes it's a little out of town but the atmosphere is amazing and everyone staff and guests are very friendly
- For an extra fee, bus will pick you up right outside reavers lodge to take to ski mountains
or you can trek into town for the cheaper bus
- Great great deal with Ozsports for skiing & snowboarding
- Be mindful that dorm rooms are not single sexed
- Dorms are great
- Loft rooms are incredible
- Kitchen facilities are fantastic as well

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked a 7 day Powder Package through Ozsnow Adventures with 3 of my mates from Sydney and it was an unreal week away. The snow was awesome and there was a really good vibe present at the lodge throughout the whole week. The staff were really accommodating and helpful which was really nice, and the group dinner was a nice way to get to know other people staying at the lodge. The lodge had a party scene, which is always good for young travellers but the staff were also good at keeping the noise levels down after 10pm, which was nice to get a good nights sleep on the trip so we were fresh for the mountain the next day. Overall I would absolutely recommend Reavers to anyone travelling to Queenstown who want to get out, enjoy the mountains, enjoy the night life and take advantage of all the activities this awesome town has to offer. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had booked in for 7 nights as I wasn't aware, that the place is definitely a backpackers only. I am 43 years old and I was the only one at that age for the whole length of my stay.
The first night was terrible as there was a party going on in the room above mine, which made me wonder, if the youth was dancing in skiing boots and would crash any minute through the ceiling. Even my earplugs weren't able to cut out the yelling.
The next day I was told the people had left. So I stayed at that place but overall it was still pretty loud most of the nights as a lot of drinking was going on.
During my stay the room wasn't cleaned once. Everything is very basic, but I didn't really mind that.

My conclusion, I wouldn't want to stay at this place again or as a family or as a mature traveler.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I spent some time in Reavers Lodge back in April 2014 while travelling to Queenstown and enjoyed my experience so much that I came back to spend another week in early July. I am a frequent traveler and have stayed in many different hostels and backpacker accommodations. Reavers has by far been the best accommodation I have stayed in while traveling. Apart from getting the chance to meet so many people with interesting travel stories, accommodation here is very comfortable. I'm not very good at planning trips or activities and the reception staff helped me out so much with booking my activities for me! The staff in general is so helpful and accommodating to your needs. The rooms are always kept tidy by staff and if there ever is a problem reception is always there to fix it. Its just an overall great place to spend time while in Queenstown as it is very close to the center of town and its suitable for any age group looking for a a place to stay. I highly recommend it !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo