“Experience of a lifetime”

AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand
More attraction details
Owner description: AJ Hackett Bungy is the world pioneer of commercial Bungy Jumping. It all started in Queenstown, New Zealand in 1988, and since then they have become an established World Leader in the Tourism Industry. Recognised for an innovative, and “outside the square” style, AJ Hackett Bungy is continually looking towards new ventures and pushing industry boundaries. Their professional crew, high operating standards, training schemes and procedures ensure an impeccable safety record.
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This was awesome. AWESOME. And I didn't even want to do it! I did a tandem jump with my sister off the Kawarau Bridge. First off, it's jaw-droppingly beautiful. Below you, sky blue waters rushing under the bridge and before you, horizon meets sky. All this punctuated by screaming. Yeah, all this beauty and who cares because you're jumping off a bridge in ten minutes.

You check in, pay, and get weighed. (Pay how much? I hardly noticed.) They write your weight on your hand (awesome) and then you take your ticket up to the bridge. Jimbo at the counter was cute and oh so nice. He was very reassuring and laughed at our nervous jokes. At one point, we were counting down and taking little jumps together inside, and a staffer walked by and asked "Are you girls practicing?" "Yes," we said sheepishly. She then proceeded to give us pointers.

You can hang out on the bridge and alongside it, watching jumpers go, if that makes you feel any better. Then you get small-talked (they're good at distraction), harnassed, attached to the bungy cord, and then in a rush, 4-3-2-1, GERONIMO! Don't think, just dive head-first and suddenly you're tumbling amongst flashes of light.

They wave a long pole at you while you're hanging upside down, you grab it, you're told to let go, and suddenly you're in a raft and heading to shore. And then ... it's all over.

Begin the endorphin high that lasts for the rest of the day.

AJ Hackett was safe and supportive. We saw trembling legs and little screams of "don't push me!" and with some gentle coaxing, everyone made the jump. Also, they take great pics. This is a definite must-do, even for the not-so-brave of heart.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,959)
All reviews
in 148 reviews
"crew"
in 186 reviews

Reviewed 3 August 2010

at a glance the $250 price of this one jump looks a bit obscene but trust me it is definitely worth it. standing on the edge of the nevis with nothing but a rope on your feet, you look down into the gorge 150m below. your nervous system is going into overdrive trying to prevent you from falling to certain death, but your mind knows better. or does it? nevis is a test of whether you are really in control of your body. the rush of adrenaline, a reminder of what it feels to be truly alive, the boosted confidence in your ability to overcome adversity. this is what you are really paying for.

Reviewed 27 May 2010

The bungy was an awesome experience that I will never forget. I am afraid of heights but like to do crazy fun things (I have skydived too). But I will admit I have never been so afraid before. This is over a 400 foot bungy and you freefall for 8 seconds. If you like adventure and have ever considered bungy or skydiving just do it. An incredible rush and a lot of fun. You also get a free nevis t-shirt. It takes about 3 hours or so... about a 35 to 40 min drive from the aj hackett bungy center in queenstown.

Reviewed 22 May 2010

After reading about this jump I just had to do it. Riding the bus out there was like going to a funeral but once we were there we started to lighten up if only slightly. By far the worse part is standing at the edge but what a rush you feel as you jump off. I liked being able to pull a cord too and you'd flip upright when at the bottom of the jump so you were no longer hanging upside down. You then get sorta winched back up the way you came. It is expensive for the jump and DVD but totally worth it. A must do for all!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2010

If you're like us and travelled a great distance accross the Pacific, you MUST go to Queenstown and do the Nevis Bungy. 2nd highest in the world, 134m (400ft). The staff is excellent, well trained and professional. You can tell that they love their jobs. You check in at "The Station" (the adventure outpost shop in downtown Queenstown), fill out a few forms, pay and wait for the shuttle bus. The jump is a little expensive but it's once-in-a-lifetime type thing so it's totally worth it. If it's the first time you've done anything like this most likely your nerves will be going full force. Let me tell you that the nerves are the worst part, the jump it'self is amzing, almost a religious experience. They have a 100% safety rating, or so we were told! After your jump, while you still have all the safety gear on they will offer you to jump a 2nd time for half the price, in my opinion you should do it (we didn't, it's my only regret from our trip). Looking back, you're so nervous that you don't thoroughly enjoy the jump experience. After you find out that it's not all that bad, do it a 2nd time and soak it al in! We did another bungy at a different location and it was very cool leaping off a bridge with no fear! One other thing... This is not limited to young adventure junkies. Anyone can do it. If you're over the age of 65 and a NZ resident, you can jump for FREE! There was a senior husband and wife in our group... how cool! After it all, they will try to sell you the pictures and video from your jump, also expensive but worth it. You do get a "free" t-shirt included with your jump price. It's not the coolest looking shirt, so you'll probably end up buyng one of the nicer ones back in the shop. This is New Zealands MUST DO attraction!