“Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes is the best”

Ultimate Hikes Guided Walks
Book In Advance
More Info
US$283.87*
and up
Ultimate Nature Experience from Queenstown: Dart River Jet Boat Ride and Lake...
More attraction details
Owner description: The only operators of multiday guided walks on the famous Milford & Routeburn Tracks: operating in New Zealand's stunning World Heritage Area, providing range of all-inclusive guided walks from 1-8 days. Trek through rainforests, past mountain peaks and over remote alpine passes on a unique experience without sacrificing comfort or convenience. Accommodation on overnight walks is in luxury lodges, with meals, hot showers and snug beds. All walks include transport, food, equipment and expert guides. Single day excursions must be booked 24 hours in advance.
Merritt Island, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes is the best”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful group of 45 hikers, and 4 fantastic guides, Sean, Tom, Alyssa, and Aidee, who were all very helpful and worked hard to make our experience the best possible. Having a warm shower,bed, plentiful good food, laundry and dry facilities; made the hiking part a pleasure, even on the challenging rocky paths. Getting drenched the last day as Tropical Storm Lusy approached added to the memories, especially crossing roaring streams in our boots. The canyon, river, and water fall views were spectacular. The boat tour of the Milford Sound was beautiful and peaceful. My sore knees were better in one day and well worth the memories.

Visited March 2014

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I and 2 friends just completed the Milford track walk. It was a fantastic experience made all the more enjoyable by Ultimate Hikes! The guides were friendly, knowledgable and well organised. The lodges well run , clean and comfortable and the food fantastic! As a novice hiker I would highly recommend this company as a way to experience hiking !!!

2 Thank Kjjsydney
Nelson, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unforgettable experience”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This was the most amazing experience - no superlatives could do it justice. I walked the 3 day Routeburn Track with Ultimate Hikes in early March, and taking this guided option was worth every cent. On our first day we walked through rain and snow, so the hot showers and sauna-like drying room for wet clothes were greatly appreciated. The guides (Amanda, Becca and Fraser) couldn't have been better - friendly, supportive, and knowledgeable - and the facilities at the lodges (including the meals) were A1. But what I'll remember most vividly is the stunning scenery and vegetation, especially on Day 2 when we were up above the bushline and on the Harris Saddle. I'm over 70 and although (thank goodness!) I spent a few months getting fit for this walk, I don't think I could have have coped with the DOC hut option, where I would have had to carry twice as much gear, not to mention sleeping in a bunk room with 20 other people for 2 nights in a row. So Ultimate Hikes really made it possible for me to experience this wonderful walk - an experience of a lifetime.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Kokako8
Newcastle
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Routburn Track in style”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I recently completed the 3 day 2 night hike of the Routburn Track. I had done the Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes a few years back and thought then it was one of the best experiences I have ever had any where in the world, now I have done the Routburn I think it might be slightly better. We walked for three days in perfect weather, the views were stunning. The accommodation and food is amazing and the guides are excellent, they even fix your blisters for you, thank you Moon. I would recommend taking Ultimate Hikes advise and make sure you build up your fitness before you go, I should have done more but I still had a fantastic time and I was never the last one in at the end of the day.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank 54traveller
Chicago, IL
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
““Glamping”…and worth it!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Milford Track is rightfully famous, and Ultimate Hikes embraces its role in making accessible to just about anyone willing to pay a little to join them. Don’t fool yourself that you’re roughing it– if you’re looking for a gritty, granola experience, this isn’t it; despite hiking 33.5 miles in just over 3 days, you’ll be ridiculously well taken care of (especially by your awesome guides - thanks Katherine, Amanda, Phoebe and Kelly!) But if you can’t get a pass as an independent hiker / like the idea of hot showers every night, drying rooms for rain drenched clothes, ample cooked meals, alcohol for purchase, and complementary washers / dryers at the end, this is a great option.

The hike package includes stays in four lodges along the route (the last in the wee hamlet of Milford). If you can, the ensuite option seemed worth the upgrade for the three nights not in Milford (everyone has a private bath on the final night), though the dorm rooms looked perfectly fine as well (and restrooms with flush toilets at all of the lodges were very clean).

You won’t lose weight - 3+ meals a day (cooked and continental breakfast, 3 course dinner, stuff-your-sack lunches and snacks along the way) plus afternoon tea and cocktail snacks are provided, as well as ridiculous luxuries like hot cocoa at McKinnon Pass atop the summit and hot soup / cold drinks at the lunch stops. Veggie mains are available for all meals – all are delicious.

A few words on gear: Ultimate Hikes offers complementary backpacks, raincoats, and rain covers for the hike – take them up on this as your stuff will get soaked in the rain and their supplies are of good quality. And though they’ll recommend walking poles, if you’re in reasonable shape, don’t worry – you won’t need them. (DO, however, bring the bug spray – sandflies are no joke.)

Visited February 2014