“The glass was half full :-)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Central Otago Wine Tours from Queenstown
Ranked #2 of 24 Food & Drink in Queenstown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join this award winning New Zealand Wine Tour Company and discover the wines, history and sights of Central Otago, New Zealand's premier cool climate wine region. Appellation Central's small group wine tours depart daily from Queenstown. An absolute maximum of 12 adults per tour and experienced guides ensure a fun day out in wine country. You will learn about wine appreciation, taste some of the region's great wines, enjoy a delightful gourmet platter lunch and visit the historic town of Old Cromwell. In 2011, 2012 and 2013 Appellation Central Wine Tours have won the Great Wine Capitals national award for Wine Tourism Services and in 2012 won the International Best of Wine Tourism award for Wine Tourism Services.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Mackay, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The glass was half full :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We kicked this off the day after our wedding, greeted by Richard with a smile! We were the only two which was a little awkward at lunch time.... But having said that - was still a great day!!! Very educational and great pleases to visit..,. I would just like to have a lunch I choose myself - but other than that - love NZ - people love what they do and it shows !! (I can tell... I am from here!) totally not biased tho!!

Visited June 2014

Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Highlight of Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spent the day on this wine tour. Phillip was our guide and his knowledge was extensive which was evident by the respect and deference shown to him by the vineyards we visited. Everything about wines was explained simply and no question was too stupid. The wines were amazing, the company was outstanding and I couldn't recommend this tour enough. I have meant to write this review for 8 months now but for whatever reason I hadn't got to it, however; it would have been an injustice not to post it. A big thank-you to Phillip again for such an enjoyable day. A must do if in Queenstown!

Visited September 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“I don't know how it could have been any better!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I became the de facto tour organiser for a group of friends who are all wine enthusiasts and were keen to explore and learn more about the Central Otago wine region in New Zealand.

Initially this didn't seem to be a particularly difficult task - I had been to the area before and knew a little bit about the geography of the region and some of the wineries - but as the number of people expressing interest in the trip grew and the complexities of arranging visits to a number of wineries in a relatively short period of time became apparent I started to panic.

I then contacted Blair Hunt from Bald Hills Winery who I had met some years before to ask if he could assist in some way. He suggested I contact Appellation Central Wine Tours in Queenstown as he believed they had a good reputation. Always a little wary about tour companies I sent an email of general enquiry and received a prompt, courteous and helpful response. Over the ensuing months I was coached and guided by Wendy from the company and ultimately we developed a 3 day tour (with a rest day after the first two days of touring).

Of course the planning is important but the delivery is even more so. On the first day of the tour proper we met Phillip who was to be our tour guide and driver for our visit. With formal qualifications in wine he was an ideal guide. He was quietly spoken and clearly had an excellent knowledge of and relationship with all the wineries we visited.

I doubt that the selection of wineries could have been better. From very small to somewhat larger (nothing in the region is very large) the cross section was appropriate. Of significant interest to our group was the exploration of bio-dynamics and how it works in the vineyard. We met some quite amazing and inspirational winemakers and viticulturalists who we would not have been able to access if we had tried to do this trip on our own.

In summary the service provided to us was exceptional. No doubt there are always minor things that might have improved the experience even further but seen in context every one of our 14 strong group came away saying our trip was better than we could possibly have anticipated.

I obviously have not experienced the shorter tours run by the business but I could not expect that they would be anything less than excellent if our treatment was any measure.

1 Thank GMA1950
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Review from learning wine tasters :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Our guide (dave) was extremely informative and was very enjoyable company. He had great knowledge of wine in the area and wine in general!

All the wineries, wine and food were different, great and we had a lovely day eating and drinking with good company!

Recommend to all!!!!

Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent, informative tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I took a half day tour and couldn't have been happier. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and the guide Richard was very knowledgeable, not just about the wine industry in Central Otago, but wine in general. Highly recommended.