“Two bedroom”

Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Two bedroom”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this posh hotel. Large describes it best. Our friends booked there too and their apartment was just as nicey appointed, however, they didn't get a view. Make sure you call them directly and ask for an apartment with a view of the lake. It makes all the difference.

Room Tip: get an apartment with view of the lake
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cindy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We booked this hotel on arrival to the South Island after a week in a campervan so wanted a bit of luxury after that. We booked the Rees based on previous reviews on here, and whilst I knew the hotel was out of town, I felt that to get a luxury hotel would be worth it. Whilst I have no fault at all with the hotel itself, it is very nice, I just don't think for the cost of it it was worth it.Yes the views are fantastic, but so would the views be from any of the lakeside apartments, and there are plenty which were a lot cheaper which are closer to town. The apartments are well decorated and in good condition but I just didn't feel that they were luxury enough to justify the price we paid given you either had to walk 40 minutes or take a car/bus to town. (The 1 night we did try to get picked up from the shuttle bus it didn't turn up so we ended up having to pay for a taxi home anyway!)

Room Tip: You must choose a room witha view otherwise I don't see the point in choosing this hotel at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mrshoeson
New Lambton, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2013

From the minute we walked into the hotel, we were welcomed and made to feel like VIP's from every staff member we came into contact with. The views of the lake and the mountains from your room, the restaurant and reception were truly surreal. I have stayed at many high end hotels in Queenstown before, but none compare with the Rees. You pay a bit more, but truly get what you pay for. The beds were great and I usually take my own pillow, but I'd forgot it this time and my sleeps were just as good as if I was at home. The hotel has a shuttle that runs to town on the hour, but I would recommend a car as it's only a 5 min drive to town and parking at the Rees is free and ample. I honestly won't stay anywhere else when I return to Queenstown in the future.

Room Tip: Any room with a "lake view " will truly have a 180 degree lake view and worth the extra mo...
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I booked an Air New Zealand package for my 21st birthday which included a 4 night stay at the Rees. It just so happened that that week, there was a freak snow storm that closed down flights to and from Queenstown. With many people stranded, there was a bit of mayhem so unfortunately we received well below par service at the Rees. Firstly, we were given the furthest room from the hotel and in a blizzard it was agony just leaving our room (there was quite a distance of having up and down stairs outside). Secondly, we had quite a bit of car trouble with snow chains and had asked a few staff members to help us out; each person we spoke to kept referring us to someone different and so we ended up getting help from a helpful fellow guest. We found the internet access to be quite slow and unreliable and I had to keep calling reception each time I logged on to renew the password.

On the plus side the facilities were top class, the room view was spectacular, the room was comfortable and clean. The bed and couch were comfy and the gym was great.

All in all I would not book again with the Rees as the cost to stay there did not match the quality I expected. The experience has also put me off booking 'luxury' packages as I think I could do a better job at planning a trip at a much cheaper price without any sacrifices.

Room Tip: Get a room closest to the hotel in winter
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saarah68
Sydney
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for two nights. Staff were very helpful and rooms well appointed. Excellent kitchen facilities which worked well for us with two young kids. Would definitely stay again and recommend to my friends.

1 Thank Meltsydney
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My family of four stayed three nights here and found it to be one of the best on our trip to NZ. The apartments were perfect for us. The master bedroom with views of the lake was perfect for us, and the second bedroom, while darker, was great for the kids - double beds and less light meant more sleeping in for both of them. The rooms are very modern and well appointed, and we enjoyed the balcony as a place for breakfast or just sitting. My only complaint is the one bathroom in the unit which is too small for four people sharing it. It is unfortunate they didn't allocate a bit more space. This is the only thing keeping me from rating it higher. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and the concierge got us booked into things with a minimum of hassle. Above all though, the restaurant there was fantastic. We had one of our best meals on the entire trip there, and the menu for kids went well beyond the typical chicken nuggets and french fries usually on a kids menu. The location and lake views are amazing, but be aware that the hotel is not in town itself, so a drive or long walk is required.

Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My husband and I have just spent 5 days at The Rees. We arrived very early and as expected our rooms weren't ready but they took our luggage and suggested that we go into town for a while, so off we went, and came back about 1.00pm and our room was ready.
The room was tastefully decorated, we had free internet connection for the entirety of our stay, king size bed, mini bar, couch, TV, large desk and en suite. The room was clean. There is a large window that allows you to look into the ensuite, so unless you like to view your partner on the loo....it's probably best to keep the blind down! We felt that the blinds on the windows didn't provide any protection from the morning light, so if you want a lie in and the light wakes you up this be a problem.
When we looked on line it stated that the room didn't have a view but when my husband phoned the booking clerk said it had a view of the lake just not the edge of the lake....that was very wrong, we were on the 5th floor and we only had a view of the mountains (Remarkables) and the back of the rooms that were in front of us - so when booking make sure you check that out if you want a view of the lake!
The staff were courteous, friendly, professional - just couldn't fault them at all.
The restaurant was fantastic, I would have to say it was probably ONE of the best meals we had on our stay in Queenstown. We only had breakfast one morning and that was pretty much run of the mill, continental or cooked - but boy the dinner menu is most certainly worth checking out.
This hotel is out in Frankton really about a 10 min drive into town, so you either need a car or they offer a shuttle into town which runs quite frequently, there is also a water taxi and that is a great way to travel into town and see the lake from a different prospective.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple