“Five star if you don't eat at the hotel's restaurant.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments

The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
Ranked #8 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Altrincham
“Five star if you don't eat at the hotel's restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at The Rees apartments for four days in July and thoroughly enjoyed our stay (apart from our meal at the restaurant). The apartments are tastefully decorated to the highest standards and were kitted out with everything you could possible need. We particularly loved having a washing machine and dryer and the living flame fire was lovely on a Winter's evening. The concierge (British) was very helpful and assisted us with activities, the check in and check out very efficient. The shuttle bus was a nice to have option, but the stroll down the riverside to the centre of Queenstown wasn't a problem. The only downside was the hotel's restaurant which was absolutely dreadful. The service was pathetic and the food awful. Having pre-booked our table, we were shown a seat in a tiny, atmosphere less room and given water, we had to ask (some 20 minutes later) for a 'proper' drink, another 20 minutes later we asked to order. After another 20 minutes we were given an amuse bouche from the Chef which was just plopped down on the table. I called the waiter back to ask what it was, and was told it was a deep fried pigs ear- not great for a vegetarian. When I told him this, he simply giggled and walked away leaving it in front of me. The next two courses followed the same pattern. The food was over salted and over priced. We left prior to the desert arriving. If you want a good meal, go into town to the Botswana Butchery!

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment overlooking the lake. Note: the wifi in Queenstown is dreadfully slow.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was the highlight of the trip. Having a Spa bath whilst looking out over the ranges and the lake was simple spectacular and so private. We will return here and the staff are only to willing to assist with any request. We wanted a massage and within 30 minutes, two people arrived and 90 minute massage was provided in the comfort of our room. Now that's what I call a holiday!

Room Tip: Must request a room with a view as simply too stunning to miss the lake views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights during a hokiday to new zealand. Staff were incredibly friendly and were given a free upgrade upon check in. Had amazing views over the lake and mountains and a very large and comfortable room. Ita a bit out of town but we had a hire car and the hotel has plenty of free parking. They also offer a free shuttle bus into town but I didnt use it so cant comment on it. The restaurant was too expwnsive for us so we are elsewhere but the menu looked good.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kenn1986
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our 3 night stay at this hotel was just amazing. The rooms so spacious and large and jaws dropping view over the lake. The stand out was an employee by the name of Chris. He was in Concierge. He was only to eager too make our stay that much more enjoyable. Thank you Chris. The negative if there had to be one is the breakfast. I don't mind paying $28 but to only get 1 rasher is just annoying. Needless to say I only had breakfast once! But overall the Rees Hotel is a beautiful hotel with friendly staff. Thank you

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Swa B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of June. We loved it! Comfiest bed and pillows ever!! The shuttle was handy and we chose to walk into town a few times- was about a 20-30 minute stroll along the lake (great views)! Free use of the laundry was great! Amazing views!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Executive lake view hotel room. Amazing view and the spa bath was great!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hi all. Not often do I go online about my hotel experiences however let me tell you about the Rees Hotel and Luxury Apartments.
This place is simply amazing.....I am very lucky to know some lovely people, Geoff and Julie, who have a 2 bedroom apartment with a lake view, and they were kind enough to let me stay at this state of the art establishment. I work in aviation and I've stayed all over the world, from Hawaii, UAE, London, all across Europe, Canada the list goes on... I have to say this place beats them all. The staff are just so warm, genuine and caring, the apartments themselves are 5 star, not one thing I can fault. Whilst we had some construction just outside our apartment approximately 100 metres away starting at about 9 every morning, we didn't hear a thing as the windows were so thick....also an asset considering how chilly it was outside.Slept so well, and woke to spectacular views of the lake and snow covered mountains.... thats the only reason I knew about the construction as id walk out onto the balcony and look around and be surprised they were there working hard. There was nothing better than relaxing with my dear friends drinking New Zealand's finest wine, just staring outside admiring the views and enjoying the warmth of a lovely fireplace. To top it off you go into the bathroom expecting cold floors only to be pleasantly surprised...... who am I kidding I was yelling from the roof tops as these tiles were heateddddddddd.....just another thing to top it all off.
Best friends, fine wine, genuine and kind lovely staff, spectacular views, such attention to cleanliness and an all round 5 star apartment...I was in heaven. I cannot fault this place and if I could move in and call the Rees Hotel and Luxury Apartments my home I certainly would in a heart beat. Go and book you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Go online and look at all the attractions prior to landing into Queenstown....than book them. We lef...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is the second time I've chosen to stay at The Rees - the first time I was there was by myself in June 2012 in a studio apartment, this time with a group of friends in a 3 bedroom apartment, to celebrate a milestone birthday. Simply put, it's a fabulous place to stay, and it was great seeing the expressions on my friends faces when we walked in. The lake view and backdrop is simply stunning and these apartments/rooms are right on the lake. You could spend hours sitting on the balcony looking out. The rooms themselves are spacious, modern, tastefully decorated and very clean - as you would expect. The fireplace in the living room is very welcome, as is the spa bath in the main bedroom. Each of the bedrooms is very comfortable, and each had its own bathroom which was great. Then there's the staff. Very helpful, very attentive, be it at Concierge or at front desk. Everyone has a smile - and why wouldn't you? Looks like a great place to work too. It's less than 5 minutes into town by car, with plenty of undercover parking. And the restaurant - True South Dining - is a spectacular experience, which deserves its own review. If there was anything that could do with review, it might be breakfast which was a little ordinary (shoulder season?) and being charged $5 for a peppermint tea-bag for in-room use. That was a little crazy. But both very minor and I'll look forward to staying here again - book a lake view and you'll love the experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lake view room - it's worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends