“Luxury all the way”

The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This hotel lives up to it's 'luxury' tag. We rented a 1 bed apartment for 4 days from New Years Eve. When they received our booking several months in advance, they immediately contacted us to see if we wanted to book their restaurant for NYE and also suggested some venues that would be open on New Years Day - Very thoughtful.
We were absolutely delighted with the quality of fixtures and fittings of our apartment and the view over the water was magnificent. The apartment was afforded the same services as the hotel - brilliant.
We did dine in the restaurant on NYE and it was superb. The English chef cooked some of the best food we had eaten in N.Z. all beautifully prepared and presented. The wine list prices were very reasonable for a venue of this quality. We ate at the restauant on one other night and the quality was just as good.
One small observation was that the breakfast staff were slow and lazy. I think a bit of training would go a long way to improve the service.
Overall, a fantastic venue. Would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petandi
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 23 January 2010

This complex is beautiful. We stayed in a three bedroom apartment which was beautifully designed and appointed. The hotel restaurant is a real treat with excellent service and gourmet food. The view is spectacular.
The only fault was that we stayed during a busy time and housekeeping was not up to the standard we expected - perishables were not replenished, our robes and slippers never appeared over the entire 5 days of our stay etc.
the other disappointment was the fitness centre - a few pieces of equipment crammed into a very small room - why bother?

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Check-in was really disappointing, staff were brusque and didn't offer to porter our luggage. Not usually a huge deal, but the walk to our room was a convoluted hike, so we struggled with our bags.

First impression of the place was pleasant but somewhat clinical and characterless. The room was smart and modern, but ultimately unsatisfying. The view out over Lake Wakatipu was stunning, but tarnished by the unsightly and unfinished back garden. We were frequently disturbed by neighbours' television noise and horrified by the exorbitant internet charges. The bathroom was superb, very plush fittings, a great shower and underfloor heating.

Overall, we had mixed feelings about The Rees, and would hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ukoz
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Had some problems with first room (problem with door locks) and room building/numbering is very hard to understand but reception team handled it very well and offerered an alternative (and better) room.

Excellent quality. Fantastic views. Good services. A bit far out of town but you don't get these views in town.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Had to cancel a trip to the rees for 3 days due to unforseen family circumstances.
I offered to pay for the first night as I was cancelling late but was told in no uncertain terms that I would pay for the full booking.I tried to explain that the card details they had were my daughters but I was talked over and she kept repeating I would pay all the booking.
At no time was any concern shown for my family circumstances, all they wanted was the money.As I tried to explain they would be lucky if my daughter had any money in account
but she later found when backpacking in Australia they continuously hit her card to get the money they said was due.(she was left in dire circumstances for couple of days because of this)
I am glad to say we did not find this dreadful greed anywhere else in NZ.
I can only say I am glad I had not booked to stay for 2 weeks, this hotels treats the internet bookings as a way to make money for doing nothing.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank toots666
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Rees in a 3 bedroom apartment. Check in went very smoothly and we were shown to our room, 4401. The apartment was very clean and had fabulous views. The staff was friendly and constantly asked how they could be of assistance, making sure that we were enjoying our stay.

We did not eat or have drinks at the Rees, so I cannot comment on the food. We also did not pay for internet as it was pricey. The location is a short drive to the main area of Queenstown or a pretty long, but do-able, walk...maybe 30 minutes? There is a walkway along the lake all the way in to town. The laundry worked well and was convenient to have in the apartment. The living area was nice. It seemed pretty narrow to me, though.

Overall we really liked this place. My one complaint is that our 3 bedroom place was actually 2 apartments with two very heavy doors and one joined entry way separating them. This made it quite awkward with 3 kids, ages 13, 11, and 7. We ended up propping open the doors with chairs. There is no latch to keep the doors open, and be advised that the doors are extremely heavy. With the doors closed, you would not be able to hear them at all in the night if there were any issue. I wouldn't have booked this if I had known. Also, in the two bedroom, there is only one bathroom to be shared by everyone. No separate master bath.

We would definitely return to the Rees provided we were in the same space instead of 2 apartments.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank vickiandboystravel
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Wooden bedroom furniture was gorgeous - almost seemed over the top!
Our breakfasts were the best we had in New Zealand in 16 days. Lovely intimate, relaxed dining room with freshly cooked breaksfasts (the stewed plums were the best I've ever tasted).

Was disappointed that I was offered (by email) pilates and yoga classes 2 days before we arrived and yet when got there, there was none! (company gone bankrupt I'm told).

Disappointed that we were charged for WIFI use after spending a lot of money on rooms - leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple