“Biking Holiday”

Alpine Lodge Backpackers
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Biking Holiday”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Such a great place to stay at..... the first thing that struck my eye was how close the hostel is to the gondola a 1 minute bike ride and a full view of the gondola carts climbing the mountain everyday : ) I was greeted by the staff member Tom who is also keen Mountain biker and he showed me to my room and the all of the facilities for my use. The room was clean and tidy so were the bathrooms (a lot of bathrooms in ratio to amount of rooms here, which was fantastic to see) The communal living room was a joy to relax in and watch movies or talk to fellow travelers after a day’s biking and the kitchen was clean and tidy with more than enough amenities to use. Once settled in I assembled my bike and stored it in the lock up for safe keeping.... when it was time to hit the trails I had the pleasure of Tom joining me to give me a bit of a welcomed tour of the bike trails and the hydration rooms ( Pubs ) and everything seemed pretty awesome from here on in.... Il be back again for sure : )

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Adam G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights with my girlfriend in a double room. It's literally a 3/4 minute walk from the coach stop which is handy when carrying lots of bags, wonderful helpful and friendly staff and a lovely chatty cat which kept us company when we were having breakfast alone. Clean kitchens (two, one downstairs, one upstairs) and our bed was comfy. Only downside I would say was a little noise from the toilet which was next to our room. Overall it's a good place to stay in Queenstown where most places are expensive!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've stayed here twice now, and loved it both times. Its small enough to be nice and quiet, but still big enough to have a great atmosphere. The bedrooms, Bathrooms, Kitchens etc are all clean and obviously maintained to a high standard. The staff have an amazing knowledge of the the local area and its activities, and are more than willing to share it with you. Definitely one of the best backpackers hostels in New Zealand!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

About 2 mins walk from town centre and about 5 from the waterfront. Good small hostel with good showers and kitchen facilities. Could do with new bedding soon, but what was provided as clean and warm.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Greta location + great staff = Great hostel
Friendliest & cleanest hostel that I stayed at during my round the world trip, the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome on arrival and were a font of knowledge for ideas of what was available to do locally. Recommend to all.....

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
New Zealand
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Sorry in advance it's gonna be a little bit longer, but I really want to share this story:
I arrived at 11am, the hostel seemed deserted, only staff was there to clean. I couldn't check in until 12, which was fine with me, I left my bag in the luggage room and sat down in the lounge to pass some time, because I had to work from 12-5...

Now here it comes, when I asked if I could have the wifi password, the guy in charge told me I can't have it until I've checked in...he knew I'd have to work and I had given them my credit card details, so obviously I wasn't going to leave... he was so extremly unfriendly about it (not that he was the nicest to begin with) and this is how it went from then on:
Me:"Can I please have it now, I just want to skype for 10mintes before I go to work"
Guy: "You're not allowed to use any of the facilities."
(As a joke) I said: "what about that table over there, am I allowed to use that?" (pointing to the place I had sat before)
Guy: "Actually no, I am cleaning and you're in the way. You should really be waiting outside" (note that it was drizzling outside)
Me: "Well am I theoretically allowed to cancel the reservation again, I thought it's fix?"
Guy: "Yes sure, grab your bag" (taking the keys going to the luggage room)
Me: "I said theoretically"
Guy: "No I want you to leave now"
Me: "Are you serious?"
Guy:"Yes if you argue, you leave"
...so I left

Maybe he had a bad day but customer service and hospitality definately sound different to me...the problem in Queenstown is that he'll get away with this terrible behaviour, at the end of the day he'll be booked out...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank DotS721

Travellers are raving about these Queenstown hotels

Hexham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I'm no fan of Queenstown, being the wrong age to enjoy all that adrenalin stuff and noisy night life, (got that particular t shirt years ago) but travelling by bus round New Zealand I had to stop here. This place was my haven. All my needs met in a clean, small, friendly place, with exceptional staff helping plan my forward travel with their knowledge. Very good price, I recommend this hostel unreservedly.
Free and fast wifi not to be underrated as I have paid for much worse.

Room Tip: Taff put me at the back, right next to the bathroom, perfect for me, quiet and comfy