“"The Savoy" of Backpackers!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Queenstown
Aspen Lodge Backpackers
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed here from August 23 - September 3 with 11 nights in total. This is my first backpacker experience as I usually stay in very nice hotels. I came here from Eastern Canada for the Queenstown Gay Ski Week and I stayed in a double en-suite room. While the room was basic & functional, the service I received from the owners (Mandy & Sally) & the managers (Dan & Jen) was superb! As a long time Fairmont President's Club Platinum member, the service I received from Mandy, Sally, Dan, & Jen were as good as, & sometimes even better than, the service I received from the Platinum Concierge of Fairmont President's Club! For example, Mandy helped me park my SUV in the parking area close to the building where my room was when it was very dark & rainy one night, and there were a few other cars parked in the parking area already. Since I am from North America & the driver side is different in New Zealand (steering wheel on the right instead of the left), I had some difficulty fitting the SUV into a tight space. Mandy volunteered to park my SUV for me & did an excellent job! What backpackers do you know that the owner volunteered to help park the guest's vehicle into a tight space?? Another example was that I told manager Dan that I needed help with something very small the night before & when I saw him the next morning, he told me he will take care of it for me just as I was leaving the premises. Manager Dan provided me with very personalized service (taking care of ticket issues during the Gay Ski Week, among others). Again, this is the type of service I expect from the Platinum Concierge at Fairmont Hotels yet I received this kind of personal service at Aspen Lodge Backpackers! I have booked my return trip with Aspen Lodge for the 2013 Queenstown Gay Ski Week already and I look forward to coming back next year to "The Savoy" of Backpackers.

Room Tip: If you are used to nice hotel rooms, make sure you reserved one of the ensuite rooms. You will hear...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Aspen Lodge Backpackers

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed at at a private double for 10 days for a conference in Queenstown. The bathrooms and the kitchen were very clean. the bed was very comfortable and the heating in the room keeps you nicely warm. The place is only a 5min walk from the town centre but quite and away from the noise. This place is a great alternative if you are after a simple place on a budget but don't want to stay in a dorm or party backpacker. The staff are very friendly and helpful for finding places to eat or go out. Definitely good value for money

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed for 13 nights in a private double and would definetely come back. Staff was very friendly and helpful, shower was good and everything was very clean (even the fridge!).

The only thing I would have wished for was new cooking pans, as all of the ones who were available had definetely seen better days but that alone is not enough to knock anything off the rating.

For the rate I was paying I think this is an excellent choice, and the location is pretty much perfect (quiet, yet very close to town centre and supermarket just 5 mins away).

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We arrived in town without reservations and the Tourist Info recommended this place. We got a private double, it was very clean but there was no TV in our room and all the other backpackers we stayed in did have them in the private rooms. Also there was no heat in the shared bathroom. We ended up moving to The Black Sheep for a better and cheaper room with a TV. The staff was extremely nice though and the people staying in the dorm rooms seem to be enjoying themselves so if you're looking for a dorm bed this review should be ignored.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We only stayed here for one night in July 2011 and booked at the last minute (stranded in QT due to the airport being closed). We chose it based on the reviews here, and they didn't steer us wrong - it's a genuinely nice place to stay.

The location is great if you're after somewhere quiet - it's just outside the centre of town, away from all the noise, but only a short walk into town. The rooms are simple, clean and warm, and the beds are fairly comfy. The two kitchens are well equipped, and there's plenty of space to store food. The staff at reception were lovely, and since there were three of us travelling together she gave us a 4-bed dorm room to ourselves, which was really nice. There are two common rooms in the main building - one has several computers for guest use and is designated as a quiet room, which is a nice touch. The main common room has a lovely open fire and comfy couches, and is a great spot to hang out and chat with other travellers. It's also got a small balcony with a great view of the mountains - the perfect spot to enjoy a couple of drinks when the sun hits it in the afternoon.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank PropMonkey
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Clealiness is everything! located around 5 min walk from the busy town. So, quite a quiet place with gorgeous view. There even have small fire place to warm up yourself in winter! Even dorm rooms are equipped with ensuite bathroom. Pleasant stay! And friendly staff!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

Spent 3 nights with my husband in a double ensuite room. Simple but well done. Everything felt clean. Wasnt too noisy. Location is great because you are right by the hustle and bustle but not too close that you can get away from it if you want. Really friendly and helpful staff. Our only dislike was the kitchen TV lounge in the double rooms area (there are 2 in the hostel)- can use a general update and a good scrub. Otherwise cant find any faults. Would def stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012