Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers
Scenic Suites Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$180
Great 4.5/5
US$130
Good 3.5/5
  • Room Service
Novotel Queenstown Lakeside(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$171
Novotel
  • Restaurant
Mercure Resort Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$129
Mercure
  • Pool
Villa del Lago(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$418
US$388
Agoda.com
Excellent 5/5
Swiss-Belsuites Pounamu Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$155
Matakauri Lodge(Queenstown)
US$1,487
US$1,440
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsfree soupinternational callselectric heatershort walk to the citybig kitchenhome away from homehot tubunlimited wificlean roomshostelhammocksbunjiloungeproscons
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Great place, great atmosphere, the guy behind reception, tall blond hair, maybe Phil? Great with the popcorn machine. The employee Charlie was unfortunately very moody and troublesome at times, but since he's a cat, I think I could look past this! Overall great place.

• Stayed: May 2014
Takoha C, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Mrcuddles1, we appreciate your feedback very much.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our lovely little hostel and that you had a good time with us in Queenstown. We try very hard to make sure there is a good atmosphere in the hostel.

The man is called Will and I will pass these comments onto him. And the popcorn is very nice to have around, it makes the reception smell very nice.

Charlie, the cat, is currently on a trial period and I will pass this message onto him :)

Thank you again, The Bungi Crew.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Massively loved our stay. Came to have the "Queenstown experience" were not disappointed.
The posh british man at the desk was more than happy to tell us in detail all the activities available in and around Queenstown.
Like getting free soup.And having a room name instead of number. Much easier to remember at 4am.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much, Charlotte, for your review.

We try our hardest to give every one of our guests the 'Queenstown Experience' and we are glad that you left satisfied.

Will is the name of the man in question and I will be sure to pass your kind words on to him. He has been in town for more than a year and knows quite a lot about what to do here.

The room names are just another little quirk of Bungi which makes it a completely different experience to other hostels.

Once again, thank you.

Regards, The Bungi Crew.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in...has a real homely feel to it. The staff are awesome; super friendly and go out of their way to help you. Slightly angry cat, but the free soup more than makes up for it!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad that you felt comfortable and at home at Bungi. Charlie the cat means well, I promise. He is very friendly at heart. We are also glad that you enjoyed our free homemade soup. Another little homely treat.

Hopefully you will stay with us next time you are in Queenstown.

Regards, The Bungi Crew.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I booked Bungi based on its reviews and a couple of features listed on it's site, free parking and the "family" aspect. Well, I parked my car and was then told to move it. Apparently, the free parking means use the road. Disappointing. I'd have been happy to read "free parking nearby", however, one expectation dashed almost immediately. No one in when I came to check in at 1pm, someone turned up at 1.15 and opened up, but told me i'd have to wait till 1.30. Ok, then just as I started to walk away she gives a key to the guy behind me waiting to check in. I guess he was younger and more handsome! So, I've booked a private cabin ($66) per night. It's outside, so should be clear of any noise. Seems noise inside isn't tolerated after about 11, so I ended up with a group outside my window till about 2. Nothing outrageous, just a bunch of loud, drunk early twenty somethings giggling and gassing away. Room was below average, the double bed wasn't and had broken taped together slats underneath making for an uncomfortable sleep. I book backpackers to meet travelers and share experiences, this one was full of overseas and non Queenstown NZers working in the area. You can't sit in any public area without hearing at least the F word every minute. The free soup at 6 was good and plenty of it. Wifi was a pain with having to log in every time you connect your laptop or smartphone. Overall, 2 is probably half a star more than I'd have liked to give. If you're on your own, it's not a bargain at $66, you can get a room with its own facilities for little
more.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Wiki W, Marketing Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Ok not a nice review! Harsh and unfair. Our Hostel is one of the cheapest in town. Our free WIFI soup and now VOIP - free international calling are not a common backpacker offering! We are a backpacker in Queenstown which is an international destination so we don't get many older NZers like yourself and so we do employ overseas people - who I might add are wonderful, hard working and a delight to have around. You maybe referring to the fact that at the moment we have a number of French people working for us. All of our staff are fantastic and we do not apologise for that. I will personally follow up on some of your points about noise and check out the bed you feel was not comfortable enough for you. I hope you shared your complaints with our staff? we welcome all feedback!.
We have been undertaking a lot of improvements to our lovely wee hostel like refitting showers, painting outside and inside, new bedding and of course adding to our free offerings.

Warm regards arohanui (lots of love)
PS we actually have a number of Maori (indigenous people to NZ) working at the hostel as well which we are proud of - not many Maori work in this industry!!

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Love living here great people family vibe nice n quiet if u dont like the bigger hostels come here its lovely :)
Clean tidy great atnosphere and yummy free soup to warm you up every day on the cold nights :)

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you numbilin for your review.

We are very happy that the hostel felt like it had a nice, family vibe to it. The staff are family and close friends and we try to make sure that all guests have a comfortable and pleasant stay.

We pride ourselves on being a small, quirky and quieter hostel, which is what sets us apart from the larger hostels in the centre of town.

Many thanks, The Bungi Crew.