“Bungi review”

Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers
“Bungi review”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very basic but good value for money. Shower was a bit dodgy with intermittent hot & cold water which was not fun given the freezing temperatures outside. Good wifi, friendly, homely feel with good free soup every night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Will_P_Bungi, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hi Caitlin, thank you very much for your review. All feedback is appreciated so we are glad you took time to review us.

We are also glad that you enjoyed your stay at Bungi Backpackers and enjoyed the many benefits you gain from staying here. The soup, free wifi and that homely feel to name just a few.

In regards to the shower, I apologise. We did recently replace our water heater, so this shouldn't have happened. The only explanation is that it may have been at a peak time and all the water was being used. Saying that, I will have a look into this matter and speak with our plumber.

We hope that you will stay with us the next time that you are in Queenstown, but until then, enjoy everything that this beautiful country has to offer.

The Bungi Crew.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in the 'Gold Room' out at the back of the hostel. It was a little shed, but soooo cosy! We didn't spend much time in the communal areas but found everyone to be really friendly, especially the staff (Will was great). The kitchen was well stocked and though the fridges were full, we were always able to find space for a few things. The kitchen and bathrooms were cleaned every day and there was always hot water for a shower. The hostel had a great homely feel to it. The only bummer was that we had to go inside via the garden and kitchen to get to bathroom, but we knew we would have to share a bathroom and it was a small price to pay for our cosy little room. There were a lot of animal scratching sounds coming from our walls through the night. I guess they just wanted to make a nest next to the warm walls, but I suppose this might freak some people out a bit so maybe management could have a look at this. The hostel is a short walk from the town centre and it is super easy to arrange pick ups for skiing to the various locations in the area. We went to Cardrona on two of the days we were there, and got picked up practically outside our door. Thanks Bungi Backpackers!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Will_P_Bungi, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi JennyLees, thank you for your review. We are all very glad here that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our cosy little cabin, The Gold Room.

The fridges are something that we are looking at at the moment, but I am happy that you found space for your food. The kitchen is cleaned everything morning, along with all showers and bathrooms, so i am pleased that you found them to your liking.

The scratching in the walls is something that was recently brought to our attention and we are looking at ways to control this. It can be hard around this time when it is very cold.

Last but not least, thank you for your kind words about me. I appreciate it and I am glad you liked my help. I love my job and town, so I like to make sure I can inform every single one of our guests as best I can.

Once again, thank you very much from everyone here.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

bungi is a home away from home! fantastic staff and service, they got everything you need for an awesome stay....! free wifi, free meal, hot tub, lounge room, free international calls and so much more....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Will_P_Bungi, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
John H, what can I say? That is a fantastic review and we are all so glad that you enjoyed your time here with us in Queenstown. We try to make sure that our guests are comfortable and happy, so to hear that it was a home away from home makes us ecstatic. The free international calls is a new feature to Bungi and it appears to be going down extremely well, which is very good. We like to keep our guests in touch with their family and friends abroad :)

We hope that if you return to Queenstown in the future, that you'll come to stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was enjoying the time at bungi. The staff were nice. People staying there were super friendly and helpful. Honestly, i felt like home there. The common room was cool. I also love the free soup. Yummm!!! And free wifi was greattt!!! Only if the kitchen was cleaner i would rate this place 5 star!! And the room was quiet smelly. But overall... I love this placeeee <3

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you, Trivialandp, for your review of our little hostel.

What can I say. That is a lovely review. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We like to make our guests as comfortable as possible, and by reading your review, I'd say that we managed to do that.

In regards to the kitchen and your room, we have a dedicated cleaning team who clean every morning, so I will pass this review onto them so that they can keep an eye on the kitchen and the rooms. So please do accept my apology and rest assured that I will make sure that this doesn't happen in the future.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We really loved this hostel, for many reasons. The private room was good, free Wi-Fi, a hot tub (very nice after a day of skiing), parking available, and free international calls. Also free soup every day, I didn't have any myself but it's a nice touch. The only thing that was bad was the kitchen. It's so dirty. It's hard to find a clean pot or cup so you're doing the dishes twice, actually.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review of Bungi Backpackers, IsabelleWestra. We are all very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the room you were in was nice. The hot tub is extremely nice after a long day on the mountain. A lot of people mention this. We are also pleased that you like the idea of our soup. I think it's delicious, even if I do say so myself.

In regards to the kitchen, I apologise that you found it dirty. We do have a dedicated cleaning team that cleans the kitchen for 2 hours every morning, then the reception staff clean it during the day, before the night porter cleans it again in the evening. We do try our best to make sure all of the crockery and cutlery are clean, but sometimes this can slip through unnoticed. I shall let the cleaning team know and we will make sure that this doesn't happen again. So thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Hopefully you'll stay with us next time you are in Queenstown.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Good staff with good advice on local area
Cleanliness was good
Free popcorn and soup at 6 o'clock home made as we'll witch was very nice
Would recommend this pace to anyone staying in local area
I have stayed here twice now and would go back again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Takoha C, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your review Richard. We always appreciate all feedback.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and had a nice time in Queenstown. All of the members of staff here have lived in Queenstown for quite some time so their knowledge of the area is very good. Also we are glad that you liked the free treats available to all guests.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Thank you, The Bungi Crew.
Rotorua
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great service from the tall English guy at reception!!! Wish we only had longer to spend relaxing to enjoy fully all the free comfy inclusions very affordable and wicked views. So pleased to be outside the main buzz of the town to unwind at night after big days exploring the high octane of thrills it has to offer! Only downside toilets and showers below average! Plus tho good artwork in our room very true kiwiana let down only by the fact the room was divided by a thin sheet of plasterboard merely roughly cut out more than a hack job could hear people next door even at a whisper noise. Come on guys everything else is fab and so worth it bring it up to par with the wall bring in a professional to fix it properly. Will stay again for sure when we return. All in all great place if your a backpacker especially on a budget feels like home!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Cit2getha, what a lovely review. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write such a concise review of Bungi Backpackers. Will is the name of the English guy and I will be sure to pass this review onto him.

In regards to the toilets and showers, we are in the process of renovating the whole hostel, including the facilities. So I apologise if they weren't quite up to par.I will also look into the issue you mentioned about the thickness of the walls, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope that next time you are in Queenstown you will stay with us and enjoy the changes that we will have put in place.

Thank you, The Bungi Crew.