“Regular stayers”

Queenstown TOP 10 Holiday Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Over many years we have brought hundreds of high exchange students on tours of the South Island. One of the regular stops has been the Shotover Top 10. Never had a bad stay. Management have been friendly and helpful when dealing with us and our bunch of teenagers. I would recommend this Holiday Park. Thanks kenneth and his team, the improvements since you have taken over are amazing.

Room Tip: The motel units 1 to 4 great value
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank toeneey
DanniTOP10, Office Administrator at Queenstown TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2016

Hello toeneey

We love to welcome our regulars!
Thank you for your feedback, see you next time!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in a deluxe unit, with shared bath and kitchen. The place was very clean and tidy. Beds are comfortable, not too soft. It is close to Queenstown and Arrowtown but not in the middle of the hussle and bussle. Therefore it is in a quiet area. People are friendly and helpful. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Ignimbrite

Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
Your feedback is very important to us.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

While in the South Island we stayed in four top ten holiday parks,. Location, pricing, and ambience of the ensuite were excellent. Condition of unit and general layout just great. We stayed here 13 years ago as tenters and this time we enjoyed the ensuite accommodation - wonderful - thank you .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear brenda57_12

Thank you for your kind words, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay!
Warm regards

Reviewed 20 April 2012

While in NZ we stayed at five Top 10 Holiday Parks. I was very impressed with them! For those from the U.S. this is similar to the KOA campground chain there. These for the most part were even nicer than many of those.

So I don't think I realized there was a Top 10 closer to Queenstown until preparing to write this review. This one was a little ways away, but definitely not too far away to be inconvenient. Actually, I liked being out of town a little. This campground was quiet and the mountains around it were spectacular. I Facebooked a pic of my amazing view from the cabin one morning.

As with most all Top 10's this campground was clean, well-kept and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The cabin had a very tall ceiling so it felt very large. It was nice and we were pleasantly surprised to find sheets on the beds. Since the cabins are separate units, not touching each other, we couldn't hear anyone else. The campground was above average in most every way.

Queenstown has tons to do and lots of great shops and restaurants. I would think if you didn't have a car, unless you were only going into Queenstown once, you'd want to stay at the Top 10 that is closer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Hello RandomTraveler76

Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

A top quality holiday park in excellent order throughout. Plenty of space between unit blocks. Relatively quiet despite a main road close by. 6 kms from Queenstown but a good road between the camp and the town. The unit was one of the best we had been in on this trip around the South Island and at $126 per night (members' rates) was excellent value for money. Friendly and obliging managers and staff. Serviced daily.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Geoff33

Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
I am pleased to hear you had a great stay with us!

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Excellent facilities, clean & tidy. Good kitchen.
A bit on the pricey side if on a budget. NZ is becoming expensive for us tourists, but this
we knew before we came.....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi RoyGorstner

Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

Let me begin by saying this place has outstanding potential and was a lovely, lovely, lovely little place to stay. Unfortunately there were a few things which really set it back.

On arrival we went to check in and I took the honest road saying I had aquired two others along the way and can they stay with us also. I was laughed at and told yes they could but it would cost an extra $200 on top of what we had payed. I understand that places charge extra for other people but $50 a person, a night is really steep... and the way the staff handelled it was really unprofessional. I admit I was stressed and so I was asking him to help me out but he kept making jokes about ditching my friends, or cancelling my friends sky diving so she could pay. They did not budge at all and I had to go ask everyone to fork over another $50 which was a lot at the time, this bunked it up from $600 for 3 nights to $800 for 3 nights which is a HUGE difference. The main guy continued to make jokes and the girl was so unsympathetic. Finally one of them offered to show us the downgraded room stating we would only have to pay $10 extra if we downgraded our room. So we went from being in a beautiful apartment which was big, bright and gorgeous to a small cramped cabin which was dark and hot! Some might argue it was my fault because it is their conditions, but it is more so the way they go about it. The girl who helped us also asked us to come to her if we needed a taxi because if she recommended 5 people she would get a free ride...

Because this is a chain you paid for EVERYTHING, we spent over $20 alone doing our washing. And you cannot make a phone call unless you use a pay phone of which you can only purchase a $5 minimum card.

Another day my friend was sick and they had no phone in the room so I rang reception and asked them to pass a message. She flat out refused stating she was on her own and couldnt leave the reception... I had to pretty much beg her to go and tell one of them I had called and ask them to call back, she FINALLY agreed and to her credit she did it... but at first she refused and was completely obliging.

It is also REALLY far out from the city so if you do not have a car don't bother. There is a bus which runs every hour and it costs $7 a person... the green cabs do a $20 flat rate to the city but if you are going back and forth it is not cost effective...

Now for the positives, the grounds are gorgeous and well kept, the rooms are clean and liveable and the setting is so picturesque, it is located near the shotover river and is surrounded by mountains....

Had none of that stuff gone wrong I probably would have not cared about the car and the distance but we started on a bad food and I did not like the way we were welcomed. I would probably stay there again but only if I was travelling with 2 people, as if you add more it becomes as much as a city hotel is... and I would only stay there if I had a car

Room Tip: The highest value one is soooo nice, if you can afford it... go for it
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
shotovertop10, Owner at Queenstown TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Dear Lauren

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us recently. We are grateful for feedback which has contributed to us making numerous improvements to our Holiday Park in recent years.

Firstly it is unfortunate the two friends you picked up on your way had run out of money and had no transport. Our attempt to remedy this problem by downgrading your accommodation was perhaps not the best option for you and we regret doing so.

We understand your disappointment at not staying in the Executive Motel which you booked originally. These are well appointed and equal in presentation to the very best units in Holiday Parks anywhere in NZ.

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding price. The additional charge for extra adults in our roofed accommodation is $25.00 per person per night not the $50.00 quoted in your review.