“Thank god it was only 1 night”

Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak
Ranked #48 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
“Thank god it was only 1 night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived and were not offered any sort of help with our bags it just kept going downhill from there. The entire building was dirty and not just out of date totally abandoned. On our way to our room which was at the far end of the building we noticed cracked light fittings, carpet stains and marks all over the walls. When we got to our room we turned on the heater only to hear it chugging like a freight train which would help keep us up all night. We then tried to call reception and realized we had no phone connected. We then went to reception to ask about our phone which was apparantly going to be sorted out. We had lunch which was nice food although the wrong meals to what we ordered. We then checked on the phone situation and were told it would be sent up immidently (it never came). We decided to use there restaurant for dinner and the waiter admitted to be embarressed to say that the ribs were not served with any sides/salad. The food was nice but a total of 4 ribs was a joke for the price. We decided to have an early night only to be kept up by our noisy neighbors until 11pm when I got up and asked them to please keep the music down. The noise soon came back and of course we had no phone to alert the reception. The neighbors soon went out but as they came back at 4am we were wide awake again. A total of 3-4 hours sleep we hoped the breakfast would lift our spirit but canned fruit was not all that appealing. We then explained to the staff that they still had not given us a phone and at 3am it would of been nice to be able to let them know without walking from 1 end of the building to the other to the reception. We were then told our phone had been stolen and they did not have a spare for our room. I explained how bad our stay had been and the staff did not even apologies just simply nodding there head and saying 'all I can do is tell the manager'. A simple sorry goes a long way.

A day and night I won't forget for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank J F
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
It is disappointing to read of the issues raised, especially with the staff attitude and for this I am sincerely apologetic. I will certainly address this with the team so thank you for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately we have little control of guests disruptions at times, but agreed a phone would have helped and this has now been rectified.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I stay last weekend as friends had a wedding and the reception was at the Distinction Hotel across the road.

Yes, from the outside (images used to sell the property on booking website) it is very charming. As soon as you get inside it is a little different. Yes, a little worn out. Definitely in need of a serious renovation. The room size was good, standard size, can't complain. Room decor little old > 21 inch CRT TV with only 3 channels, not the best beds, and the heater was an old fan heater (rattled, but it kept the room warm). The room was clean, but missed the little details of attention . But then anyone who booked online and compare prices of accommodation in Queenstown (last minute booking) you would have worked out. So for us it was fine. Staff were friendly, Free Internet, their free shuttle van (every hour) dropped us off in town and picked us up when we needed. So if you are out and about all day and just need a place to overnight for a good price...then is OK.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LebortsNZ
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We appreciate your honest remarks and great to read that the staff were friendly and accommodating. I will share this with the team
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Well past it's best, old 21inch CRT TV with only 3 channels, uncomfortable beds, not the cleanest, and quite frankly breakfast was disgusting, cold eggs, dried up baked beans,
Redeeming features was that it is very reasonably priced and warm.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Tony K
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
It is disappointing to read of the issues raised and for these I am sincerely apologetic. We are in the final consent stages for a full hotel renovation. We serve a buffet breakfast for our early morning tour groups that tend to eat at 5.30am to then travel onto Milford. So to read you were presented with the buffet is not usual practice as we switch to a full a la carte menu once these groups have departed. I will rectify this immediately. Thank you all the same for bringing this to my attention so I can make the necessary changes to ensure all of our guests are given optimal service during their stay.

Travellers are raving about these Queenstown hotels

Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We also bought the Grabone deal, after i had read tripadvisor and the replies from the General manager at the start of this year saying renovations were underway or about to be, so for $99 for 2 adults and a child including breakfast sounded really great.

We also arrived and straight away noticed the black mould in the alcove windows, the bathroom tiles and roof had not been cleaned (and not cleaned for a while) there was a toothpaste or soap mark on the bench above the basin, my wife being a clean freak wanted to go and change rooms but i could see from our alcove that both the windows either side of us were the same and the side from the carpark could also be seen to have mould but needless to say she wanted to go and buy cleaning products/mould spray so we could at least feel clean ourselves.

We could not get very good cellphone coverage so i looked at the hotel wifi but that also had a very poor connection.

The front of house staff are very cold and don't have a great demeanor for customer service apart from the one dark haired girl who greeted us every morning. I was told by a man $50 would be taken off my credit card when we checked in but when i checked my credit card balance this was actually $150, the breakfast restaurant and cleaning staff are, helpful and friendly but obviously in regards to cleaning perhaps could do with some extra training.

This hotel has a lot of potential and could be really great with some TLC, decent maintenance and some modernizing, breakfast was a really good spread, rooms were spacious, i would definitely be happy to pay more if this was the case.

I would stay here again but only with another good deal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Yessiryousir
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Yes it is disappointing the renovations have taken so long to get underway and yes the property does have huge potential. As part of the renovation which is now scheduled to commence in August a full new ventilation system will be installed into the ceiling space eliminating the current issues with mould. It is unusual to read of issues with the straight of the Wifi as I have not had this comment before. However we will be increasing the routers also to give greater coverage. With the current small issues I am glad you have said you would return on a deal and $99 for a room and breakfast for 2 in Ski season is certainly a sharp discount. Lastly I apologise for the issues raised and will work with the team to rectify all we can.
Dunedin, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our family of 4 stayed here for one night on a $99 bed/breakfast deal through Grabone. What a bargain we thought! Well you get what you pay for.
The hotel looked nice from the outside, and reception
was nicely presented.
The corridors towards our room on the second floor smelt like old cigars, very strange but no biggy.
Our room was spacious and had a queen bed and two singles for the kids. Although very dated, the room was ok and had everything we needed. The heater had been put on for our arrival which was nice.
My attention was first drawn to the dripping wet windows. I totally understand that it was winter and obviously there would be condensation issues, but it was pretty bad. The wooden window sills were black from the wet and I actually had to wipe off the mould that had grown around the edges of the windows.
There was also some undesirable orange mould/staining on the shower wall tiles.
A little extra care when cleaning could have avoided these problems over time, surely.
Aside from the above, our stay was ok. The buffet breakfast was what we expected and the service in the restaurant was good.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank sn0sbig
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review. It is exciting to be able to report that we will be commencing a full hotel renovation commencing in 6 weeks. Part of this upgrade is the roofing and ventilation to combat the condensation issues you have mentioned. This is currently at its worst in heavy frost. I have had a word to the housekeeping team in regards to the mould, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I do appreciate you mentioning the positive aspects of your stay also.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

So stayed here last July and literally didnt have anything positive in relation to our accommodation.
The day we arrived the staff were terrible towards us. During the first two days of my stay the shuttle was running which was great as i was very reliant on it for transport. The problem was the staff acted completely unprofessional discussing how they are still drunk from the night before and how they stayed out the entire night, on the trips to and from the hotel. On the second day we arrived on time for the bus to depart, in the morning and it had already left asking a staff member why they said it leaves right on the hour, I then pointed out the clock above her head which showed 2 minutes to the hour and she shrugged. thus, i waited the hour for the next bus trip and we ended up leaving 15 minutes late as we waited for a staff member. once i finally got into queenstown it was a lovely place. I called at 2 for the shuttle to pick us up at 4..... never came... called again and they were unaware they were picking us up they only came out cause they needed to pick up a staff member.

Halfway through my trip the bus went over black ice and crashed which is completely understandable, except when i overheard staff taking about how they went out after hours to go pick up staff and that's the only reason for the crash. i definitely heard staff say this but i wasn't in the bus so i cannot confirm it. therefore, the next three days i had to spend around $35 on cabs in to the town which was very annoying but still there was nothing you could do.

the actual room looking about 20 years out of date. television received 2 channels well barley and mould all through the shower. bed was not comfortable and i was itching for weeks after the stay. in a room with 2 double beds and a single out of the 5 sleeping spots 1 had a functioning electric blanket.
The worst part of it all was yes we were told they are remodelling soon but there was literally about 10 other people we seen staying at the hotel during our time, did they really need to put us in the worst room possible?? I'm not looking for an upgrade but just a room that had basic cleanliness all functioning electric blanket's and a TV with more then 2 channels they rarely worked.

I'm sorry to say I really did not enjoy this trip and it to this day is still the worst place I have stayed at and it really did ruin my trip to New Zealand.

Room Tip: avoid at all costs if you have to spend big on a nice room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank WinterIsComing1
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive review. I am pleased to respond that shortly after your visit, nearly a year ago, Swiss-Belhotel International took over as the managing company of the resort. A lot of positive changes have come with this change in companies including positive high staff turnover, training, and upkeep of the property.
You can see from other more recent reviews the positive impact we have made and continue to introduce professional policies and procedures as well as train staff on genuine NZ hospitality. I am confident that if you returned to NZ and more importantly Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak you would be pleasantly surprised.
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Located right on the side of Arthur's Point Road, we stayed here for a day, prior to departing Queenstown after driving in from Milford Sound and Te Anau. We had stayed for 2 days earlier while at Queenstown at the Shotover Lodge (separate review), and wanted to try out a different place. Firstly, this place had major pluses compared to its neighbour. The rate was NZD 89 against 98 next door.
The space was much larger, both within the hotel as well as in the room.
All amenities were at par - refrigerator, kettle, tea-coffee, bathtub and even an additional bed for the kid (11 years), sans any charges.
They had a restaurant with a good breakfast menu. The Continental buffet at NZD 14 is a super option, but when we stayed, we couldn't, as we were there on a Monday and the sole occupants! We got a road-facing room (recommended) on the ground floor (you could try the first floor, or, the ground floor on the Queenstown-side wing), with a large window looking out at the mountains and the road, with much autumn scenery to adore.
Wifi is available for a charge, as also laundromat facilities.
It is about 7 km from Arrowtown and about 8 from Queenstown, and the pick up for most tour buses and shuttles is right outside this hotel.
There is also a Gaming Centre, Bar and a Huge Reception area, which lend it a very 4-star feel. The staff are really friendly and efficient too.
There is also a Spa Pool which is complimentary with the stay, as also a tiny pool alongside the restaurant.
Very strongly recommended for stay while at Queenstown, as it is midway between there and Arrowtown, and at $89, is almost the lowest good option you can find for independent en suite rooms.

Room Tip: Road facing rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
SwissBelResortGM, General Manager at Swiss-Belresort Coronet Peak, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your extremely positive review. I will ensure these comments are passed onto the team also. We pride ourselves on our location and serenity.