“Wonderful food, cozy setting, friendly service”
Review of Vknow

Vknow
Ranked #35 of 257 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This is a 6-7 minute drive out of Queenstown in a residential area, but well worth it. The food is absolutely first rate, different from the usual tourist menu, served by one of the owners in afriendly, laid back but efficient manner while the other owner cooks - brilliantly! Very informal, unusual, relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere . Great wines, great food and excellent value for money. No views, but if you're concentrating on the food,wine and conversation who cares? Highly recommended.
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Wonderful food, cozy setting, friendly service”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a wonderful small place, so do yourself a favor and book ahead to dine here. The food is well-prepared, nicely presented, tasty, and the ingredients are top-notch (fresh and local). The service was friendly, helpful and non-hurried. The wine list, though not extensive, offered an excellent selection by the glass, offering an opportunity to try wines from various New Zealand regions without having to invest in an entire bottle (which you could also do). The setting is casual and the decor is homey; this feels like a cozy neighborhood family-run establishment that's miles away instead of just minutes away from bustling and busy downtown. But it IS just a few minutes drive from the Esplanade, just off the Queenstown-Glenorchy Road, up Fernhill Road in a tiny strip mall; parking was right in front or on the street. If walking, it would be a long uphill walk, which wouldn't be fun in bad weather. We started our meal with a shared small pizza with blue cod, chili prawns, lots of cheese, and a lemon wedge on the side for added kick. Good crust. For my main, I ordered the duck confit on a bed of mesclun with puy lentils. It was delicious and done to my tastes, however, as I had gone on a hike earlier and had skipped lunch, there wasn't enough duck to satisfy my hunger for protein and I ended up making myself a snack a few hours later. My husband was very pleased with the venison loin with mushroom risotto (high praise as he grew up eating his Italian mother's risotto, we also regularly dine on venison at home). My husband had a glass of Vinoptima Gewurtraminer with the pizza, and Two Paddocks Pinot Noir (not the Picnic, but the regular Two Paddocks) with the venison. I had a glass of Drumsara Pinot Noir. We would definitely return on our next visit to Queenstown. Don't expect fancy, complicated preparations or innovative cuisine--this isn't Amisfield (which is also wonderful, but on a whole other level). The food here is non-pretentious, like that of a highly skilled home chef with a great palate or like fine bistro food.

1 Thank PassarinhoAzul

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Really Great”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

nice food. short menu, great host, family vibe, awesome platter, delicious, simple puddings, venison dish with mushroom risotto was outstanding, nice independent kiwi brewed beers

Potomac, Maryland
“Feels like Cheers”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

You know, when you go into a new restaurant, and the owner greets you by name (yes, I did have a reservation) and then proceeds to not only chat with you, but ends up sitting with you and talking about life, children, politics, etc, you've come to a special place. Feels like you're eating at a friend's home instead of a restaurant. Well, Danny made us feel like this! On top of that, the food was absolutely delicious. I had the Stewart Island blue cod with green curry. Husband had a seafood stew. We shared a Greek salad that spoiled me for the rest of my vacation (it really hit the spot. A salad is only as good as its dressing. I kept ordering Greek salads after our Vknow visit, but none compared). And the apple and blackberry crumble (made to order, so it takes a while) with vanilla bean ice cream was worth the calories. Danny knows a lot about wines, teaches classes about wines, so he enjoyed educating my husband (I don't drink) - get it? V- know/vino?

The atmosphere, the food, the staff, the owner, the value - all worth going "out of town" (it's not in downtown Queenstown) for this restaurant. We took a cab (about $10?) from our hotel, and walked back downhill after our meal.

2 Thank nreyesok
“Suburban sensation”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Danny looked after us very well. We were a large extended family group (13) and the food, wine and service provided topped off a great week in Queenstown. You won't get the lake and mountain views and it's a little out of town but Danny and Liz are clearly very keen to ensure you have a great meal complemented with superb wine. Would definitely return.

Visited April 2014
Texas
“Great dessert”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We were staying just across the road. On our last night, I ran down to the dairy to grab something sweet, but it was closed. So at 9:30 pm, I went into VKnow just to ask if they could do us up a quick dessert. 15 minutes later my wife and I were tearing into a fantastic berry crumble and an indulgent sundae. The owner let me take the plates (and I returned them the next morning)! What a hero! Many thanks! Can't wait to get the full experience the next time we are in Q-town.

Visited April 2014