“Best and safest hostel I have stayed in!”
Review of Deco Backpackers

Deco Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Queenstown
Deco Backpackers
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Best and safest hostel I have stayed in!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have stayed in this hostel and have returned as I have had the best experience.
I left my door open at all times as I felt this place was very safe and trustworthy. As for safety I left my laptop in the common area for 3 days and wasn't even touched, I have never known any hostel to have this level of safety in all my time traveling. This place was very homely and felt every person I met was very welcoming, especially the hostel workers (special mention to Tony and Barney) who couldn't do enough to help everyone that stayed here!
Yes there was a little noise before midnight, which didn't cause a problem, as lets face it you expect that at any hostel you stay in!
Free WIFI, constant usage of tea, coffee and herbs was definitely an absolute bonus to my stay here. Including a room full of bean bags where you can just chill.
I am returning again next year and will definitely recommend this hostel to absolutely everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at deco for about a week this year and can honestly say it is one of, if not the best hostel I have ever stayed in, people and management are very friendly and helpful and a special thank you to Tony and the deco dog Barney! thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to any of my friends in the future!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Rodgey2013
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This has got to be one of the worst hostels in NZ. Main reasons are:

1. Theft is rampant - Food, alcohol, cigarettes, electronics, anything of value will be stolen
2. Sleeping is impossible - Drunk idiots up all night shouting, breaking/smashing things (including a car at one point), fighting, stealing, etc.
3. Worst thing about it, the staff shockingly does absolutely nothing to stop it. There is no staff between approximately 6pm - 7am and the occupants/tenants go wild in that time.

Try it for yourself just for the experience. It is certainly that - an experience

Room Tip: Don't do it
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Richie C

Travellers are raving about these Queenstown hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is our favourite place of our new zealand trip. Amazing staff which is so nice, friendly and helpful. The rooms was clean and kitchen was great and well stocked.

Things that didnt work:
Wifi was rather at times weak but ITS FREE.
Parking is limited but we could park on the street. (remember to park with traffic not against traffic)
We got a room beside front desk so it was a bit busy and a little bit noisier.
Fire alarm went off one night and a bit of a fiasco.

Will I return? YES. (4 is because of one too many hiccups but I still loved this place.)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AngDingJiee
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

When we first arrived at this place, I wasn't expecting much. We were greeted by the owner (who was nice, but seemed to be busy) and shown around the place. We stayed in a double room that was separate from the rest of the facility. We were told that the wifi would only work in the kitchen area, but we managed to get access from our room! The bathrooms and kitchens are all shared, and they were both in fairly good condition with adequate room for everyone staying. Parking can be hard to come by, as there is only a small parking lot in front, but we found parking on the street nearby. Make sure you check out the garden area as well, as it overlooks a nice view of the city, especially at night!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here for four nights and had a wonderful time. Very nice room of 4 with plenty of room for all of our stuff. The kitchen and bathrooms were always super clean. Very friendly staff and free internet! :) Would highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Enjoy your free coffee/tea outside on the terrace overlooking the beautiful lake and mountains! :)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lexileigh
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed here twice on this trip; once before going out on Routeburn Track and again for a few days after we returned. We really enjoyed our stay. Our private room was in a separate wing and so we shared a bathroom with only two other rooms; our shower was pretty low on water pressure, but it was hot! And the shared kitchen/dining area was clean and well-appointed. The staff were friendly and really helpful - they allowed us to leave our car there while we were away on the Routeburn, and the Manager, Tony, spent some time with us talking about New Zealand. I recommend this place and will certainly stay there again if we ever make it back to beautiful Queenstown!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple