“Great Meal”

Ranked #20 of 262 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$11 - US$29
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A friendly pub for both tourists and locals alike, situated in the heart of Queenstown. Our aim is to have really good simple food and great service, in a welcoming environment
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Great food, excellent service and nice bar to have a drink and relax after a day of site seeing. would recommend this place for a meal.

There are newer reviews for The Ballarat Trading Company

Reviewed 23 May 2014

From the street in the early evening looking inside was like being in Europe - low ceiling, dimly lit, warm and inviting pub. We've missed these since moving to NZ 10 years ago. The staff were very friendly and the restaurant section had a large open fire. There was a big family group in one section obviously enjoying themselves and a couple with 2 children in another corner when we arrived but it was filling up as we left. My husband and I had a lovely meal although we found the chocolate brownie dessert too sweet for our taste. We would have stayed all night soaking up the atmosphere but we had already arranged to go to the movies (right next-door).

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We wandered in just looking for a place to have a few beers on a Saturday night and ended up having a ball!

At first the live band made it impossible to have a conversation without completely shouting. Once we truly realised this, we just got into the vibe!

For a very touristy town, we were pleased to have stumbled on what appeared to be a place where the locals go.

The drinks prices were on par with any pub but still had a great time

1  Thank Gil B
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A very popular bar and restaurant in the Queenstown Mall. We were lucky to get a booth table inside and I sat drinking in the ambience of the Stock Exchange atmosphere and olde world decorations and memorabilia. Absolutely loved the intense and interesting atmosphere of this venue and it was clear that this is a popular place in the evenings at least with lots of people hanging out at the bar area and others dining.
My meal was a pate tasting plate and it was extremely well presented and delicious. Others on my table had the seafood chowder which they loved.
Free wifi was available, which for us as international visitors, is always a great bonus.
The Queenstown Mall has many eateries and quality retail shops so don't miss it when you visiting.

1  Thank Leanne L
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Unfortunately we went on a very busy night and we lucked out with a less than average waitress - recipe for disaster! When we first arrived the waitress put glasses on the table (no water), eventually she came to take our drink order but when she realised she'd forgotten the water she took off to get some without taking our drink order so extra waiting for drinks (which would turn out to be our only ones of the evening)... by the time she finally returned we put in our drink and meal orders then we barely saw her again so no opportunities to order anymore drinks for the night. Meals arrived in a reasonable time frame, given that the staff were visibly rushed off their feet but my order of fillet steak with garlic chive butter and roast potato came out as peppered steak with vegetables (order was correctly put through by the waitress so something must have gone wrong in the kitchen). These things happen sometimes but it was extra frustrating because the absence of a waitress meant I couldn't even ask for some garlic butter on the side to make my meal closer to what I actually ordered. I must say that the quality of the steak was excellent and it was cooked to absolute perfection, I also noticed that the table beside us was receiving faultless service from their waiter so I imagine that Ballarat is usually a great place to go so we will definitely give it another try. Atmosphere is also great.