“Great place for adventurous folks”

Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great place in the heart of town, walkable distance to all the restaurants and gondola. Very nice and helpful staff. Rooms are clean and equip with all the stuff you need.
Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 August 2014

As soon as I walked into this hostel I felt right at home, the staff are really friendly and welcoming and give you a tour around the hostel when you first arrive. I ended up spending a lot of time in Queenstown and I kept returning to Adventure as it was the best hostel I found there!
I probably spent a total of around 3 weeks there on and off during May/June and was always made to feel welcome. I stayed in a variety of rooms - female dorm (which is amazing! large en-suite bathroom, hair dryer and hair straighteners available and i think they even had hair spray and a variety of nail polish you could use in the room!) 4 bed and 6 bed dorms. All the rooms are to the same high standard - clean and tidy, comfy beds, plenty of space for luggage including cupboards under the beds, plug sockets, USB chargers and reading lights next to every bed and you even get a 'name badge' when you check in to stick on the side of your bed so that you know the names of the people sharing your dorm.

The kitchen was modern and always kept pretty clean. The lounge has the comfiest sofa and bean bags ever, loads of movies to choose from as well as a wii. Plus 2 computers and FREE wifi!!
What I liked most about this hostel though was the social atmosphere - they make a big effort to run activities in the hostel that bring the guests together and give you the opportunity to meet people. Every Wednesday and Sunday the owner cooks a communal dinner you can pay $8 to join and the food is always amazing (especially the Sunday Roast dinner!). They also have mario kart nights and quiz nights. I'd definitely recommend joining in with these! I met some awesome people here and will definitely stay again when I'm back in Queesntown!
I honestly can't fault this place - one of the best, friendliest hostels I've stayed in! Thanks guys :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ali_McPherson
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Hands down the best hostel we've stayed in! Friendly staff, cozy atmosphere, great kitchen and bathrooms! Plus, the added bonus of free wi-fi, outlets and a reading lamp next to your bed, 2 iPads in a room where you can Skype (greatly appreciated to be able to call home!)
Thank you for a great stay!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a great place! I am an older traveller but did not feel out of place. The staff give you a great welcome and show you around (thank you Josie) and the facilities, right downtown, are super. The beds each have nice bedlinen, free towels and reading lights and the en suite bathrooms are such as you'd be glad to have in your own home. The bunk rooms are a bit small but the bathrooms and common areas more than make up for it and storage cupboards under the beds help.

If you are taking a side trip, the hostel will store stuff for you.

Lots of free stuff.. Free bicycle for the day, international phone calls if you want, movies, nice sunny balcony to have your meals on. This hostel makes a big effort to cater for the needs of backpackers. I was very impressed.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GWBBD
Reviewed 4 August 2014

First impressions of this hostel when you walk in are "Wow, another dive of a Hostel" but once you get to your room, your perspective changes. The inside of this hostel is so nice and has its own type of classiness.

Firstly the room - I stayed in a 4 bed dorm, and this hostel has thought of almost everything in here. There are little lockers at the bottom of each bunk bed, and every bunk has its own lamp, 2 powerpoints (perfect for your phone and computer while in bed) and a roomy storage pocket to put keys, snacks etc in. Each bed gets a doona and a couple pillows too. However the walls are quite thin, and being in the centre of QT you tend to get a lot of young drunk people around the hostel at night, and you're easily able to hear them banging on the walls and yelling things. This however was earlier in the night and not too late.

Bathrooms were nice, but they needed more. On my floor (approx 12 rooms) there were 4 toilets and 3 showers. I was often waiting to use both of these for a few minutes, but it cycled through quickly. Somehow the shower that was available most of the time was this same one that had didnt really fit into the holder properly (it's kind of like the shower you find in a disabled toilet). Ultimately I found the bathroom and it's amenities quite small and clustered. Unfortunately on the last day I was there, they said someone somehow turned off the mains gas to the street so there was no hot water for the day. How someone can do this, I don't know, but I won't mark down the review for that.

The kitchen was nice and modern and there were plenty of fridges for food to be stored in, and they had little baskets and pigeon holes for the food that didnt need to be chilled. Eating area were two big bench tables.

The lounge was very big, lots of couches and bean bags, and there were two computers at the back of the room to use for free. There was a printer there too. A big screen TV and on Thursday nights they have Mario Cart tournaments on.

My biggest downfall with this place, unfortunately was the customer service. I dealed mainly with 2 staff members while I was here. The vibe I felt from one guy here was when I asked a question or needed something, it was a hassle and a pain in the bum, even if it was a simple thing.

The other hassle was that I wanted to do paragliding while I was in Queenstown from the top of the Gondola, and I wanted to see if they could help me as I didn't have a phone while I was in NZ. Instead of trying to facilitate what I wanted, they had better ideas on what/where I should paraglide. I ultimately got convinced to paraglide from the top of Coronet Peak by these guys (I believe it was the Manager who was the strongest influence) even though I wanted to do it over Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu. I've read tripadvisor and looked up where the best paragliding was, and the best reviewed paragliding was the one I wanted (same reason I chose this hostel because it was the best reviewed). I can imagine the hostel gets kickbacks from helping people book these trips (especially this one seeing they pushed me so much to do it) and I found it odd that I payed the hostel and they gave me an invoice to give to the gliding company (this may be common practice in QT?). I was told when I booked that the day of the flight I should come back to reception at 10am so they can call the gliding company for a weather check. I came to the reception right on 10am so they could call, and the same guy (manager/owner I believe) told me to wait and come back 30mins later...? Seriously, you told me to come at this time. Instead of going back again, I walked to the paragliding shop and asked them myself as I could no longer be bothered dealing with the customer service of this place.

A very big downer to what was a good hostel, and from my experience of other hostels in NZ, this wouldn't be the number one on my list.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank kwil22
Brett D, Manager at Adventure Queenstown Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We apologise if you felt we did not meet our usual high standards of service. We do work very hard to offer the best for our guests, as other reviews will attest to. We definitely recommend the flights over Coronet Peak as we believe it represents better value for money as the flight time is almost twice(!) as long as from the top of the Gondola. We indeed get a small commission from selling any of the activities and it’s the flat same rate no matter which company we suggest, we certainly don’t receive ‘kickbacks’, we will only ever suggest what we truly believe is the better value product. The voucher/invoice system is common in Queenstown, it allows hotels/hostels/info centres all to work as booking agency. As for the weather check, this will have been an error by the staff who are more used to skydive weather checks which happen ‘on the hour’ for ‘on the half hour’ departures. Paragliding times vary and weather checks are done 30min prior. We apologise that this confusion became a hassle for you. We have taken this experience on board to improve for the future.
The points made about the bathrooms are incorrect. We have 8 rooms on that floor, 4 of them have ensuite bathrooms, so the common bathroom (3 showers, 4 toilets) is shared only between max 20 people across 4 rooms. This is a much better ratio than we are actually required to provide and as you mentioned, the wait was only a few minutes and people cycled through quickly. The shower which ‘didn’t fit into its holder’ has now been fixed, it was that the holder was simply loose, something we could have fixed immediately if it was bought to our attention. The gas mains were turned off for the street and the gas company were already working on the problem by the time we realised – a problem that was out of our control. The hot water was back on before lunch.
It’s nice to read that you liked everything else in our little hostel, we have worked hard to provide a wonderful place for people to stay while enjoying Queenstown!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Fantastic hostel! One of the best I've ever stayed in. Lovely, clean rooms, really nice, helpful staff and lots of extra touches like hairdryer / iron / tea & coffee in the room, dvds to borrow, a fantastic shower. The common areas are large and well laid out and the other guests were all very friendly. The location is great with all the bars and shops on your doorstep. I would highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I've backpacked through 22 countries and out of all the iconic backpackers, Adventure Queenstown is the best! The hostel feels like home. You wont want to leave and will end up extending your stay, so book additional days. Seriously, all the comforts of home and a lounge where everybody becomes friends. I had the best time in Queenstown because of this hostel!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo