“Great value for a top class hotel”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed here for five days on my own for a break and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had. The room was really comfortable and warm, I ordered room service for every meal and everything was fantastic. The location was great for walks and the hotel is sited so that it receives the sun for most of the day. The staff are really professional and friendly and the facilities are also great.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 9maaniyya
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear 9maaniyya

It was great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are fortunate to be situated over this side of the lake and receive all day sun.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our friendly team members.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again sometime soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Walked in of the street and the lovely young lady was very helpful trying to give me the room I needed and the price.We looked at a couple of rooms and decided one of them.I was in the room for about an hour and decided that I could smell a musty smell and also something they had spayed to cover up for it.I was there for 2nights ,so decided I didn't want to put up with this and went down to Reception again telling the poor girl ,You are going to hate me BUT ...... I had forgotten I had read a review about the smell etc, so I am guessing they have a problem in some of the pipes and it is coming up into the bathrooms.The Receptionist was only very helpful and she gave me another beautiful room and all was settled.I was there to rest and it wasn't appreciated that the alarm clock went off not once, but 3 times at 630am in the morning. I guess the staff aren't perfect all the time. Check the clock when you go to sleep Ha! The bed is beautifully comfortable and room is large .I was a little surprised that they don't have heated towel rails,which at the level it is and the cold temps Qweenstown gets too ,they should. The first night I ordered a Pizza for room service and I have to say it was terrible.The base was cooked on the edges and all the way to the centre was raw pastry.The second night I went to the Thai restaurant Mai Mai I think it was called and it properly was the nicest meal I have had in years.If you want something not expensive,fresh and healthy make the effort to go.I wish they were open for lunch as well.The little deli in the hotel is fab for coffees,cakes ,goodies and fresh Croissants things of you want to have a light breakfast with the paper and sunshine. The young chap in there was fabulous.He knows about service and they are lucky to have him.I also had 2 Spa treatments over 2 days and the first facial was to die for. My second one was nice but nothing to rave about.That was a massage treatment. The pool is wonderful and a perfect temp. Spa pool is a must! Unusual complex to negotiate around.Not sure the Arcitects planned the layout very well.All in all I have to say I really I enjoyed being there.I never got to do the boat trip into town or the walks from the hotel so perhaps next time.Oh by the way the pillows are all feather!

Room Tip: If you can't afford the lake rooms, there are some lovely inner garden rooms.it is a large compl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank gaylene62
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear gaylene62

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the Hilton Queenstown.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and were able to experience several of the facilities within our village.
I look forward to welcoming you back to stay sometime soon and maybe you could try the boat trip into Queenstown then.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I live in Queenstown with my partner and we decided to spend the night here to celebrate our engagement. We felt very spoiled here. The bed and pillows were seriously the most comfortable I had ever laid my head upon. I cannot believe that there were actually two large TV's in the same room (one in the lounge area and one in the bedroom area). The bathroom was huge! Loved the deep bath tub and raining shower head. But the best part, by far, was the fireplace. We had the coziest time cuddling up on the couch, watching a movie, drinking wine and enjoying the fire. We had the most basic room so I can't even imagine what the more pricier ones are like. Also, they sent us complimentary chocolates to our room to congratulate us on our engagement! With the pub and restaurants in the village there was no need to go anywhere. The spa also tempted us and looked amazing although we didn't visit.

The location isn't the greatest as it is not in town centre and the view is not of the best part of Lake Wakatipu, but if you are just looking to have a luxurious experience and don't mind being in a quieter area of town, this is the place to go. I've stayed at quite a few Hiltons in the States and this is, by far, the best one i have ever visited.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank laurennz82
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2012

Dear laurennz82

Congratulations on your engagement and thank you for sharing your comments following your stay.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed yourselves and found your room exceeded your expectations.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay sometime soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

sWe checked in for four nights to a deluxe lakeview room. Check in was easy with all the facilities explained. Bags were delivered before we arrived. However on entering the room we were under welmed on its size and location. Room 717 while being a so called deluxe had a slim view of the lake and a better view of the hotel roof. We had requested a high floor on the basis that that would give a better view. Our mistake. Visited reception to express our disappointment and the staff were very helpful offering a replacement room as soon as it had been cleaned. This room 316 while still of the same style and with the same facilities as the other was located on the lake front and was a little larger in floor area. Problem solved, well done.

The hotel itself is in excellent condition, with a superb indoor pool and spa, a modest gym, first rate wine bar and a lovely reception area. Room service was fast and fairly priced, if the menu was a little light on choice.

Location could not be better, if you do not require the hustle of Queenstown itself.

Unfotunately our last night was marred by an extremely poor dining experience in the hotels signature restaurant. I made a booking on the Saturday forthe Tuesday night for 7pm. As i was passing the restaurant at around 6pm on Tuesday, I took the opportunity to reconfirm in person. Staff had trouble locating the r and then having found it wanted to change it to 7.30pm which I declined. On arrival a little before 7pm we were met rather abrutely and asked to wait while they got organised, which seemed like poor planning given there would have been no more than half a dozen people inside.

We were shown to our table, which was spartan to say the least. Eventually the specials were explained, of which there was only one off menu. Orders were taken for scallops to start and lamb cutlets and salmon for the mains with sides of green beans and potatoes. The scallops were fine but nothing special, taste or presentation wise. Three small scallops for twenty four dollars was we thought expensive. During our time here we were served by four different staff which made for a disjointed dining experience. The mains arrived and were again of a modest portion and very plain presentation. The lamb was orderd medium rare and each of the three pieces was different, rare, medium and as ordered. I should have sent it back but at this stage I was hungry. As for the salmon, it was presented with an unknown side dish which we were told not to eat as it tasted terrible. Why put something on your plate to accompany the main that you cannot eat. Very strange. The fish was under cooked and without taste, being returned basically uneaten. The person clearing the plates queried why so much was left. He took the comments to the chef and we were offered a desert rather than a replacement main. At this stage the whole dinner was a disaster and so after less than an hour we took our leave, $170 poorer and still hungry. This experience has lets down the whole hotel hence the rating of three stars. Listening to other guests talking some were also very disappointed with the restaurant. Service, food quality and presentation need a serious overall. We would recommend that if you want a fine dining experience avoid this place.

So in summary, chose your room carefully as they are not all created equally, avoid the restaurant and enjoy the location and facilities.

Room Tip: Deluxe lakeview 315, 316, 215, 216 not anything on floor seven.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mark d
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear mark d

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our location and facilities.
Although we aim to exceed all guest expectations, unfortunately it appears we have not achieved that this time. Please accept my sincere apologies for the Grill not living up to your expectations on this occasion. Hilton prides itself on our guests receiving a memorable experience in the food and beverage outlets and I regret that this was clearly not the case when you dined in Wakatipu Grill. I understand our Food and Beverage Manager has been in touch with you to help resolve the issues you experienced.
I understand that it is important for guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and your feedback is most appreciated.
Thank you again and I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us again when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Queenstown in August, it is a beautiful complex with amazing scenery. We stayed in a deluxe lakeview room for 2 nights including breakfast. Breakfast was amazing, best breakfast spread I have come across. Large selection of fresh fruits and bircher muesli/cereals, you can make your own juice in the juicer, smoked fish, fresh meats,lots of fresh pastries to chose from also. You also get the option of any coffee you would like, the soy lattes were delicious. Also great selection of hot food including the usual sausages, bacon, eggs and also dumplings fresh omelettes with your choice of ingredients. The room was really nice, huge bathroom. The bed was really comfy too. The Me & Mee noodle bar had great food and great service. It is out of town a bit, about 10 mins in a car or water taxi (costs $12 return i think), the water taxi is a great option if you want to look at the surrounds. We weren't bothered by the location being out of town, it was nice no to deal with noise. The only thing I was not that happy about was the room was a deluxe lakeview but we had no view of the lake really at all, just a tiny area out to the right the rest of our view was the other buildings in front of us and to the side. The photos on the website show an uninterrupted view of the lake, not exactly what you get. I expected a better view for the price. However, if you don't care about the view then opt for a cheaper room because it is still a great place to stay. The walks along the front of the lake are amazing and start right out front of the hotel. We will stay again and would definently recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michellebarrry01

Dear michellebarry01

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your stay at the Hilton Queenstown.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and were able to make use of so many of our facilities within the village.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay sometime soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

An amazing Hotel. We stayed here for a week and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The rooms are FANTASTIC - they have a separate lounge room (to the bedroom) with a couch and an electric fireplace, which is really beautiful when its cold and snowing just outside in the courtyard. Rooms were large and impeccably clean (freshened up daily), they had a huge bathroom with an enormous bathtub. The hotel staff were always accommodating, and offered jugs of fresh milk to your room for coffee/tea, etc. The facilities were wonderful, it has a well equipped gym, nice lap pool and spa (which is great after a long day on the slopes).
The Kawarau Village location is also quite serene and picturesque, with an array of restaurants on hand. The food offered was always fresh and delicious. Me & Mee noodle bar is definitely worth eating at.
Breakfast in the Kawarau Grill was always fantastic. They had warm fresh muffins and pastries, and eggs cooked to order. Impeccable service, especially by the waitress Neha, who remembered our coffee order every morning.
The hotel is slightly out of Queenstown, but that didn't worry us at all because we had a hire care and it made it a really relaxing experience. Although the hotel does offer a shuttle bus into town. Or better yet, catch the hotel taxi across the Lake into town.
Overall, an amazing hotel, and a wonderful experience. We will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teppesta
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Teppesta

It was great to see you enjoyed your stay with us at HIlton Queenstown.
I am so pleased you were able to experience so many of our facilities within the village.
Great to see you will be back and I certainly look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Overall I would gladly stay here again, because the property is in great shape and if you drive it is a relatively short drive to Queenstown. We stayed here on points and I think that it was a great value.
However, if you want to walk to most attractions within Queenstown sadly this property is far away.
You can take a boat right to downtown, so if you don't mind paying the fare there it is a great and reasonably quite place.
The interior of the hotel seems like it was recently updated.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ucipass
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear ucipass

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Queenstown.

Our village is still new as we have only been open 15 months.
The water taxi is a very popular mode of transport into Queenstown ans we have many walking tracks right at our front door. Being situated over this side of the lake we are very lucky to enjoy all day sunshine.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are in Queenstown.