“One of Hilton's best”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Being a Hilton fan and HH member, I can definitely say this is one of their best properties room-wise. We booked a Deluxe Lake View for a couple of nights before doing the Milford Track, and absolutely loved our room, which is really more of a high-end apartment. It was elegant, spacious, and spotless, had an amazing view of the lake from the living room and balcony, and had all the amenities you could think of (including washer and drier, which really come in handy if you're on a roadtrip). Our unit had two rooms, and what separated the rooms from the living and dining area was not walls but folding windows, which I really liked, because you could simply open them in the morning and still be in bed while taking in the day's light. We stayed again in a Deluxe Lake View after our Milford hike, but the unit was a different layout (the bedrooms, for one, have proper walls), and so we asked to be accommodated in our old room, and our request was granted. But, like in all the hotels we stayed at in New Zealand, wi-fi wasn't free. And, yes, it's not in the city center, but Queenstown is so small, it's not an issue at all if you have a car. We would stay here again if we ever came back to Queenstown.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear edmarchHK

Thank you for a great review. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed the Lakeside Residences and that we could accommodate your request for the room type on your return.

Try and come back in the summer, with the all-day sun and the fabulous activities you will have a great time.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel facilities and accommodations meet the standards but other than that it's just downhill at this hotel. Location is quite inconvenient; transportation options into town are limited to water taxis which operate only after noon and on a two-hour basis (which significantly limits plans) or taxis which cost over 40 NZD each way (quite expensive for a 10 minute ride). The only other option is a public bus which is pretty inconvenient because it takes a long time, schedules are irregular and you have to transfer and wait a while to get downtown (which we were not informed by hotel staff when they suggested us to take the bus).

The breakfast is extremely poor... Only one type of eggs and pretty much the same two or three types of fruit every day; it gets old after the second day. Finally service is one of the worst I've seen. Their "Magic" line to request pretty much anything (or so they say) is worthless given I never actually did get a response on the phone. I had to walk down to the lobby to ask if there was something wrong with the line only to get reproached by the lady at the front desk ("lines are very busy you should expect to wait"). She didn't even ask what I needed. That was pretty much her and others' attitude all around making my wife and I feel guilty every time we asked or requested anything...even getting our room TV fixed which didn't work. We gave up asking for the TV to be repaired after four requests, all of which we were told someone (who never showed up) was on the way to our room.

I also found it incredible that we checked in the evening with no local currency and asked to exchange some USD at the reception. After they told us they had met their 200 NZD per day limit I asked for an ATM to make a withdrawal. On a winter night (trust me it gets really cold), the receptionists best suggestion was to walk 20-30 minutes to the closest ATM. They could not have cared less when I told them that was very irrational and asked for any other option to get local currency considering I wanted to get into town for a dinner reservation. They said they had no other options and carried away chattinf. I ended up exchanging USD at the next door hotel, which is ironically managed by Hilton. Even though I was not a guest there I felt more welcome and we'll received.

Definitely a no-return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear FAS1013

I was very disappointed to read how much you had not enjoyed your stay.

There were a few points I was confused about, breakfast has every style of egg available and the exchange of currency should not of been an issue. Clearly some communication breakdown for which I apologise.

We strive to deliver the highest level of service and customer care, we have clearly failed on this occasion and will use your feedback to assist us in re training certain areas to achieve consistency.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Terrific views, good service. My wife, 19 month old son and I stayed at the hotel for 7 nights during early August. It was our base for a ski holiday in the area. We upgraded to a suite overlooking the lake. The weather was great so we hung out on the balcony a lot. The two room suite was wonderful. Hotel staff were friendly and courteous. Since we had a rental car we did not mind the 10 minute drive to Queenstown and enjoyed not being in the heart of the City. The water taxi is rather expensive at about $40 roundtrip. The onsite restaurants are good, we had dinner at the steakhouse and the noodle house. The layout of the hotel takes a bit getting used to. The pool was fantastic, especially with our little guy. The only two minor complains is the hotel can use a true concierge. There is a bell desk but all inquires are referred to a third party company that has kiosk in the village called “Q book”. They are great for booking activities, for a fee of course, but it was hassle to have to walk over there to ask recommendation for restaurants, etc. A hotel of this caliber needs a true concierge with local knowledge for guests. The other minor grip is the hotels recycle policy should be passed along to guests. It appears housekeeping separates the rubbish from recycling when cleaning rooms since I saw big recycle bins in the garage but we were not sure so we took our plastic containers into town for proper disposal. If recycling is occurring a simple note could be given to guests at check in. This is a very inexpensive way to gain kudos with guests. We would definitely stay here again when visiting Queenstown, a great hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if possible, the extra room is worth it. The views are fantastic.

Dear JP2E

Thank you for your review.

We are addressing the process of Concierge and understand your comments.

I have shared your feedback with the team it is always nice to read the great things, we don't always get it right but we strive to improve.

Look forward to seeing you in the Village again soon

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just returned from the spectacular Hilton Queenstown property after spending 2 nights here for a long weekend. We booked at last minute for the three of us deciding to go down for a long weekend of skiing. We ate here when the hotel first opened and were so impressed by its outlook that we decided to give it a try this time. The hotel itself is beautiful! Truly a 5 star hotel. Everything felt brand new and of premium quality. The room was impressive! We paid $320 per night and felt we got a top notch room. It was so spacious especially the bathroom which I loved. The beds were also brilliant and so comfortable we felt so relaxed after our trip. But the most amazing part of the room was the fireplace which was lovely after a long days ski. The pools were also a highlight of our trip. That spa pool was a dream. We also had the best lamb shanks we have ever had at the stacks pub. This hotel has the best part of the lake view in Queenstown in our opinion, it is located on the other side of the lake from town. This is both a good and bad thing. Great in the sense that this is the best part of the lake and there is a nice ambience at night time. The only bad thing we encountered on our trip was that we felt it was very hard to get up the mountain and into town. We did not have a rental car which was a pain although it shouldn't really need to be because we never need one when we stay in Queenstown. There is only one bus per day going up the mountains so if you miss that (like we did), you end up on 3 separate buses to go up the mountain. Lucky for us it all worked fine, but after a days skiing its not ideal to have to shift buses multiple times. Also, getting into town is hard. There should either be a hotel shuttle which goes into town or taxis which don't cost $55 each way. Also, the taxi fare from the airport to the hotel was $29 which we found to be an absolute rip off but thats not the hotels fault. However we loved the water taxi. It was so much fun, reasonably priced and it goes so fast, would definitely recommend doing that. Only thing is that is doesn't run frequently enough, only every 2 hours from 12.30 and last ones at 9. So overall there are definitely improvements needed with the transport situation. However looking at the accommodation itself I was extremely impressed. Probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. If they were to sort the transport out, I would be back in a flash. Not sure If I would stay again until they do something about that, skiing is the only reason why we go to Queenstown so it is pretty important the hotel is serviced for that. Overall, a 5 star hotel with not great transport options which is the sole reason I rate this a 4. Would recommend this hotel to all, as long as they have cars. Also, would recommend joining the Hilton program. We earned a heap of points on our trip through spending we would normally do at the hotel anyway.

1  Thank Cha47A

Dear Cha47A

Thank you for a great review and for your feedback regarding transport.

From October we will be trialling a complimentary shuttle service into town. This will be a scheduled service that will support the other transport options available.

Come a visit in the summer, it would be great to meet you and see if the shuttle makes the whole stay a 5

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We parked up here for 3 nights, whilst focussing on getting little ones up on skis. Was a haven to return to each afternoon, flop into the spa, kids loved the pool, and then gather our thoughts looking out to the lake view, spectacular. Then onto one of 3 or 4 restaurant choices, and a real bonus that the kids ate free with us. Thanks Hilton & Queenstown, it was simply fantastic.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear noodle2

Thank you for a great review. I was really pleased that you mentioned the children eat free policy we have, it's a real winner when on holiday and helps keep those costs down.

Come down and see us in the summer, you’ll have a ball, its great

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Excellent hotel and very friendly and helpful staff. Great location, quiet and peaceful. Ideal for a relaxing break away. Rooms were clean and spatious. We especially liked the cosy fire, nice touch. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Anette B

Great feedback, thank you. I agree it’s a great place for a relaxing break.

Come and stay in the summer, it’s amazing here

Reviewed 17 August 2013

When I booked online, I had made sure I was getting the apartment room. I had booked an apartment online but when I arrive I was given a hotel room without a kitchen (no apartment). After talking with reception,luckily one apartment was available, I was given the apartment room. Overall the hotel was good, the facilities was great, five star service. However, make sure u get lake view rooms. Secondly, better get apartment rooms so if you want to eat/drink or wash clothes, it's possible in the apartment rooms. Far from Queenstown town itself (if you don't have your car, it might be difficult to visit town centre). I had my rent a car so no issue for me. There is a shopping centre near airport called - Newworld shopping centre (prices are reasonable there) and can get many things. Their movie room wasn't working at the time we were staying. There are many other hotels with a better lake-view than hilton in queenstown and closer to town. In my earlier trip to queenstown, I have stayed in other side of a lake and the views are more astonishing and wonderful from that side.

Room Tip: There are other better lakeview hotels in queenstown
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TTalha

Thank you for taking the time to send a review on your visit. I was disappointed to hear your reservation was not correct on arrival. I have addressed this with the team to ensure the system reservations is accurate at all times.

I am in agreement that Queenstown has some great views, as for other hotels with better views, I am yet to find one, but I suppose I am biased!

I do appreciate the feedback, thanks again