“Could so easily be a 5* rating, but just misses out”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
London, United Kingdom
“Could so easily be a 5* rating, but just misses out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Firstly, I have to say this is probably one of the most relaxing, tranquil and scenic hotels I have ever stayed in. The location is wonderful, and the morning views from the room are quite exquisite. Rooms are wonderful (as an HHonors gold member we were kindly upgraded to a Lake Wakitipu suite), and the gas fireplaces are a lovely touch.

The hotel décor is fantastic and its warm, cosy and great for a winter getaway. I can imagine it would be just as nice in summer too.

Breakfast is amazing...I would put it right up there with some of the best I have had in my 10 years of extensive travelling. The views from the restaurant just add that extra touch too.

All in all, a wonderful hotel and a great stay......

However, there were just a few things that let this gem of a hotel down....Firstly, the business centre. My partner had an online exam to write whilst on our holiday. After checking and researching that the hotel had a 24 hour business centre, we made the decision not to cart a laptop half way round the world. However, upon entering the business centre (yes our room cards opened the door), we were met by a somewhat startled guest who told us that the business centre was off limits to other guests for the week because they had hired it out). So after checking with reception what alternatives were available to us, we were informed that the 2 computers next to reception could be used. Well, every night there was a function in the hotel lobby bar in excess of 100 guests...so eventually my girlfriend had to resort to writing the exam on her smart phone in our room.

There was a conference on in the hotel for the duration of our stay, and so many of the hotel passages and corridors were off limits to hotel guests. The hotel is a maze of passages and elevators as it is, so this didn't help in terms of getting to and from the room, lobby, gym, etc

The "magic button" on the phone is also a nice touch, but on some occasions doesn't always create any magic...and on one occasion I eventually had to go and fetch my own wine glasses from the bar.....

All that being said, it is a wonderful hotel....and I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind staying in Queenstown central itself. The location is 5 mins from the airport, Frankton, etc...and makes for very easy travel to Lake Hayes, Arrowtown, etc....

Will definitely be back

Room Tip: Without doubt, pay the extra, or ask very nicely - but make sure you get a lake facing room. It'...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Hilton H

Great name! thank you for the feedback.

I apologise for some of the shortfalls during your stay, irrespective of how busy we may be you should have a wonderful experience across the resort.

We will be working on areas to improve to ensure we achieve consistency and deliver great service.

Let me know when you are planning another trip, andrew.nisbet@hilton.com

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Caloundra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Ok this may be a little long but I think worth the read, if you want to plan yourself a good holiday to Queenstown.
So this is my second review on The Hilton Queenstown, on our latest stay, and a few incites on holidaying in Queenstown, considering my wife and I visit Queenstown 4 to 5 times a year.
Firstly this time we stayed in a Lake View Room at the Hilton Queenstown from August 4th to August 17th 2013, if you want pretty much the best view of the lake in Queenstown, then the Lake View Room is the one you want, unless you want to splurge then you have the Relaxation Room (Which is a Lake View Room with a Private Outdoor Spa), or the Wakatipu Suite (Which is Bigger).
Now I would suggest like us if you are planning on visiting this lovely town regularly (and who doesn’t want to visit Queenstown as much as possible) then I suggest you pick a Hotel with a rewards program like the Hilton offers, with is their "Hilton Honours Membership", and stick to it.
It doesn’t have to be the Hilton, Sofitel and others offer rewards programs also, but we chose the Hilton for a few reasons, a large 5 star chain, They have Hotels in all the cities we love to travel to, and they offer good rewards for the points you receive for stays.
The reason why I say this is we tried a few Hotels in Queenstown when we first started visiting Queenstown, but decided we like the Hilton best, and for the past few years we have only stayed at the Hilton Queenstown.
What this means is we now know most the staff, we know Andrew N, The General Manager, Annika, the House Keeping Manager, and Elizabeth, the Guest Relations Manager (who is amazing, and treats us like royalty :) ), and because we are loyal to the Hilton (and stay about 40 days a year at the Hilton), these people really go out of their way to make sure we get the room we want, and have the stay we so look forward to.
Don't get me wrong you don't have to stay 40 days a year like we do, for this type of treatment, but if you come back just once a year, and continue to stay at the Hilton, I know that these staff are eager to know you, your likes and dislikes, and they will bend over backwards to make you happy.
And as a example of how hard they will try, we were suppose to leave Queenstown, on Friday the 16th of August, but our Virgin plane broke down ( another not so happy story), which meant in the middle of New Zealand Winter Games week over 100 passengers were looking for last minute accommodation for that night, when every place including the Hilton was booked up, but going back to the loyalty thing, we walked into the Hilton tired and hungry (after sitting in a airport for 7 hours) Elizabeth, the Guest Relations Manager who we deal with at the Hilton (Did I mention she is amazing) found us a room, then had one of the managers escorted us personally to our room and then that manager went and made us a dinner reservation personally at the restaurant. (Whilst other passengers we meet on the flight, had to stay in backpackers)
THATS LOYALTY.
So to touch on a few other things:
Is the Hilton on the other side of the lake and a distance to far to walk from Queenstown?
Answer: Yes, there is a bus service which as others on here have touched on is pretty terrible, with change overs ect. that can be confusing, and there is a taxi boat service, which we have found in the past few years is now running less and less trips, and has become more expensive, you have to remember the taxi service is not owned by the Hilton and is a private company so they will only run trips they deem profitable.
It can be frustrating I must admit, my wife and I got caught ourselves one night when we hoped to catch the taxi boat back for their last run at 10 pm after some drinks, only to find they had cancelled the usually 10pm run in Winter, meaning the last night run was at 9pm.
Which meant a $40 cab ride back to the Hilton.
I do feel that the Hilton does need to invest in a small bus and offer their own transport to town from early morning to late at night and offer it free to guests, this would help a lot, as I notice a lot of negative comments on Tripadviser are about this subject.
In saying that I would suggest to anyone coming to Queenstown to hire a car, there are to many beautiful places like Wanaka, Cromwell (love the pick your own Cherry picking at Christmas) and Glenorchy for some truly picture perfect (and many movie set) scenery.
We have also noticed that that when the Hilton is full the restaurant and house keeping can get flustered, we have never had a problem getting through on the "Magic Button" but in saying that we have had to ring multiple times to get something (like to get Water each night being Gold Honours Members), also when busy we do find House keeping can miss stuff in the rooms like changing the sheets regularly when they need changing, if you stay for long periods like us, replacing the toilet paper, and sometimes the corridors can be a little grubby.
Also we do find the whole Hilton complex is kept quite Hot most the time, which can be a shock when you walk out into 3 degree temperatures.
And finally we use to really like the turn down service, which we were told on our August trip wasn't happening any more.
But these are all pretty small things that I have listed, as I know Andrew N, The General Manager reads all these comments.
In the end loyalty is everything, and I can tell you if you show loyalty to this Hilton it will be reciprocated, and that is priceless.

Steven Rowden

Room Tip: If you want pretty much the best view of the lake in Queenstown, then the Lake View Room is the one...
Stephen

Appreciate the feedback. My aim is to remove the little issues that crop and make the experience seamless.

I am trialling a scheduled shuttle service, complimentary, into town from October which will make a big difference.

See you soon

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Wonderful location across the bay, away from tourism of town. Great if you have a car and the regular afternoon/ evening water taxi's a more pleasant/unique way to travel to town. Hotel beautiful, staff friendly. Suits couples and families.

Dear Andrew F

Thanks for the great feedback. Come over and see us in the summer, it's amazing

San Diego, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

While visiting Queenstown we decided to stay at the Hilton for its gorgeous location, spa and points. It is the most beautiful Hilton property I have seen, just stunning. The front desk staff was helpful 1/2 of the time. There were 2 people that seemed to rotate working there. 1 was amazing and the other was not at all helpful. We waited for the helpful New Zealander to be working and she was amazing. The spa was first class. My husband and I both had massages and there were wonderful and easy to schedule. On our anniversary, we made reservations at the on-site restaurant which is supposed to be one of the tops in Queenstown. We had a very disappointing experience. When we arrived the manager was running around out of breath and told us we just needed to have a seat at the bar and he would get to us when he could! After about 15 minutes (after our reservation time) we were finally seated. he then came to the table to apologize and said another restaurant in town had caught fire and they were accommodating as many of those reservations as they could. I was sympathetic to the other people however we were staying on property and had a reservation. We should have taken priority. No one ever acknowledged our anniversary and did not have a lake view table as requested. Our waiter was nice and the food was ok however for a special occasion in the future, I would definitely go somewhere else. The concierge and valet team were tops! They were a wonderful and always a pleasant start to our day. Overall it was a wonderful experience however the front desk and the restaurant could use some training in customer service.,

Room Tip: lake view is gorgeous!
1 Thank Philip W
Dear PhilipW

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed aspects of your stay and disappointed that some areas had let us down. We have discussed your feedback to ensure we achieve consistency across the resort and deliver exceptional experiences.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We absolutely loved our stay from them moment we arrived the staff were amazing, a young lady by the name of Elizabeth took us to our room she explained absolutely every thing to us on the way to the room, where to eat, catch the bus where to park, get the water taxi every thing. when we arrived at the room she took us though every thing and how to use any thing that was in the room. I have never ever came across this any where i have stayed in the world a person who has so much knowledge and passion about there job she knew everything about anything in your hotel. Any time we walked past a staff member no matter what they were doing or what there job was they said hello to us which is also unheard of any were you travel. We absolutely loved stacks pub the food was amazing the bar stuff were also extremely friendly we tipped them every time because we were extremely satisfied with there service. we were very happy that there was free Wi Fi in the room we used it every day to book all the activities that we were doing whilst we were there , every review we read said that you had to pay so were extremely happy when the staff told us it was free. Over all we had an amazing stay i have already told every one i know to stay there if they ever go to Queenstown we will be definitely staying with you next snow season. Thank you again for an amazing experience look forward to staying with you again in the near future.

1 Thank Brent P
Dear Brent P

Great review, thank you.

I have shared your feedback with the team, they loved it and I was so pleased to hear Elizabeth delivered great service, she is a real asset to the team

Let me know when you are coming back, andrew.nisbet@hilton.com

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Went up to Queenstown for a 4 day skiing trip with the kids (1 and 3) and chose Hilton primarily for its location on the lake close to the skiing area(s) as well as it being one of the few hotels allowing 2 small children to share a room as opposed to having to book 2 rooms. Great experience; excellent room with beautiful views over the lake, excellent amenities and very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast and dinner was included in the rate (since we did not want to go out with young kids at night) and offered plenty choice and variety for each night, quality was excellent. The only problems we encountered were a full car park twice and no option to park close by (had to drop off the family and park elsewhere twice) and a broken lamp that didn't get fixed. I'll happily come back next time!

Dear Remco V

Thanks for the review. It is always nice to read how much customers enjoy the resort. Car parking at times can be an issue, we are looking at various options to improve.

Look out for some great deals coming up until December and then in the Autumn, great value

Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

As a HH Diamond, we were upgraded to the King Suite on the 2nd floor (which we appreciated) which was very comfortable, well-sized 52 square metres, with a large balcony overlooking Waikatipu lake and surround mountains - and across the lake was the fringe of Queenstown centre.

Check-in was a breeze as there wasn't any guests at the reception desk. Staff who checked me in serviced with a smile - which was certainly nice and expected of a 5-star hotel.

The King Suite on Level 2 was homely, with a gas-powered fire place below the TV and a dedicated living room. Toilet was very well sized, with separate bath and shower and 2 vanity tops. A large balcony augmented the room - as one could stand at the balcony and enjoy the views while sipping some drinks. Outdoor lounge suite was provided so that one may sit and enjoy a meal also. Bedding was standard Hilton - soft and comfy beds with fluffy pillows. There was also a second TV in the bedroom.

Hotel facilities included a fitness room, heated pool (expect room temperature waters not freezing temp), hot tub (akin to a spa), steam room and sauna. The steam room and sauna were dedicated for males and females as these were located inside the changing rooms. The hot tub was beside the lap pool - we were unsure if there were to be bubbles like a spa or not. There were no buttons to press - so perhaps it was literally a hot tub. Steam room and sauna were both welcoming and well maintained.

Breakfast at Waikatipu Grill was excellent - see my other review for Waikatipu Grill and also my stay at the Hilton Kawarau Village. F&B Manager (breakfast) James N. made our day each of the 4 days we were there. He was conversational yet working the tables, smooth and remembered addressed me by name each morning - which definitely made me feel worthwhile being a HH Diamond! He even remembered our preference for coffee/tea. Service from waiting staff during breakfast was excellent - though it takes some 5-10 minutes for freshly ordered coffee and tea to arrive, likely due to the high orders. On this note, the Grill could have 2 baristas for breakfast to speed up the coffee/tea orders.

Dinner at Waikatipu Grill was 5-star, top-notch - and definitely value for money (compared with the previous night where we dined at Novotel Queenstown since we were in the city centre - and for that restaurant I gave 2-star when compared to Hilton). For dinner at Hilton, we chose one of the specials - crispy pork belly with 1 side and 1 sauce (selected from a range of sides and sauces). Even the fish and chips for kids meal was top-notch and value for money ($15). Dessert was heavenly as we chose 3 choices of ice-cream/sorbet with nibbles/pop-corn, etc. well plated. Dinner at Waikatipu Grill is a must-try. However whilst the food and waiting service was excellent - the floor manager (for dinner) was indifferent and in contrast with the F&B Manager for breakfast, spoke only to selective groups of people.

Concierge was knowledgeable was helpful. Worth speaking to if you need some ideas on skiing and which mountains to go to.

Now for the electricity blackout and fire alarm, both of which were not anticipated - but not managed well by the hotel staff (post event) either. First, we experienced an electricity blackout during the day time on our second day. Power was restored at intervals with full power restored around some 2 hours after the initial power trip. No announcement was made to inform guests - and like us, guests were roaming around asking for "what has happened". MAGIC - the hotel's central communications hub - could not give us an ETA for when power will be restored when the phones were up and running (yes, the power trip cut-off the phone service too). No compensation, financially or in-kind, was made for having suffered the blackout for some 2 hours.

Now for the 4.15 am fire alarm - this happened on the Sunday morning. We were awoken by an emergency alarm and automated message over the hotel's broadcast system to evacuate the building. Of course at 4.15 am we and other guests were standing at the evacuation area in the freezing cold. The alarm and automated message continued until the firemen completed their inspections (which we later fond out was triggered in the Waikatipu Grill). The alarm ceased at around 4.50 am - meaning that we (and other guests) were standing in the cold for some 35 mins - but there wasn't a public announcement giving the all clear to return to rooms. We and other guests took the stoppage of alarm as the cue to return to our rooms. Such lack of public announcement / broadcasting system is a failure in evacuation (and post-evacuation) procedures, especially for a 5-star hotel that prides itself on being a family resort. Again, no compensation, financially or in-kind was made for the inconvenience. To add fuel-to-fire, the hotel did not provide any extension to standard check-out time the next day - see comment below.

Standard check-out time was 12 noon. Even as HH Diamond we were not given any extended check out time (even though I requested for a mere 30 min extension to 12.30 pm) as we were informed the hotel was at high occupancy. Though I wasn't too fussed, I expected Hilton to be amenable to a short 30-min check-out extension for HH Diamond, even if not, it would be kind to provide extended check-out especially since all guests were awoken at 4.15 am earlier in the morning, and stood in the cold for some 35 minutes due to the fire alarm and evacuation.

Check-out was slower than check-in due to a couple of guests in the queue when I arrived, albeit waiting time was some 7 mins only. Once at the counter, paperwork was processed swiftly and efficiently.

Overall, the hotel can improve its customer services and communications to guests (especially for emergencies such as the power black-out and fire alarm) - and I concur with so many of the other comments provided by trip advisor members here. Otherwise based solely on the room, food at Waikatipu Grill and facilities - I would definitely be back again!

Room Tip: Choose a relaxation suite if you want an en-suite spa overlooking the lake and mountains - these are...
1 Thank ProfVau
Dear ProfVau

Thank you for a balanced response to your recent stay.

On the whole I was pleased to read how you had enjoyed your stay and it was nice to read how much James had made an impression on you.

Please accept my apologies, firstly for the inconvenience of the power cut and the fire alarm and secondly for the way in which we dealt with the communication to customers.

I will be sharing your feedback at our operations meeting to ensure we improve in the areas that make such a difference to the overall stay gusts have.

Again apologies for the shortfall and if you are planning a trip to Queenstown please contact me so I can ensure we deliver on expectations, andrew.nisbet@hilton.com