“Beautiful hotel”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 4 June 2014

What a lovely stay we had at the Hilton Queenstown, everything was perfect. We arrived early but had no hassle being checked in early, and we got upgraded to a Lake View room as it was my birthday, lucky! The beds were super comfortable, gorgeous views of the lake, amazing bathroom, lovely having a fireplace to take the chill out of the air and it felt very private. We made use of the free shuttle every day, we had no hassle getting a seat but definitely book far in advance during peak hours as the shuttle only seats 10. It would have been a struggle/very expensive getting into town every day if the shuttle was not available as we did not have a car. The pool and spa are great - had it to ourselves most of the time! It is a $20 taxi ride away even though it is practically visible from the airport - would be nice if they added an airport shuttle too. Great variety of restaurants and facilities on site. We will definitely be staying again - pure luxury.

Room Tip: Get a lake view if you can.
1  Thank budxo
There are newer reviews for Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Maybe the best value for money for a hotel in my life. The room was simply incredible, with a stunning view on the lake and mountains, a fireplace in the (huge) room, an amazing bed, a fantastic and huge bathroom with a bathtub with a view on the lake and a huge shower. Since it is a bit far from central Queenstown, it is naturally very quiet. The swimming pool is simply gorgeous, you really feel privileged! And the breakfast buffet was excellent, very very comprehensive! The only thing that could be improved would be on the service: no one showed us our room upon arrival, and since the hotel is huge and quite a labyrinth, we almost got lost at first! And the personnel could be a bit warmer. Except for this, congrats, we loved it!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My room was very comfortable, the food was excellent and and wide range of wines. The staff were very helpful but did not invade your space. I enjoyed my experience at the hotel and if I return to Queenstown I would stay there again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The lake side rooms are beautiful with a glorious view of Queenstown. The king size bed is the most comfortable nights sleep you could imagine and the bathroom is decadent. Its a place you go to spoil yourself. The spa treatment and restaurant are just the perfect end to the day

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Queenstown was really Plan B after the Bluff Oyster Festival was cancelled due to bad weather, so we decided to salvage whatever that was left from our holiday and made the 2 hour drive from Invercargill. Some rain and only a possibility of snow was forecasted for Queenstown. I decided on Hilton because of the word "Resort & Spa" suggesting there were at least some activities we could take refuge from the weather. Also, I happened to have my Hilton Honours number with me which made reservations over the phone very easy.

First impressions on the resort were very good as we drove past the various buildings leading up to the front desk. This was further reinforced by the pleasant smell we were greeted with when we entered the hallway from the bottom covered carpark.

The rooms were also very well appointed and tastefully decorated and had a balcony with jawdropping lakefront views. The 2 bedroom was a twin and a double. The residence had TV with Sky (PaidTV), lounge with gas fireplace, kitchen and dining. It is also equipped with wash and dryer which turned out to be handy. Magazines on the table is always a good indication of a luxury resort.

We then checked out the pool which was nice enough to make us drive to Billabong in town just to buy some swimwear. The changing rooms are also well appointed with showers, toilet and a steam room + sauna. I thought the pool seemed a little cold temperature wise and would be a bit of a shock if you got in immediately from the hot spa. But the area was very tastefully decorated.

I know many here complain about the cost of water taxis and the infrequent free shuttle. Although we had a car, we wanted to take the water taxi just for the experience of the ride via a lake, but our trip was just too short.

There is also a theatre which screens at 3pm and 8:30pm daily. I wanted to just have a look but it was not in use and I could not access it without advance booking.

The only dining I got to try was Stacks which was OK. Lunch for 3 was about $100. An ice cream at the snack shop was $6.50. The prices were not cheap as many have already pointed out, but Queenstown as a whole, is not a cheap place for a holiday, so I did not think it was too bad. The noodle place and Wakatipu Grill was closed during my stay otherwise I would have tried them too. So we drove to town and thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Captians Restaurant serving sensible portions.

Breakfast cost $40 for Continental and only an extra $10 to add a cooked breakfast. We had one $50 cooked option delivered to our room which was more than adequate for the 3 of us to share. The breakfast took a long time to be delivered and no one was answering the phone when we placed the order. When breakfast finally arrived we found out we were snowed in which also prevented some staff getting to work. We could not leave the property until about midday which meant missing our flight from Dunedin that day. The concierge was very helpful helping me to contact AVIS for snow chains which unfortunately was not possible on the Holden SV6 I rented. At the end I gave up trying to make that flight and rescheduled to depart later. We can't think of a better place to be stranded than the Hilton Queenstown.

I selfishly wanted to give this place 1 star so as to improve the probability of me getting a room at short notice when I return the next time, just in case. But decided to give you the 5 star the property and the staff deserved.

Here are some points for improvement that were minor and did little to impact my rating;
- Filters of the Dryer at the Residences needs a good vacuum and clean once in a while, there was fluff everywhere when we used it.
- I went outside in the snow on Level 2 (pictured) but could not get back in and the doors at the bottom (leading to the conference rooms) was also locked. Brrr.... fortunately someone from the pool saw me and let me in.
- Better signage. From the road, I programmed on the GPS, 79 Peninsula Rd and it took me right past the hotel. I recommend another sign about 50 - 100 metres before the entrance.
- From Level 1 of Residences after exiting carpark, there are signs pointing towards the Pool/Gym but if you follow the signs it leads to a deadend. There should be more signs pointing to the link to the main building on Level 2.
- Not too happy about the early check in fee, I arrived at about 12:30pm, (check-in 3pm), this is the first time I had to pay one.
- The TV has a setting to turn on/off without the chime. We could not access this setting. This is useful for someone to turn the TV on/off without possible waking others who are already asleep.

When I returned to work, I saw a copy of the National Business Review on my desk that headlined that the Hilton Queenstown had been sold to the Chinese. I hope this does not impact the resort in the future as I have stayed in some shockingly poor Chinese "5 star" hotels.

Room Tip: All rooms at Residence have a lake view. Next time I must remember to stock up the fridge with drink...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank poopbunny
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and partner stayed in one of the Hilton's relaxation rooms. It was one of the best hotel stays we've both experienced. Elegant, cosy and quiet with stunning views over Lake Wakatipu, the room was perfect. The only suggestion I have would be that there is some shelter above the hot tub, as due to the rain and snow, we didn't get the chance to use it, which was a shame. The property itself is located near the airport, a short drive from Queenstown, which we found ideal - away from the potential noise of the town, but accessible enough for the use of amenities. There is also a supermarket handy at the nearby Remarkables shopping centre if needed. Overall a wonderful, relaxing stay, and we would not hesitate to return. Thank you Hilton Queenstown.

Room Tip: The relaxation room for stunning views, and a private hot tub.
1  Thank AM1980_12
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Relaxing, beautiful location, away from the town centre but still within accessibility. All facilities are fantastic with plenty of options of things to do. Love the Pool, the bath, the king size bed.
Only thing missing is a little kitchenette in our room, enough to make a snack.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends