“Wonderful hotel, but got "nickeled and dimed"...”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights. We usually stay at Marriott hotels and it's been a while since we've stayed at a Hilton. The hotel was very clean, the service was friendly and the food in the restaurant was good. The view from our room (of the lake) was also very nice. Now for the negatives: I hate checking into a nice hotel and then being "nickeled and dimed" for the small stuff that you would expect to be included when paying this kind of money for a room. I can't remember the last time I checked into a hotel and had to pay for WiFi in the room. The Hilton will charge you $15 per day for WiFi access - I remember when hotels used to do this about 10 years ago, but it's ridiculous to charge for it these days. WiFi is simply expected now - don't charge your guests!!! I also am used to having at least 1 bottle of water included free of charge - Hilton will charge you $6.50 for a bottle of water. Again, these are little things, but Hilton needs to get with the program on this stuff - this is why I stick with Marriott!

Room Tip: Get a room with a vew of the lake if possible - the views in Queenstown are stunning!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kmnmb

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hilton Residences a couple weeks back. Upon arrival it wasn't very clear where to park or check in. There are a few different buildings to choose from. We ended up parking in the underground parking which turned out to be just down the hall from our residence. Our booking was under my girlfriends name, so we asked if we could use my Gold Status to get free wi-fi in our room. She talked to her manager for one second and we were simply told "no". I really thought something could have been done to make this happen, but it guess not. I feel like I'm getting ripped off paying $15 for wifi for one day.

Our room was very nice. The kitchen had everything we needed for five nights. Our bathroom even had a washer and dryer. The shower didn't have anywhere to put soap and shampoo so we just had to use the floor, which I found to be odd. The gas fireplace was a nice touch. Plenty of tv station to chose from. We mostly chose to go to the supermarket and make our own meals as room service and on site restaurants were most overpriced, no surprise there. Our room was ground level and our back door opened up right to the lake with great views of the hills and mountains behind Queenstown. The drive to Queenstown is very short, ten minutes tops. There is a water taxi that leaves from the hotel if you are willing to pay $10 per person one-way ($40 round trip). Needless to say we drove to town each time.

I was pleased overall with our stay. One other thing is that we relieved calls from the front desk asking about our plans, reminding us of the restaurants and room service. I don't like being hassled and we received several calls one night.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank VeggieScramble
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We love staying at the hilton Queenstown and thought we would try out the residences . Had a one bedroom apartment with all modern conveniences including under floor heating in the bathroom- heavenly! Also had a washing machine and dryer which is extremely important when travelling with kids (in my opinion). Everything was perfect but the service. It's the little things - they had the booking for three but everything in the apartment was for two. From towels to crockery and cutlery. It was very annoying. Staff do not have any attention to detail. Asked for ski gear to be loaded into car. Got to town and realised that one ski was missing. Another 20min drive back and then we missed the classes in the morning as we got late to the mountain. So stay but be a bit more vigilant and aware as unlike other places; staff do not have the same attention to the little things which can cause a lot of inconvenience. We had not been back for two years and I found that service standards had definitely slipped. Staff are very nice but their training and awareness is not there. So love the place but not the service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Psha24
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Unfortunately Myself & adult daughter stayed only one night at the Queenstown Hilton, on the last weekend of the winter festival. I say unfortunately as it was far too short a visit.
Normally we stay near the centre of Queenstown so as not to miss out on the action & the Hilton felt a little too remote from what we had heard. How wrong, yes a little difficult if you don’t have a car (we didn’t) but the $10 water taxi ride into the centre of Queenstown is a great, regular and convenient way to get back & forth. There is also a regular free shuttle service from the Hotel but it is a small vehicle so numbers of passengers are limited and on a first come first served basis.
To be honest we didn’t feel the need to leave the Kawarau village complex. There is a great pub that has really friendly staff & great food (take away also available) a lovely delicatessen & of course the Hilton restaurants. Yes they are all a touch pricey but that’s what I expect when staying at the Hilton Hotels.
Our Deluxe twin room was beautiful, very well appointed, warm, clean & very comfortable sitting area and beds. The gas fire gave it a further feeling of comfort & luxury. The lake view from our room and balcony was breath taking. We both felt it was excellent value for money.
Although we only stayed one night we had almost two days there as the checkout time was much later than other Queenstown hotels. This afforded us the time to check out and use some of the facilities.
The small pool & spa are lovely (unfortunately very noisy due to a bunch of unruly poorly supervised children). The shower areas, sauna & steam room were first class. Although we didn’t have time this visit for a spa treatment the prices looked very reasonable by NZ standards.
There are several gorgeous walking tracks in the area, we only had time to do one but will definitely hire a bike from the onsite hire shop next time we visit.
My only minor criticisms are: the taxi fare from the hotel to the airport about 5-8 minutes away is ridiculous at $22.00 (not the Hiltons fault) and we felt a little exposed at times in our room as the water taxi jetty was directly in front and passengers getting off could look directly into our room, but perhaps having the stunning lake view was worth it?
All in all, wonderful efficient, helpful & friendly staff, lovely hotel and amazing setting, a truly relaxing place away from the hustle and bustle of Queenstown. Will I go back…….absolutely, definitely yes…….can’t wait. Thank you Hilton staff.

Room Tip: Well worth having a lake view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lesley094
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights, the staff were great and half of the room was great. However when we entered the bathroom there was a sewage smell. At first I thought the toilet wasn't very clean, but it turned out the drain in the floor was providing the bad smell. The disappointing part was we asked them 4 times to sort it and every time the solution only lasted a matter of hours, no doubt partly by the air fresher they kept spraying in the room. Also the not so magic button on the phone was only picked up once for us, I had to keep walking to the front desk. Otherwise we would return in the future as we usually enjoy the Hilton hotels and I wouldn't expect this drain to be a common problem. The property was beautiful on the lake and everything was very clean and tidy. Valet was prompt and like I said earlier the staff were great and very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve G
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Queenstown Hilton is an enjoyable place to stay when your trying to relax. Its a little bit out of the hustle and bustle of Queenstown Village, but the water taxi makes for a quick connection if you want to be in the action. We had a very comfortable room with nice warm fire place and spectacular alpine and lake views. Queenstown could easily be the most beautiful place on earth!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My partner and I spent 4 nights in this beautiful hotel.The room was very modern,very lovely and relaxing view .The restaurant had the best pizza ever,the other meals were well worth the money.Over all best hotel I've stayed at.The bed was so comfortable had the best sleep ever.Very nice view from our room over seeing the lake,lovely at night.
April 2013