“Superb location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #25 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This medium size hotel complex is situated in a beautiful lakeside location outside Queenstown. A boat taxi from the jetty or five minute car ride takes you to the busy town. If you want quiet and tranquil surroundings this place was perfect. There's a choice of places to eat from a quick reasonably-priced deli meal, or a modern Asian-style cafe, to an award winning fine dining restaurant. We only stayed two nights and didn't have time to try all the amenities but thoroughly enjoyed the free de-luxe cinema on site. The rooms were small but modern and nicely furnished. There was some confusion at first in finding the Kawarau entrance since there are two hotels on site with the Hilton being the more luxurious - we advise you to check out the on-line map first. We had a good deal by paying ahead direct to the hotel and shall certainly stay there again. It is the most modern and quiet hotel we've experienced in Queentstown.

Room Tip: "mountain view" rooms at the back are quiet and good value.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ursula901
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear Ursula901

It was lovely to hear you enjoyed yourself during your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel and thank you for sharing your feedback.

We have now received our resource consent to allow signage within the village so this will make it easier for guests to find their way around.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to allow you to sample the remaining amenities.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in December and absolutely loved it. The hotel is outside of Queenstown which was fine as we had a car. The staff were so eager to help, from check-in to the cleaners they couldn't do enough to help.

The room is compact, but very well designed. The bedroom was great as at night it was totally dark and the bed was very comfortable. There isn't much cupboard space but just ask for more coat hangers. The kitchen has everything that I needed to cook breakfast and a few basic meals - helpful when travelling with kids. The room was also very clean.

I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear BAB88

Thank you for placing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed yourselves and found our team members very helpful.
I am pleased to see you would be happy to stay again and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Kawarau and it was most impressive.Only slight downfall was that there was nowhere to store small garments.( just left them in our suitcase). Ans dont forget to take your phone adapter as I didnt and their one was difficult to book! Beautiful setting, lovely rooms and well fitted en suite. And the weather was warm and sunny. Take the water taxi into Queenstown itself and organise a wine tour out to Gibbeston Valley.Or drive out, only about half an hour if that. All three of us had a lovely time.

Room Tip: one with a clear view of the lake.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Dear OrkneygirlOratia

Thank you for placing your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

I was so pleased to see you had a lovely time and were able to experience the local vineyards.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

After reading the online description "our deluxe rooms have stunning LAKE VIEWS and feature impressive guest amenities", I booked four nights in a deluxe room.
The website claim is misleading as the only view of the lake in our room was when we were standing near the window which was above my waist height. There was no view whatsoever when seated in the room.
I immediately wrote a note to the hotel manager and delivered this to the front desk reception.
However, I received no response at all from the manager or anyone else.
I was between a rock and a hard place as I had booked and paid in advance. Otherwise, I would have checked out on priniciple based on the misleading deluxe hotel room description.
Also, the hotel bed sheets remained unchanged for four nights and servicing of the room was as late as 7pm on some nights.
A four-star hotel - I think not.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear P Downey

Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on trip advisor regarding your recent stay in the Kawarau Hotel.
Firstly I apologise for the delay in response. I have been on annual leave and we do not have a contact address or number for you.
I am very sorry you were disappointed with your room. We are currently reviewing rooms and their online descriptions.
Thank you also for mentioning your housekeeping issues. It is housekeeping policy to change sheets every third day so it appears they failed to complete this with your room and I do apologise.
It is important for guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and we are continuing to train our team members to ensure we deliver consistency as our prime goal.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Queenstown.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

Lovely hotel, and staff were very accommodating, nothing was a hassle. Only stayed one night (1st of Jan) but could have stayed longer. Away from the hustle and bustle of QT (new years) .... very relaxing.
Had the relax room - with the outside spa. Lovely room with fireplace, and great views. Own deck etc. Bathroom was stunning, and the kingsize bed amazing.
The only comment would be this is something I would only go in at night (when it's dark) as you are at the front of the hotel facing the lake, and people walk by and can see you in the hot tub.

Room Tip: I'd choose a room on the lakefront as we did - the relax room with it's own outside spa pool...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank euro79
Marlene P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear euro79

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay which was at the Hilton Queenstown - situated beside the Kawarau Hotel.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed yourself. I understand your concern relating to using the hot tub and being in view of walkers on the track. We currently have sail shades to put in place and the vegetation will soon grow so this will not be an issue.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Yes yes yes....so the rooms may be small, I found it more than adequate and had everything & more that we required. The staff were very professional and were extremely helpful always offering to assist in every way. The rooms exceptional and although we spent a few days at an apartment in town we wanted to get away where everything was at hand and the KH certainly exceeded our expectations. Close to the airport, Remarkables Shopping Centre, lovely lake walk/run/bike track, water taxi to town was cheap and fun.....the only downside which does not directly affect the KH was the very poor service at the Stacks Pub. We had to wait over an hour for our mains, of which one was sent back, the waiter was dropping chips left right and centre off my plate as he walked around the next table to deliver their long awaited meals. They complained rather loudly and he was in a tizz. They did offer free desserts but to get your meals at 9.35pm was not on. Try the other restaurants.

All in all we are going to book here again and I shall tell my clients to stay here as well, fantastic at $127 per night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Isabel Mckay

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
I was delighted to see you enjoyed yourself and found the rooms and location to your liking.

I do apologise for the poor service you encountered at Stacks Pub. This is not acceptable and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Extra training will be given to team members to ensure this does not happen again.

Your satisfaction is very important to us and we strive to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

It is wonderful to hear you will be back again and I look forward to ensuring it is a memorable experience.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Ate dinner with 7friends at their top class restaurant! Took a water taxi to and fro from Queenstown harbor!! Great fun!! Expensive place but worth every dollar!!

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear Ballard55

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent dining experience at the Hilton Queenstown.

I am delighted you enjoyed yourself.
Thank you again and hope you return to the village and experience some more of the many facilities available.