“Great hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great hotel, big room with separate bedroom even though it was a bit dark. Everything you could want in kitchen area. Location a bit out of way, and a lot of steps to get down to jetty . I didn't see wheelchair access ,but I am sure it must be there, I did see two elderly ladies struggling up steps!!!!!. Would go back .

Room Tip: If you can afford a lake view room, book it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Peterx877

Great review, thank you.

Definitely wheelchair access to the lake front, thanks for pointing it out

Andrew

Write a ReviewReviews (1,332)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Great Hotel and great facilities loved the tranquill area Staff very friendly Stacks bar was superb enjoyed every moment of our stay here. will be back another time. southern discoveries boat trip was awesome thanks captain Turgot we enjoyed

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kiwifernnz

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed the stay and that you will be coming back.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This place is part of the Hilton complex and is managed by the Hilton Hotels. We have stayed at the Hilton and here a couple of times. Kawarau Hotel is cheaper, and the rooms are clean and well presented. There is free car parking underground, but it's on a first come first serve basis. On our arrival on this occasion, our room wasn't yet clean, and took an hour after checkin time to be available, which wasn't great! Still, there is something nicer about the Hilton hotels, and if you want to splash out or treat yourself, head there instead!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear rscoro

Thank you for a nice review. It is great to read you have stayed before and enjoy the Hilton hotel. I agree it is nice to pay a little extra and get a different experience.

Come back soon

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Hotel for Christmas last year and it was awesome. The room was beautiful, spacious, modern, equipped and with an amazing view. The stuff is friendly, the restaurants are very good and everything is there to make you happy. The only bad thing about the Hilton is the location. It has an awesome lake side view and the whole place is quiet but unfortunately is a little bit far away from Queenstown. It would have been nicer if it was closer and it would have certainly got the 10 for me, but instead it only got a 9.5 :D. I would certainly come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Masi2014

Thanks for a great review. Sorry about the hotel being too far away from Queenstown for you. We introduced a complimentary shuttle service for guests to try and ease the distance.

Come back and try again

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel staff were not only accommodating and helpful, but easy to talk with. The room was luxurious and comfortable with a beautiful view - which is what one would expect if staying in Queenstown!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Samantha O

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, in particular the nice comments relating to our team.

Come back and see us again

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Overall I was not happy with my stay, and I would not recommend the hotel for the following reasons:

- The room was nice and clean, and new, but it was small, especially considering we upgraded to a deluxe room.

- The fact that everything cost extra lent the hotel the feel of budget hotel - the easyJet of the hotel world. However, the price was certainly not budget. You can't have it both ways!

- Charging guests to use the swimming pool is absolutely ridiculous.

- Charging for internet is just such a bad idea and leaves a bad taste in guests' mouths. It makes them look old fashioned.

- Food was ridiculously expensive! Continental breakfast was so outrageously expensive - we just drove downtown and had an enormous, delicious breakfast for less than you charge for continental breakfast. Let's not even talk about other items on the room service menu.

- The straw that broke the camel's back was charging extortionate rates for local phone calls. Nowhere did I read that it would cost me $20 to make 3 local calls of less than 1 minute. Maybe it was in the smallprint, but just because you have something written down, it doesn't make it OK. I complained to the person on front desk, and they just said it was Hilton's rules.

It's a nice place, the room was clean, and the location was good, but I would definitely not stay there again. The hotel grounds felt like a ghost town - I assume this is because no one spends anytime in the hotel for the reasons above. We wanted to have a drink in the bar on our last night, but we just couldn't face the price of the cocktails (sure to be $20), and sitting in a deserted bar devoid of all atmosphere!

I'm not the kind of person to complain really, but charging for pool, internet, expensive breakfasts, and local calls just really pissed me off, as I'm sure it will other guests.

Dear DouglasHauser

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you felt we over charging for certain items.

The swimming Pool is not part of the Kawarau Hotel and the rate differences between the Hilton and the Kawarau reflect the added benefit of staying at the Hilton.

We charge $10 per day for the internet, which we believe to be comparable with other hotels, some charge more and some charge less and some people believe it should be free. There is a possibility that one day it will be free to guests, unfortunately it will never be free to hotels and therefore the cost will be wrapped up in the price of a room.

I agree you can get a big breakfast in town that is cheaper than ours, I have tried them and I believe our quality far outweighs any breakfast offering in Queenstown plus the trip into to town.

The phone call charges should be clearly displayed by the phone, I will check that all rooms have this displayed to ensure we do not mislead any customers.

Rest assured we take all feedback seriously as we strive to improve the service we offer to our guests.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I wanted somewhere to escape from the queenstown madness as I am a local, the location is perfect and quiet, I surprised my partner with the booking, she was of course happy. Easy check-in/out, great options for dinner. Could not fault the experience.

Dear Allan B