“Nice but not as nice as other Hilton's” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #27 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland New Zealand
“Nice but not as nice as other Hilton's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Beautiful location but 15 mis from town. Plenty of restaurants on site and a water taxi and shuttle to take you to town. Stayed at residences, great views but living area crammed. We had to relocate dining table and lounge be so we could move around apartment. Felt it was quite expensive for room quality and size.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent 10 nights at Kawarau to back up from the 5 nights we spent the previous year. It hasn’t altered much which is a good thing. Unfortunately it is just a little too far from Queenstown proper and let down by that and the associated eateries.

The rooms are functional, clean, retain their warmth and are relatively quiet. Just a normal hotel room really, with very good beds by the way. The on-site staff are first class and the convenience of a booking office makes trips and shuttles to the slopes an easy affair. Morning pick-ups and afternoon drop offs make the whole day easy. And on-site equipment storage only adds to the convenience. The breakfasts at the Hilton proper are exceptional. So far so good.

Only when it becomes repetitive to have to drive 20 minutes to get to Queenstown does it become a little tiresome. The on-site restaurants are fairly overpriced and under serviced. The Asian fusion restaurant has a “foodhall” feel and the pub is underwhelming. None of this is the hotels fault. It is just that its location means that every meal involves driving and planning.

We’ll go back to Queenstown again next year for the season, but we won’t be staying there opting for something closer to Queenstown proper. As far as the room views, you should know you’re going to be looking at a car park if you don’t get a Lakeview room. It’s a $25 per night impost, so that should tell you something. Book smarter or expect less.

If the hotel could be picked up and moved to the other side of the lake, this would be the “winner of winners”. It can’t so factor time and a hire car into your costs. The hotel itself is, to my mind, without complaint. Just too far out of everywhere.

Room Tip: Get a Lakeview room. Complain long enough about paying for WiFi and you'll get it for free
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

not very near queenstown - 15mins drive or take a water taxi but a very cosy place to be, after a long drive. Their bed, sofa and bathtub are awesome places to be, at least in winter! No internet connection in the room, but i guess, it's okay to be disconnected and just lay in the bathtub or watch the channels while lazing on the couch. :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Being a loyal Hilton Hotel customer, I was tossing up between this and the Hilton (on the same grounds) and from the photos this looked good. I arrived on an early flight and put in for an early check in which I did not get, I called at 11.30am and they advised I could check in at 12pm. It is a bit confusing when you arrive as I pulled up at the Hilton and went into reception and was told the hotel was further down the drive. I drove down and luckily there was parking outside, I got a KING KAWARAU DELUXE Lakeview. The check in staff where pleasant, no one to help with the bags, I parked underneath (glad I had a small car) put then when I went to the room I had to go down stairs (a bit tricky when carrying luggage and I dreaded checking out lugging my bags down). I was in room 2118, the room looks nice and modern, but on closer look there where a few disappointments, there was no TV in the bedroom (as the room was more like a bedsit with a sliding door I could see why there was no place to put a TV), no electric blanket, no desk - as I was travelling for business I had to sit on the floor to do work on my laptop, "Hot" label missing off the tap, plug missing in the sink and in the shower/bath, step down into the bathroom - I nearly went for a skate a couple of times, I could not figure out the heater in the bathroom as it was FREEZING in there, turned out the switch was outside the door, but it blew COLD air so was no good anyway,cold floor in the kitchenette (I would have thought underfloor heating in such a modern hotel), the oven was near the floor (I would not try to cook anything in there, other cupboards in the kitchen I could not reach. Not enough space for clothes, no draws only a wardrobe. There is Jet boat rides that operates outside at the end of the lake and it is very noisy, also it is close to the fire station and the sirens go off at all times - really loud. I was talked into buying a voucher for breakfast, I walked down to the resturant down the stairs near the jetty, the area to the entrance was all roped off and there was a sign that said "Open Tues to Sat 4pm ..." but there where people inside, I went to the doors but they where all locked. So I walked up to the deli back up the stairs and the lady let me though a door and told me where to go. Breakfast was OK, glad I did not pay full price, I discovered if I went out the doors down the stairs I would end up at the end of the biulding so I could park my car, but the down side is that you cant get back into the building (as I found out the hard way, with an arm full of groceries).
You really need a car as its miles from anywhere, but they do have a water taxi to Queenstown.
I had room service one night which was nice, but they called to ask why my "Do not Disturb' was on the door as they where here to deliver dinner (I already had my dinner delivered) and they did not pick up the meal tray the following day either, it was the next afternoon that it was finally taken away. I would not be back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lsimpsondusty49
Sibu, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel is located adjacent to the Hilton Queenstown. The hotel does not enjoy a lake view as it is blocked by the Hilton Hotel in front. We have tried to stay in both hotels just to have a comparison between Hilton Queenstown and Kewarau Hotel managed by Hilton. (Hilton Queenstown vs Kawarau Hotel managed by Hilton).

Both hotels are managed by Hilton and the concierge is ready to move our bags over to the other hotel.

Staying at Kawarau is a different experience. Although it is smaller and cheaper than the Hilton Queenstown, it has some plus points to me.

Theres is a tour agent Q Book at the lobby of Kawarau Hotel and they are really helpful in arranging for tours around Queenstown. I actually booked through them by email and the advice given was perfect and we enjoyed all the tours booked through them. Nina, the Japaneses girl was helpful!

There is a kitchenette in the room where it would be ideal for those who wish to cook by themserves. There are ample cooking utensils, knives, plates, forks and spoons, exhaust…

However, the Kawarau hotel does not have fireplace like Hilton do. Also, breakfast is served at Hilton Hotel’s Wakatipu Grill meaning one has to walk to the Hilton Queenstown for breakfast. Anyway, it is just a 3 minutes walk. There is however a noodle house attcahed to Kawarau Hotel.

The hotel is only 10 minutes taxi ride from Airport but about 20 minutes taxi ride or 20 minutes water taxi ride to the CBD of Queenstown. Hotel does provide free shuttle but unless the timing is right, you better use water taxi which is more frequent at NZD10 per person or taxi at about NZD50.

We were given an upgrade as Hilton Honors member. The staff were courteous and efficient. I will definitely consider a return in future..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Campbell, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed four nights here and really enjoyed our stay. There is ample car parking in the underground hotel car park. The hotel is a little tricky to find. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and very nice however there was not a lot of space. You will need a car if you stay here as it is away from the main town of Queenstown however it is a lovely drive over the river brdge and along the lake shore. The bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake facing room if possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Prophetstown, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

This property shares the same resort area with the Hilton. While the Hilton was spacious and the staff very professional the Kawarau down the road was not so. Our room was fine and we are glad we used to points to book. It overlooked their back parking and drive area. The bedroom area did not have any windows and I felt claustrophobic. It is a ways into town and since it was raining we opted to take their shuttle. They have a water taxi at the HIlton you can take but it does not run late. Only stay here if the price is right.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple